Comments running new writer off

I'm not sure what your reading preferences are, but there's no way I'm going to continue with a story that starts with:

"Hi. My name is Alyssa. I'm 5'4", 23 years of age, athletic with a flat tum, round hips and bum, 32C breasts which sit high on my chest, and shapely, toned thighs. I have brunette, shoulder length, wavy hair, and deep brown eyes. I've been married now to Daniel for 8 months."
i've read many stories in the Loving Wife category that started out that way, written by both men and women and they end up decent to actually really good. personally there is nothing wrong with starting a story like that as it gives the reader an idea of what the MC of the story looks like. visuals can be a powerful tool for writers.

this is of course my personal opinion. again, i've read other authors who do it and receive few hate compared to this story being brought up in question.

I was thinking of a LW Hot Husband 750 worder. Do you think that would go down well?

Emily

No. It's not what the readership is interested in.

Funny, I have a handyman story idea along those lines. An open-minded wife encourages her handyman husband to service her friend's plumbing. Sort of cuckquean-ish. Think the torch and pitchfork crowd would be upset?

Last edited:
i wonder if LW category could be broken down a bit more. maybe a bit more of LW for wives and husbands who get along. and the BTB category for those that wish to (burn the bitch\burn the bastard) for those with a fetish of hurting the other partner for something both sides do?

There is definitely a bias in stories when it comes to LW. I myself am not really interested in the alternative lifestyle ones, so I just dont read them. Never saw the point of scoring a 1 on a story I didnt read, nor continuing reading a story I am clearly not interested in.

As a newbie writer Iā€™ve noticed how my best scoring story there is the most violent one, and the one Iā€™m more satisfied with has the lowest score, but it also has 1/5th the ratings and many less views, so maybe I just picked a bad day to post it, or chose a bad title for selling it to the readers.

If I posted in other categories frequently and wanted to post a hotwife story I might have also considered posting in an alt account, as after every new story your previous ones seem to get a noticeable amount of extra traffic, and the troll brigade might punish you if they donā€™t like your submission (although in my case it has improved ratings so far, as I dont write the stories they have issues with).

There is definitely a bias in stories when it comes to LW. I myself am not really interested in the alternative lifestyle ones, so I just dont read them. Never saw the point of scoring a 1 on a story I didnt read, nor continuing reading a story I am clearly not interested in.

As a newbie writer Iā€™ve noticed how my best scoring story there is the most violent one, and the one Iā€™m more satisfied with has the lowest score, but it also has 1/5th the ratings and many less views, so maybe I just picked a bad day to post it, or chose a bad title for selling it to the readers.

If I posted in other categories frequently and wanted to post a hotwife story I might have also considered posting in an alt account, as after every new story your previous ones seem to get a noticeable amount of extra traffic, and the troll brigade might punish you if they donā€™t like your submission (although in my case it has improved ratings so far, as I dont write the stories they have issues with).
for my story, i considered posting in LW category. but after reading alot of it. i figured romance would be a better category. not as many readers maybe, but seems a more considerate(?) reader population in there. I did notice that alot of the stories where btb is the main target gets a lot of hate. where RAAC gets more mixed reviews.

I write hotwife and cuckold type content and learned very quickly that you will be absolutely roasted putting that content under loving wives.

Now I stick to Fetish, seems to trigger less people. I'd say I'm pretty niche even for cuckold stories. So I don't want to waste anyone's time reading something that doesn't interest them.

I think a lot of writers are one and done though, so it might not be the comments that drove her off.

for my story, i considered posting in LW category. but after reading alot of it. i figured romance would be a better category. not as many readers maybe, but seems a more considerate(?) reader population in there. I did notice that alot of the stories where btb is the main target gets a lot of hate. where RAAC gets more mixed reviews.
Reconciliation stories can do well, and there are many fantastic ones in the category, but they are fighting an uphill battle. If the reconciliation feels forced, or puts into question the dignity of the betrayed partner, the scores will be low.

