Rejected submissions for seemingly trivial reasons.

SomeoneWhoWritesThings

Occasional Writer
I have submitted two stories so far (with maybe a dozen in the WIP / Idea stage).

The first one was accepted without issue, but the second one has been bounced twice so far for seemingly trivial typographic errors (a few misplaced commas, and some other minor punctuation).

Are different categories reviewed by different people? or is there some other reason why one of my stories is being so readily rejected?

For reference the first story is in the Trans&CD category, the second one is in the Lesbian category.

I have checked and the CD story has a number of the same minor issues that the Lesbian story is being rejected for. While I agree they are "technically" wrong, they have no impact on the story flow at all, it just feels like the reviewer is being excessively pedantic.

But more importantly there are plenty of already published stories on here that suffer from far worse linguistic, typographical, grammatical, or spelling errors that should have also been bounced if this level of accuracy was really a requirement, suggesting the standard isn't being applied uniformly across the site.

No conspiracies or category prejudices (outside of *maybe* the cats naturally nearest the site's do not cross line seeing due diligence)

But more importantly there are plenty of already published stories on here that suffer from far worse linguistic, typographical, grammatical, or spelling errors that should have also been bounced if this level of accuracy was really a requirement, suggesting the standard isn't being applied uniformly across the site.
"That's not fair" is the path on which only pain lies.

It's tough taking on faith your assertion of minimal grammatical mistakes being the full cause of rejection.

Nothing to do with you, just historically these type threads OPs usually omit some key consideration beyond cut and dry grammar which ends up being the most probable reason for rejection.

I have submitted two stories so far (with maybe a dozen in the WIP / Idea stage).

The first one was accepted without issue, but the second one has been bounced twice so far for seemingly trivial typographic errors (a few misplaced commas, and some other minor punctuation).

Are different categories reviewed by different people? or is there some other reason why one of my stories is being so readily rejected?

For reference the first story is in the Trans&CD category, the second one is in the Lesbian category.

I have checked and the CD story has a number of the same minor issues that the Lesbian story is being rejected for. While I agree they are "technically" wrong, they have no impact on the story flow at all, it just feels like the reviewer is being excessively pedantic.

Pick up a grammar aid, maybe Grammarly or ProWritingAid to help with common grammar errors and stuff like that.

Breezing through your accepted submission, I really don't see how grammar pings could sink the ship. Typically, unless trying something way out of our comfort zone POV or stylistically, grammar is mostly a constant unless you focus on improvement.

Reinforces my gut instinct there's more to the rejection than less than a handful of rogue commas. *Maybe* if you struggled in the same exact manner each time (like dialogue or compound sentence faux pas) then it's an assist on helping you not make what are repeating mistakes in the future. One-ish off grammar trips? Seems... unlikely.

There is one person doing the reviewing, possibly with the help of a few scripts to detect problematic keywords, and like anyone, she apparently has certain grammatical pet peeves that bother her particularly. She reviews well over 100 stories a day most of the time, and cannot therefore be giving most of them a close read. Ergo, she's presumably looking at random samples from most stories, likely focusing on any sections that dinged the keyword search, such as possible underage references.

It may be that she simply found a poorly edited section of your work (with regard to whatever pet peeves) and assumed that it was indicative of the whole. She might also be doing something as simple as opening the text in Word or a similar program with most of the grammar flags turned off except for the things that really irk her, and if she scrolls through and sees lots of squiggles sends it back as a matter of course. That may even be a quick way to search for possible AI, with a different set of grammar flags emphasized. If Word looks at a fresh document and thinks it sounds perfect, that's maybe a bit fishy.

There is one person doing the reviewing, possibly with the help of a few scripts to detect problematic keywords, and like anyone, she apparently has certain grammatical pet peeves that bother her particularly. She reviews well over 100 stories a day most of the time, and cannot therefore be giving most of them a close read. Ergo, she's presumably looking at random samples from most stories, likely focusing on any sections that dinged the keyword search, such as possible underage references.
This is a usual explanation, one many people give to newcomers who ask about problems with their stories, but I can't help thinking we are misinforming them by reiterating this common assumption. Nobody here knows this. Some of the older members put this explanation into circulation, based on something Laurel said like 10 or more years ago. So many things changed since then, if it was true even then. The best we can tell is that there is a clear shortage of manpower on Literotica, for whatever reason that is. It could just as well be that she doesn't give a fuck anymore.

As far as anyone knows, there is only one submissions editor here, Laurel, who owns the site. Having a meeting of the minds on the acceptability of your work is with her and only her--not with other users of the site. She can be reached via the "conversation" feature in the upper right of this page.

This is a usual explanation, one many people give to newcomers who ask about problems with their stories, but I can't help thinking we are misinforming them by reiterating this common assumption. Nobody here knows this. Some of the older members put this explanation into circulation, based on something Laurel said like 10 or more years ago. So many things changed since then, if it was true even then. The best we can tell is that there is a clear shortage of manpower on Literotica, for whatever reason that is. It could just as well be that she doesn't give a fuck anymore.

RANT ALERT!!!

Don't know Laurel, but I do appreciate her. This site has been up for 25 years. As a software developer and database architect, I have some appreciation for the scope of the job she has taken on, and it is massive. Sure, there are issues and problems, things that annoy us and issues we disagree with. To imply she 'just doesn't give a fuck' anymore, is in my opinion severe. Pretty sure if it were true, she'd pull the plug in a heartbeat. Instead, she supports all of us and our hobby. From the looking around I have done, there is no other place like this.
I've an idea there are profit points on this site, but everything I do is FREE! FREE! I'm going to cut Laurel and her team, however large or small it is, all the slack she/they need. I'd humbly ask we all do the same.

