One Year of Hackery

NoTalentHack

Corrupting Influence
This is pure self-aggrandizement. Feel free to skip it, but so many of y'all have been integral to my enjoyment of writing for Literotica that this seemed like the best place to post it.

It's been one year since my first story got published on the site, and it's been a helluva year.

I originally got into doing this after I got tired of working on a visual novel, because I liked the writing, tolerated the programming, and loathed the art portion. I may return to that now that I have some of the art issues sorted, but I don't know. Regardless, that first story, I Know My Wife, and its reception was exactly the punch in the arm I needed. The response to After the Future is Gone, my second, absolutely blew me away and got me completely addicted to the dopamine flood of writing and publishing. Especially in Loving Wives, where the feedback comes blisteringly fast and ruthlessly honest. And while I'm not quite the publishing fiend I was in those first few months, this feels like it's going to be, at the very least, a hobby that's going to stick.

That's important to me, because ADHD--or at least the form I have--lends itself to picking up new interests, throwing myself wholeheartedly into them, reaching a journeyman level of skill quickly, then abandoning them completely when the dopamine flood slows to a trickle. Almost every person with the type of ADHD I have has a laundry list of hobbies, often quite expensive ones, that we not only sucked the marrow from but ate the bones, too. So there's been this longtime fear I have that writing is going to be like one of those kinds.

So far, though, it's not. Instead, it's more like videogaming. I rarely get tired of videogaming, I just get tired of individual videogames or genres. I threw myself into boomer shooters for a year, then stopped almost entirely. I've been playing nothing but fishing games for a couple months (Dave the Diver is great!), but their hold is slackening. The next thing could be 4X games or bullet hell games or sims or or or. Just like writing, it turns out. Tired of LW? Knock out a stroker, a sci-fi story, or a romance!

So, yes, you're stuck with me.

While I was in the throes of my New Hobby Energy period, I set myself some profoundly dumb goals, then stupidly added to them during the year.

• Enter every contest and event
  • Get a story up in at least twelve categories (and, preferably, a red H in at least 12 categories)
  • Create 52 works in 52 weeks
  • Get 2000 followers
  • Publish something for pay
  • Collaborate with others
I only realized how really unrealistic all that was months later. By then, I'd started to feel the dopamine feed slowing, and I really started to regret setting those goals for myself. Then, some personal tragedies happened during the summer and early fall that made it so I had weeks where I didn't write anything at all; I think I put maybe 4K words down in all of August. Between all of that, I started to feel like the kid who gets caught with a cigarette by his dad and has to smoke a carton to break the habit. I got burnt out, badly, for a while.

But I still did it. I hit my goals.

Mostly, anyways. I missed two events that were added to the calendar after the year started and one that ended less than a week after I set my goal. I only hit 1990 followers as of today. But other than that? I hit all of them: 52 in 52, 16 categories, red Hs in 12 categories, published two stories for pay (I can buy a Starbucks with the proceeds!), and several collaborations.

I couldn't have done any of it, though, without the friends I've made here. They encouraged me, helped me, collaborated with me, and commiserated with me. They told me it was okay to miss the goals when IRL got rough, but they didn't discourage me from trying. @seraph_nocturne wrote a wonderful set of shared stories with me. @elizaloo narrated one of my stories. @MediocreAuthor caught my mistakes. @Djmac1031, @EmilyMiller, @oneagainst, @ThatNewGuy--along with many, many more that I hope I don't offend by omitting their names--beta read for me and chatted with me about writing and publishing and all sorts of other topics. Thank you to all of them, especially.

As to the next year? Hell, I don't know. I've taken a couple weeks off, and now I'm writing again. I'm looking at Medium, Amazon, going back to my visual novel (thank you, Stable Diffusion, for making the art process suck less), doing some editing... I have no idea. But I know, mixed in there, I'll still be writing and posting stories here. See y'all in the New section.

Congrats 🍾🥂🍾🥂🍾🥂

You’ve made a splash here for sure.

It’s great to have Lit leavened by a dose of humanity and intellect and humor.

It’s great to have people around with both compassion and passion.

More of the same in the next 12 months please 😊.

BTW my goals were much cooler:

1. Post some shit
  2. Don’t make a total fool of yourself
Achieved 1, not so sure about 2 😬

Emily

Congrats, my friend.

Grandiose goals, but pretty impressive first year.

You're one of the few (okay, only so far) authors to get me to read LW stories lol.

(No, wait, Emily's written a few too)

I've enjoyed beta reading for you when I can, and look forward to working with you again at some point.

I know we kicked around an idea for a story to write together. Maybe one of these days.

That's important to me, because ADHD--or at least the form I have--lends itself to picking up new interests, throwing myself wholeheartedly into them, reaching a journeyman level of skill quickly, then abandoning them completely when the dopamine flood slows to a trickle.

Congrats. I'm also concerned how accurately you have described me.

Hey, @NoTalentHack , I just wanted to say that while I'm only just starting on my own writing journey and I'm not sure where it will take me or how far it will go, I wasn't sure if I'd continue past my first story until I read both of the Perspectives of Infidelity series. Your writing provided me with a real inspiration for how I might approach my first ongoing story, and I'm not sure I would have got there if I hadn't read that story at exactly the right time.

I've still got a long way to go and I think I'll take longer to get there, but I am enjoying the journey so far and just wanted to say maybe helping someone else be inspired to continue writing wasn't one of your goals, but your writing has helped me feel like there's room enough in erotica for the telling the stories I want to tell and how I want to tell them, and thank you.