I prefer a good reconciliation story over a good BTB one (assuming similar quality), but it is much harder to pull off, as there needs to be some serious character development that BTB stories donā€™t need to have. A good btb just needs a creative way of dealing with the cheater, or a satisfying scene where their world comes crashing down, whereas a good reconciliation needs to develop a character from a point where they are willing to cheat to a point where they acknowledge their mistakes and manage to make it up to their spouse, and that is not as easy to do in a satisfying way.

Reconciliation stories can do well, and there are many fantastic ones in the category, but they are fighting an uphill battle. If the reconciliation feels forced, or puts into question the dignity of the betrayed partner, the scores will be low.

I prefer a good reconciliation story over a good BTB one (assuming similar quality), but it is much harder to pull off, as there needs to be some serious character development that BTB stories donā€™t need to have. A good btb just needs a creative way of dealing with the cheater, or a satisfying scene where their world comes crashing down, whereas a good reconciliation needs to develop a character from a point where they are willing to cheat to a point where they acknowledge their mistakes and manage to make it up to their spouse, and that is not as easy to do in a satisfying way.
fully agree. for me, reconciliation stories are better as a serial. btb maybe a good one, but most seem to be good only as a flash one off story. reconciliation is also a lot harder to write, as the writer is under more pressure to, like you said, flesh out the characters more so than a btb.

Loving Wives strikes again.

But please staunch defenders, tell us again how everyone who says the categories readership is an issue is just making things up.
This category seems to attract a rather rough crowd, both readers and writers alike. Its branches extend wide.

Things are not going to change; if the tough faction were to disappear, activity there would decline considerably.

It's quite ironic that the same posters who vehemently oppose aggressive commentary engage in similar behavior themselves. During my brief time here, I've been attacked and mocked by various posters for no apparent reason other than their enjoyment of being rude.

It always boggled my mind, how cheating invokes such strong emotions from readers, but at the same time I don't remember ever having seen anyone complain under a noncon story, about how filthy rape really is.
I've said that many times. People don't like having that mirror held up to them.

This category seems to attract a rather rough crowd, both readers and writers alike. Its branches extend wide.

Things are not going to change; if the tough faction were to disappear, activity there would decline considerably.

It's quite ironic that the same posters who vehemently oppose aggressive commentary engage in similar behavior themselves. During my brief time here, I've been attacked and mocked by various posters for no apparent reason other than their enjoyment of being rude.
Activity would decline, but the remaining comments would be more supportive or constructive, and the scores would be better.

I guess the choice, from strictly a numbers angle would be what would you prefer?

100 comments 1k votes and a 3.80

Or 40 comments, 500 votes and a 4.55?

If the shit faction was to be run off, I think the readership would grow over time once they know its safe to come back and comment without being attacked as much as the author is.

I have messaged her to see if she is still around. She may not have a clue about her following and how many readers are still arguing over her story

It always boggled my mind, how cheating invokes such strong emotions from readers, but at the same time I don't remember ever having seen anyone complain under a noncon story, about how filthy rape really is.
I and several other people (including @lovecraft68 on this thread, and @Cagivagurl ) have pointed that out on numerous occasions.

I try to do it dispassionately nowadays.

Emily

I think that simply comes to how wide the category happens to be. Anyone going into the non-con section knows what to expect.

Loving wives, however, is home to two very different kinds of stories. The first is the hotwife and swinging stories, where extramarital sex is the key of the story. The second is the cheated upon story, which might have sex, but puts the focus on the breaking (and potential mending) of the relationship.

What this means in practice is that there are two very different people going there, and their expectations do not align with what they might find. My three stories in the category align with the second group, and I have had (few) people complain in comments that my stories did not belong there. Both groups are interested in one kind of story, and care little about the other, and the second group seems to be bigger and more vocal than the first.

I could see something similar happen if for some reason Gay and Lesbian sections had been lumped together, and one group tried to kick the other away.

