One Million Words

Mathematics are my favorite subjects.
Mathematics is an area of knowledge consisting of multiple topics, such number theory, algebra, calculus, etc. But you are correct; it is a singular noun itself just like another area of knowledge - linguistics. (I couldn't resist)

"ics" is a common suffix to words that means "study" or "study of." The origin is Greek. The fact that it ends in "s" isn't intended to make the word plural. Mathematics. Physics. Economics. Linguistics. Hermeneutics. They're all singular nouns.

I'd analogize "math" to the use of "econ" as a shorthand term for "economics." Nobody says "econs." (That I know of.)

I'd analogize "math" to the use of "econ" as a shorthand term for "economics." Nobody says "econs." (That I know of.)
Because of my daily sex dyslexia, I read that as "apologize" and I was wondering why the heck you were apologizing.

EB notes Simon's argument, which for him fell over at the first bend. Physics, not physic, ergo maths, not math. At least the English are logical when they make shit up. Anyway, who the fuck says econ?

Carry on ;).

Duleigh's achievement made me curious, so I added up my numbers. I've published 58 stories since Dec. 2016, and my word total is only a bit under 535,000, lower than I expected, so I'm impressed with his results even more. Average words per story = 9214, a bit fewer than 3 Lit pages per story. The average results are a bit skewed by having published 7 stories for the 750-word contest.

It's been 2459 days since the publication of my first story, which means I've churned out only 209 words per day since then of published text. Ouch, that sounds terrible!

Contest, event, or challenge?
Duleigh's achievement made me curious, so I added up my numbers. I've published 58 stories since Dec. 2016, and my word total is only a bit under 535,000, lower than I expected, so I'm impressed with his results even more. Average words per story = 9214, a bit fewer than 3 Lit pages per story. The average results are a bit skewed by having published 7 stories for the 750-word contest.

It's been 2459 days since the publication of my first story, which means I've churned out only 209 words per day since then of published text. Ouch, that sounds terrible!

Physics, not physic, ergo maths, not math.

Physics is the complete word, not the abbreviation, so the comparison doesn't hold. It's not at all intuitive why one would add "s" to the end of the abbreviation. I can't think of another example where this is done.

The vernacular abbreviation for "psychology" is "psych," (here in the states, anyway) not "psychy." E.g., "My next class is Psych 101."

It's not a hill I'm going to die on, because it's just a matter of random custom rather than grammatical logic.

I'm over 1.5 million words in 60 stories since 2017. Given my awful standard of typing, I shudder to think how many keystrokes that makes, given that the delete and backspace buttons on my pc are practically worn out.

As I said on another thread, if the delete key was Tippex, I'd be using it by the bathtub.

I go for quality not quantity.

Actually that's lying also. I'm just extremely slow.

Congratulations to all you prolific writers. Thanks for keeping this site going.

One Million Words​

So, my inner nerd won out. I went through my stories this morning lying in bed and did the math.

About 268k words published in a bit over a year, so I will be just short of 300k words when my current work-in-progress story finally emerges from its chrysalis.

My average story length is just under 6.7k, if I treat chapters as stand-alone stories. If I roll chapters up into a single total, then it’s 8.1k.

I also redid my weighted average rating, which I haven’t looked at in a while. It’s 4.43 overall, and 4.55 if I exclude my “experiment” with Harper’s Reckoning*, which is a total outlier (rated 3.32 with no other story under 4).

Em

* Which reminds me of the underwriters at work wanting to know their loss ratios excluding some major event - like that wasn’t real money we had to pay out!

Back