As for the OP. Use the opportunity to go back and re-read and rework your story. If you're like me, you'll find things you can make better. The resubmit and see where it goes.

Laurel told me last week that she spends virtually all of her time on stories.

Em

Tell her I said thank you. Per my ant above, I'm getting tired of people complaining about a free service she offers to all of us.
I’ll say again publicly, Laurel has been unfailingly supportive and responsive towards me. I’m not anyone special. My stories don’t pull in massive crowds. I post nonsense here, but AH is a tiny fraction of the forums; and the forums are a tiny fraction of the site. There is no reason for me to get special treatment; beyond trying to be polite in all my interactions with her.

Em

Last edited:
I’ll say again publicly, Laurel has been unfailing supportive and responsive towards me. I’m not anyone special. My stories don’t pull in massive crowds. I post nonsense here, but AH is a tiny fraction of the forums; and the forums are a tiny fraction of the site. There is no reason for me to get special treatment; beyond trying to be polite in all my interactions with her.

Em
But are you sure she didn't see you standing next to the Must Be This Tall to Ride sign at the entrance to Literotica and just feel a surge of pity? ;)😇

Tell her I said thank you. Per my rant above, I'm getting tired of people complaining about a free service she offers to all of us.
The dedication it takes to do this day in and day out for 25 years is hard to fathom.

The number of things that can go wrong with a site this size is innumerable, and between her and Manu, they have the work of 5-6 people.

That they keep things running as well as they do is a testament to the work they put in.

But are you sure she didn't see you standing next to the Must Be This Tall to Ride sign at the entrance to Literotica and just feel a surge of pity? ;)😇
Be careful. I had my turn in the barrel with a petite blonde back in college. You DO NOT want to piss them off. Distance is NOT a factor. LOL

That could well be true. But you left “cowgirl” out of the sign text.

Em

The dedication it takes to do this day in and day out for 25 years is hard to fathom.

The number of things that can go wrong with a site this size is innumerable, and between her and Manu, they have the work of 5-6 people.

That they keep things running as well as they do is a testament to the work they put in.
What he said ☝️☝️☝️

Laurel told me last week that she spends virtually all of her time on stories.

Em
No comment on that, really.

And to respond to your next post. I am very, very polite in my PMs to her. She is ignoring my PMs 90% of the time, at least, even if my PMs are very concrete. I am happy that she is so chatty with you, but do not presume that is the way everyone else is treated.

@ShelbyDawn57 can you not misinterpret my words like that? That is not what I said. I used it as an example only, as a possibility that for all we know could be just as possible as the one Bamagan offered because we SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW. Furthermore, you were speaking as if this was a non-profit website. You are free to cling to the notion that all that she does on Lit, she does out of sheer goodwill, but I choose to be a bit more realistic. Regardless of how my words here are often painted, I respect Literotica policies and I am 100% on board with the notion that it's her website so she can set any policies she wants. What I am not okay with is that she doesn't enforce those same policies, and what I am definitely not okay with is this wall of silence she has put between herself and authors, the fact that she doesn't participate even in a minimal way in any thread, not even in those threads that are exceptionally constructive and contain great suggestions.

And to respond to your next post. I am very, very polite in my PMs to her. She is ignoring my PMs 90% of the time, at least, even if my PMs are very concrete. I am happy that she is so chatty with you, but do not presume that is the way everyone else is treated.

@ShelbyDawn57 can you not misinterpret my words like that? That is not what I said. I used it as an example only, as a possibility that for all we know could be just as possible as the one Bamagan offered because we SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW. Furthermore, you were speaking as if this was a non-profit website. You are free to cling to the notion that all that she does on Lit, she does out of sheer goodwill, but I choose to be a bit more realistic. Regardless of how my words here are often painted, I respect Literotica policies and I am 100% on board with the notion that it's her website so she can set any policies she wants. What I am not okay with is that she doesn't enforce those same policies, and what I am definitely not okay with is this wall of silence she has put between herself and authors, the fact that she doesn't participate even in a minimal way in any thread, not even in those threads that are exceptionally constructive and contain great suggestions.
I have no idea why she responds to me and not to you. Merely offering a different perspective. And I wasn’t suggesting you were rude, merely pointing out the only thing I think I do that might explain her responsiveness. There isn’t anything else.

Em

I have no idea why she responds to me and not to you. Merely offering a different perspective. And I wasn’t suggesting you were rude, merely pointing out the only thing I think I do that might explain her responsiveness. There isn’t anything else.

Em
There is a rule against it, otherwise, I would screenshot my correspondence with her, so you could see I am not making shit up. I know you didn't mean anything offensive, I know you that much. It is just that I am generally fed up with being targeted every time I post some criticism towards the website.

There is a rule against it, otherwise, I would screenshot my correspondence with her, so you could see I am not making shit up. I know you didn't mean anything offensive, I know you that much. It is just that I am generally fed up with being targeted every time I post some criticism towards the website.
I’m not targeting you.

Em

Your post was obviously a trigger, specifically the quote I called out. I apologize if you feel it was directed solely at you. There seem to be subtle threads of discontent running through a lot of threads lately.
As being not for profit, yeah, I'm not naïve. I alluded to that myth; "I've an idea there are profit points on this site, but everything I do is FREE! FREE!"
We are advertising, I'm sure.

My key point was still true. What we as authors do is free and on occasion, draws compensation for things like winning a contest.
I would suggest, however, that running a site like this is a massive undertaking and most of the complaints you lay out are, I would suggest, a misalignment of your expectations rather than indictment on her behavior.
There seem to be a few that have seen behind the curtain, but you and I are not on that list. It is unfair of us to expect more than she is willing to give, and, unfortunately for you and me, she is the sole arbiter of that.

Back