In short, I think that its not hypocrisy, its just that people who read LW for the second group of stories do not want to have the first in there, and if they were forced to read 3/4 noncon stories to get one of the kind they like, youā€™d see those comments there too. The obvious solution would be to split the category in two, but I assume that would be a massive headache for the archive.

I think that simply comes to how wide the category happens to be. Anyone going into the non-con section knows what to expect.

Loving wives, however, is home to two very different kinds of stories. The first is the hotwife and swinging stories, where extramarital sex is the key of the story. The second is the cheated upon story, which might have sex, but puts the focus on the breaking (and potential mending) of the relationship.

This is definitely the case, although I think there's more than two camps. One just enjoys sharing and swinging on a consensual level. The second likes cuckoldry and cheating on a non-consensual level where someone's getting hurt - like a form of emotional masochism. The third likes stories of what they feel is justice, where a guilty part is punished for bad behaviour, like a form of emotional sadism. In reality, none of these three groups like the stories that doesn't fit their preferences, yet they're all shoved into the same category here on Lit.

Splitting the category into separate ones would do a lot for finding the right audience for your uploaded work. However, this has been addressed numerous times and people often point out the logistical nightmare of such a thing - which I can absolutely find to be fair. I mean, what do you do with the thousands of old stories? Where do they go, and who decides that? I doubt a mod would want to read through all of them and then shuffling them around. šŸ˜…

Disagree with the premise.

Some people just want to make one story. Sometimes a couple and have no interested beyond that.

Isn't there that famous quote; 'Everyone has one novel in them.'

Disagree with the premise.

Some people just want to make one story. Sometimes a couple and have no interested beyond that.

Isn't there that famous quote; 'Everyone has one novel in them.'
That's very possible. I thought I had two or three in me and then that would be that. Itch scratched, move on to other hobbies. I had no plans to spend over a year and a half now writing smut. What a weird ol' world eh?

That's very possible. I thought I had two or three in me and then that would be that. Itch scratched, move on to other hobbies. I had no plans to spend over a year and a half now writing smut. What a weird ol' world eh?

Same with me, had plans to make one, had no thoughts beyond that.

But that first story was incest so there were a ton of view. lol

I'm tempted to write a story specifically aimed at the LW's crowd which hits every trigger available within that genre. In other words, I wouldn't cheat and sneak hardsports or something totally unexpected into it. Rather, I'd plot the thing so that every plot decision runs contrary to the inclination of vocal minority.

I'm interested to see whether I can produce a (relatively) well written piece that generates a feedback score of 1 - just because that crowd finds it so objectionable.

Same with me, had plans to make one, had no thoughts beyond that.

But that first story was incest so there were a ton of view. lol
My first story was in SF&F and got 4000 views. I thought that was huge! It was months before I ventured into I/T and realised what "huge" actually meant.

I was thinking of a LW Hot Husband 750 worder. Do you think that would go down well?

Emily
Hot husband stories typically do better, but still not ā€œwell.ā€ It really is a monogamy fetish, even if there are some misogynists there. That said, the hot husband stories tend to be better written on average, so itā€™s hard to say. A lot of the hotwife stuff is barely a step up (if that) from Penthouse Forum letters, but most of the hot husband stuff is longer form with character development, etc. Not saying there arenā€™t hotwife stories like that, butā€¦ yeah. Just like everywhere else on the site, there are a lot of poorly written stories; itā€™s just that in LW, they canā€™t count on kink to buoy scores and avoid harsh comments.

I'm tempted to write a story specifically aimed at the LW's crowd which hits every trigger available within that genre. In other words, I wouldn't cheat and sneak hardsports or something totally unexpected into it. Rather, I'd plot the thing so that every plot decision runs contrary to the inclination of vocal minority.

I'm interested to see whether I can produce a (relatively) well written piece that generates a feedback score of 1 - just because that crowd finds it so objectionable.
Itā€™s been done, more than once, even just in the last year.

Back