Comments running new writer off

lc69hunter

Thoughtful
https://www.literotica.com/s/the-night-i-cheated

This was published in late 2017, by a first time author - @Marriedgirl_23.

The results? She gained 103 followers, the story has been favorited 254 times, and there have been 180 comments and comments are still being made. However, she has never published another story. It could be that that was all she had. But my feeling was that the hate and vitriol thrown at her ran her off. I think she had potential. such a shame we will probably never see it. It is OK to like or dislike a story, or like or dislike the grammar or syntax. It is not OK to personally attack an author so badly that they leave and not come back

Was it a great story? No, but not bad for a first time author. But unlike many other one off stories, it struck a chord, both positive and negative, and people are still commenting and arguing over it.

I'm not sure what your reading preferences are, but there's no way I'm going to continue with a story that starts with:

"Hi. My name is Alyssa. I'm 5'4", 23 years of age, athletic with a flat tum, round hips and bum, 32C breasts which sit high on my chest, and shapely, toned thighs. I have brunette, shoulder length, wavy hair, and deep brown eyes. I've been married now to Daniel for 8 months."

I'm not sure what your reading preferences are, but there's no way I'm going to continue with a story that starts with:

"Hi. My name is Alyssa. I'm 5'4", 23 years of age, athletic with a flat tum, round hips and bum, 32C breasts which sit high on my chest, and shapely, toned thighs. I have brunette, shoulder length, wavy hair, and deep brown eyes. I've been married now to Daniel for 8 months."
Cut her some slack. It’s her first story. I used to write that way. It’s a typical novice approach. Maybe, like me, she had never written a thing before publishing here.

Emily

Last edited:

The results? She gained 103 followers, the story has been favorited 254 times, and there have been 180 comments and comments are still being made. However, she has never published another story. It could be that that was all she had. But my feeling was that the hate and vitriol thrown at her ran her off. I think she had potential. such a shame we will probably never see it. It is OK to like or dislike a story, or like or dislike the grammar or syntax. It is not OK to personally attack an author so badly that they leave and not come back

Was it a great story? No, but not bad for a first time author. But unlike many other one off stories, it struck a chord, both positive and negative, and people are still commenting and arguing over it.
She chose poorly with LW. I’d have probably fled as well if I’d put my first story there.

There is a significant minority of commenters (and even authors) here who get wet / hard by putting other writers down. It’s very sad really.

It’s a fucking hard thing to write your first story and put it out there. Hell it’s hard for me after eighteen months doing this.

We could all stand to be a bit more kind and encouraging.

Emily

That's not really what many of the commenters were shrieking about, though. I skimmed them and it seems to be ranting about cucks, whores, sluts, and STDs.

At a glance I didn't see anything remotely resembling a helpful critique

Given the genre, some bad comments are to be expected. I didn't read every comment but they appear to be about evenly split between readers wanting more and readers critical of the wife. That might drive her away if she can't take rejection, but there were enough good comments to ease that rejection. The score of 3.9 isn't bad for a first time author either.

Maybe she had only one story in her, she wrote it, and then stopped. I've known that to happen before.

That's not really what many of the commenters were shrieking about, though. I skimmed them and it seems to be ranting about cucks, whores, sluts, and STDs.

At a glance I didn't see anything remotely resembling a helpful critique
Some writers, predominantly female, use online platforms as confessionals. Sharing their deepest secrets or fantasies offers them a sense of relief, but they often disappear after their initial post.

I doubt that any feedback in such cases has a lasting impact.

Whilst I certainly agree with your overall message, I am finding this whole "struck a chord" thing to be extremely overplayed and frankly not a very good argument despite coming up very often around these parts. It's not difficult to write something that upsets people. It takes zero talent. Just think of some offensive and immoral things, throw them together, make the characters take pleasure and enjoyment in these acts, and you're done. Doesn't have to be sexual, by the way.

Trust me, if you write a story about a racist child-murderer or something, you're going to "strike a lot of chords". That doesn't mean it's remotely intelligent writing. It's just being edgy; and far too often it seems that author thinks that just because they get a strong emotional reaction out of their readers, they've achieved something. I strongly disagree with that when you go for such low-hanging fruit. :unsure:

The story you linked reads like "morality bait". Provocative title. Provocative tag-line. As many provocative tags as she could think of. She found FIVE different ways in there to mention the cheating aspect. Then she proceeds to write the story about a 23 year old girl, naming her account "marriedgirl_23", and writing it all as if it is a true story. I mean, come on.. She knew what she was doing. Most likely she revelled in the angry comments more than the positive ones.

