Comments running new writer off

I've said that many times. People don't like having that mirror held up to them.
Not that I would want to shame anyone for reading or writing NC/R, I do so myself after all.

Thinking about it, the lack of complaining comments might be also a result of the readership and content of the category not being as varied as it is with LW. The likelihood of someone going to NC/R for a story and finding it upsetting is much lower than the same happening in LW.

What you said about people and mirrors are generally true though :) I'm fairly certain most of the readers never really thought about what it really is they are reading in NC and what those fantasies might say about their internal state of mind.

Not that I would want to shame anyone for reading or writing NC/R, I do so myself after all.

Thinking about it, the lack of complaining comments might be also a result of the readership and content of the category not being as varied as it is with LW. The likelihood of someone going to NC/R for a story and finding it upsetting is much lower than the same happening in LW.

What you said about people and mirrors are generally true though :) I'm fairly certain most of the readers never really thought about what it really is they are reading in NC and what those fantasies might say about their internal state of mind.
This is a big chunk of it. If somehow the Romance and NC/R categories got lumped together, especially if this was the only really sizable site that offered quality stories of one of those types, you’d see the same level of comments going back and forth. “This bodice ripper is pure noncon filth, put it over in Fetish!”

This is a big chunk of it. If somehow the Romance and NC/R categories got lumped together, especially if this was the only really sizable site that offered quality stories of one of those types, you’d see the same level of comments going back and forth. “This bodice ripper is pure noncon filth, put it over in Fetish!”
My point exactly. NC/R is a relatively straightforward category so people going there know what to expect :)

Lowing Wives, I dare to admit, that for a long time I thought it's about happy couples living together :p Color me a naive idealist :p Then people wonder that their cheating stories are misunderstood there? :p

Life would be so much easier, if people would call things what they are, instead of using crazy euphemisms. :)

I want to note that in my most recent story I expressed the desire to write a reconciliation story in the future, once I have a good enough grasp on character writing and plot development to do it in a way I can be satisfied with, and every comment that addressed that was nothing but encouraging. There will be plenty of people who will see a woman being forced to cheat on her husband at gunpoint to save their child's life, and will dismiss it as "cuck shit" if the guy doesn't divorce her, but there are plenty of people willing to encourage authors to tell the story they want to tell.

it struck a chord, both positive and negative, and people are still commenting and arguing over it.
Yeah, I consider hate comments to be a positive sign that it did what a story is supposed to do. Arguments even more so.

My most recent story only has a few comments, but several of them are directed at the first commenter who was brutally negative. And who will never see them because this damn site doesn't have threaded comments with reply notifications.

That was all I had to see to know why this author was a one and done.

If it doesn't, posting under that category should include a warning to writers who don't have a pre-existing large volume of work. And it should probably have comments and ratings off by default - with a warning on the toggle to turn them on.
That's ridiculous. I can find a dozen writers with a single story in any number of categories. Might it be that the LW commenters ran her off? Sure. But presenting it as absolutely the reason is beyond hyperbolic.

And, I'm guessing the author in the OP was genuine (i.e. not a 50 y/o man) -- based on the fact that she pissed off after that one story.

Back