BTW my goals were much cooler:

1. Post some shit
  2. Don’t make a total fool of yourself
Achieved 1, not so sure about 2 😬
Hey, you stole my goals.

Anyway, great work, @NoTalentHack. That's quite a bucket list, and you kicked it hard. Oh... wait, that might be too much of a mixed analogy. Sorry.

You do great work, became one of my favorites right off the bat.

I re-read your post. I'm trying to write "something good" which is causing my publishing to slow down (and my dopamine).

Maybe a dip in to LW is what I need.

@NoTalentHack

Mr. Hack, I consider it a privilege to work with you; you are most definitely Talented and I know your writing future is quite bright!

You set some lofty goals for yourself and achieved them - despite the burn out and life in general - CONGRATULATIONS! You rock dude and I'm happy to call you a friend.

Here's to a continued wild ride in 2024 :nana:

We started publishing within 4 days of each other! 11/23 will be the one year mark for me.

Good stories, NTH. Here's to many more. 🍾🥂

Such epic accomplishments in such a short amount of time. I aspire to be on your level of managing ADHD brain and getting work published. As always, I can't say it enough, it was more than great fun collaborating with you and getting to know you since I've been lurking around the AH. You've been such a fantastic friend. We're gonna have to toss our brains together on another epic erotic literature mission, whenever I get my head out of la-la-land long enough to focus on publishing. 🖤 But until then, I think it's safe to say you're more than ready to move toward diving into the main stream.

Godspeed! And get a new, suave pseudo for taking it all big time... the one you're using is an atrocious misrepresentation! 😁

This is pure self-aggrandizement. Feel free to skip it, but so many of y'all have been integral to my enjoyment of writing for Literotica that this seemed like the best place to post it.

It's been one year since my first story got published on the site, and it's been a helluva year.

I originally got into doing this after I got tired of working on a visual novel, because I liked the writing, tolerated the programming, and loathed the art portion. I may return to that now that I have some of the art issues sorted, but I don't know. Regardless, that first story, I Know My Wife, and its reception was exactly the punch in the arm I needed. The response to After the Future is Gone, my second, absolutely blew me away and got me completely addicted to the dopamine flood of writing and publishing. Especially in Loving Wives, where the feedback comes blisteringly fast and ruthlessly honest. And while I'm not quite the publishing fiend I was in those first few months, this feels like it's going to be, at the very least, a hobby that's going to stick.

That's important to me, because ADHD--or at least the form I have--lends itself to picking up new interests, throwing myself wholeheartedly into them, reaching a journeyman level of skill quickly, then abandoning them completely when the dopamine flood slows to a trickle. Almost every person with the type of ADHD I have has a laundry list of hobbies, often quite expensive ones, that we not only sucked the marrow from but ate the bones, too. So there's been this longtime fear I have that writing is going to be like one of those kinds.

So far, though, it's not. Instead, it's more like videogaming. I rarely get tired of videogaming, I just get tired of individual videogames or genres. I threw myself into boomer shooters for a year, then stopped almost entirely. I've been playing nothing but fishing games for a couple months (Dave the Diver is great!), but their hold is slackening. The next thing could be 4X games or bullet hell games or sims or or or. Just like writing, it turns out. Tired of LW? Knock out a stroker, a sci-fi story, or a romance!

So, yes, you're stuck with me.

While I was in the throes of my New Hobby Energy period, I set myself some profoundly dumb goals, then stupidly added to them during the year.

• Enter every contest and event
  • Get a story up in at least twelve categories (and, preferably, a red H in at least 12 categories)
  • Create 52 works in 52 weeks
  • Get 2000 followers
  • Publish something for pay
  • Collaborate with others
I only realized how really unrealistic all that was months later. By then, I'd started to feel the dopamine feed slowing, and I really started to regret setting those goals for myself. Then, some personal tragedies happened during the summer and early fall that made it so I had weeks where I didn't write anything at all; I think I put maybe 4K words down in all of August. Between all of that, I started to feel like the kid who gets caught with a cigarette by his dad and has to smoke a carton to break the habit. I got burnt out, badly, for a while.

But I still did it. I hit my goals.

Mostly, anyways. I missed two events that were added to the calendar after the year started and one that ended less than a week after I set my goal. I only hit 1990 followers as of today. But other than that? I hit all of them: 52 in 52, 16 categories, red Hs in 12 categories, published two stories for pay (I can buy a Starbucks with the proceeds!), and several collaborations.

I couldn't have done any of it, though, without the friends I've made here. They encouraged me, helped me, collaborated with me, and commiserated with me. They told me it was okay to miss the goals when IRL got rough, but they didn't discourage me from trying. @seraph_nocturne wrote a wonderful set of shared stories with me. @elizaloo narrated one of my stories. @MediocreAuthor caught my mistakes. @Djmac1031, @EmilyMiller, @oneagainst, @ThatNewGuy--along with many, many more that I hope I don't offend by omitting their names--beta read for me and chatted with me about writing and publishing and all sorts of other topics. Thank you to all of them, especially.

As to the next year? Hell, I don't know. I've taken a couple weeks off, and now I'm writing again. I'm looking at Medium, Amazon, going back to my visual novel (thank you, Stable Diffusion, for making the art process suck less), doing some editing... I have no idea. But I know, mixed in there, I'll still be writing and posting stories here. See y'all in the New section.
You've done great. Your productivity level is amazing. I wish I could keep up with that pace.

I've never heard the term "boomer shooter" before. Is that a thing? Does that refer to the person doing the shooting or the person being shot? I'm a boomer and went through a ten-year phase of playing a lot of first person shoot em ups, and that phrase conjures up an image of my sons rolling their eyes and saying, "Oh God, Dad's playing Half Life again."

Back