Maybe she hadn't read much either.
JK Rowling, author of the most profitable fantasy series in history, and arguably responsible for getting an entire generation to read, by all accounts didn't even know that there was such a thing as a fantasy genre.

Welcome to Loving Wives!
I'm pretty new to all of this (I've published a handful over the last few months)... I'm assuming the LW is to be avoided?

From browsing, I've noticed that it does seem to attract people who appear baffled as to why Loving Wives might contain stories about, well, loving wives.

It's a genre that I am interested in, but I've so far filed under 'Fetish' - just because 'Loving Wives' hasn't necessarily been the main point of the story. I think I'll continue with that approach!

I'm pretty new to all of this (I've published a handful over the last few months)... I'm assuming the LW is to be avoided?

From browsing, I've noticed that it does seem to attract people who appear baffled as to why Loving Wives might contain stories about, well, loving wives.

It's a genre that I am interested in, but I've so far filed under 'Fetish' - just because 'Loving Wives' hasn't necessarily been the main point of the story. I think I'll continue with that approach!
LW can be fine (and it has massive viewership) but you need to know what to write. There is some wiggle room to tell your own story your own way. I have three stories there, only one is remotely what the majority crave. The two non-traditional stories are at 3.8x and 4.1x. My more [but not wholly] traditional LW story is at 4.6x.

But I have no real interest in the genre. If you are willing to forego the eyeballs, you can post LW stories on other categories and get much less grief.

Emily

Last edited:

There is a large and vocal contingent there that have particular tastes in their stories, and if you don't follow their desires, they'll let you know.

There are BTB (Burn the Bitch) stories where women cheat on their faithful husbands and they get their just desserts. Divorce, losing their children, left destitute, and in some commenter's fantasies, death to the whore.

The husband is the wronged party, and the wife deserves everything she gets.

There is a competing style, called RAAC (Reconciliation at any cost) where the wife cheats, husband finds out, they have a tiff, make up, and their problem is resolved.

If you write to what the loudest commenters want, you can score well. Otherwise, expect far lower scores than other categories here.

Loving Wives is fine if you have a thick enough skin to accept the nasty comments and relatively low scores. The advantage of it is that it has a large readership. So, for example, if you publish an unabashed "hot wife" story in Loving Wives, you'll probably get a lot of views, and you might pick up a lot of favorites and glowing comments. But you'll also have a lower than average score and plenty of negative comments because a significant component of the LW readership hates those stories and is highly motivated to tell you about their hatred. Do you have a thick skin? That's the question. If not, you might want to post those sorts of stories elsewhere. I've published "hot wife" type stories in the Exhibitionist category with a fair degree of success. Just make the wives exhibitionist as well as hot and they fit right in there.

Do you have a thick skin?
Easily as thick as tissue paper, I'd say :)

My stories seem to be getting decent scores through the Fetish channel, but I don't think they get that many views. But I'm mega new to this kind of writing and so wouldn't really expect otherwise. And, to be honest, I'm doing it for fun and to balance off my more considered output elsewhere.

I'm not sure what your point is, but I think you're making one HELL of an assumption if you conclude that you know why that writer chose not to post again.

Unless it's your alt, of course. Or you're in touch with them offline. At which point they should be posting this, not you. Otherwise? You're no mindreader.

And even if you're right... what are we to do about it?

It always boggled my mind, how cheating invokes such strong emotions from readers, but at the same time I don't remember ever having seen anyone complain under a noncon story, about how filthy rape really is.

I wonder why that is?
- maybe it's the loving wives category being slightly misleading in name?
- maybe it's the fact that a cheating wife is a woman, which pisses off the same broken folks, that would otherwise be okay forcing themselves on one..

Dunno really. At times I wish I would have studied psychology, so many research opportunities that I believe are largely untapped.:)

I mean there sure are some double standards there in society:
- a man having a different partner for every night is proof of how manly a beast he is.
- a women doing the same is considered a whore :)

Strange world we live in.

It doesn't appear that she responded to any of the comments. I think I did once on one of the two LW stories I have. She may not have realized that those people are all bark and no bite. But without her input, we will never really know what happened to her.

As an aside, I should give my location as east of the Bronx River but west of the Hutchinson. That gives you about a mile and a half to ponder.

Back