Men and Women a philosophical nature

John Roberts said:
Hi kym......((((((squeeze!)))))! ooooo....mistakes are a bad one with me, I hate making them and I am horrible to myself when I do make them. Even now with my attention deficit I will spill beverages, and my reaction is always self loathing......making comments to myself.....mutter...mutter...fuss ........fuss..
Certainly the need for improvement in that area is a priority because my son is terrified of mistakes.....I must live an example for him. laughing....when I do calm down I learn from mistakes. But I cannot figure out why I give myself such a hard time. The starting every day as a blank page works.....I should do it with moments..... :)

Eternal Hugs and kisses to you. :heart: :heart:

When I was teaching, that sounds like so long ago, I wouldn't let my students throw away their bad papers. I would tell them that sometimes knowing the wrong answer is just as important as knowing the right answer. It was always a difficult concept to teach. It's also difficult to learn.

We, humans that is, want to be right. I guess it's bred into our genes. We don't want to make mistakes. The caveman who was wrong didn't eat or didn't live long.

hugo_sam said:
Hey ~Kym~ and JR,
Thank you both for your kind words. I was just a little embarassed about rambling so, being so new to the thread.
You are right ~Kym~, life is a journey. Someone said once (and I am too lazy this morning to look it up) that doing things right is good but we learn from our mistakes. Making mistakes and growing to see them is part of the journey and making us who we are. If we do not make the mistakes, little learning goes on, or at least not as much as does when we make them.

Nice to see you both. :) :rose:

Hugo

Smiling....Hi Hugo my friend!
Of course, why did I not think of that, not enough mistakes, my IQ has suffered because of my flawless perfection.....Oops! better get a towel....um better make that two. I have read that most successful people have a line of failures behind them. :) Pondering.....I wonder where the next spill will be?

JR

Last edited:
done_got_old said:
When I was teaching, that sounds like so long ago, I wouldn't let my students throw away their bad papers. I would tell them that sometimes knowing the wrong answer is just as important as knowing the right answer. It was always a difficult concept to teach. It's also difficult to learn.

We, humans that is, want to be right. I guess it's bred into our genes. We don't want to make mistakes. The caveman who was wrong didn't eat or didn't live long.

Hi Done. We need more teachers like you apparently were ... what I see in my fellow students is a fear of being wrong. A fear of failing. Now, I'm afraid to fail, don't get me wrong here. But I realize that I learn better from my mistakes because I don't want to repeat them. It's also a wee bit relaxing to realize that I'm bound to be wrong at times, whereas my colleagues freak out trying to be flawless. (I like to think I freak out a tad less than they do. lol)

Anyway I realize I'm rambling here ... but being wrong once in a while is not such a bad thing for us humans.

done_got_old said:

Hello done_got_old! ((((Hugs))))
It is good to see you. :)

So I have a lot to learn from :D I do not gesture exhuberantly at cocktail parties in front of three tiered gustatory delights anymore.....um if I do I make sure there are no pretty nurses close by and I save my wild gesturing for my more sober moments.

JR

Gypsybyrd said:

Hi Done. We need more teachers like you apparently were ... what I see in my fellow students is a fear of being wrong. A fear of failing. Now, I'm afraid to fail, don't get me wrong here. But I realize that I learn better from my mistakes because I don't want to repeat them. It's also a wee bit relaxing to realize that I'm bound to be wrong at times, whereas my colleagues freak out trying to be flawless. (I like to think I freak out a tad less than they do. lol)

Anyway I realize I'm rambling here ... but being wrong once in a while is not such a bad thing for us humans.

Ramble? Grinning.....Ramble? I thought you did quite well. I would do well just to mellow out about mistakes.
Since I seem to be attacking everyone who strays here to the thread I would not want you to be left out..
((((Gypsybyrd!)))) :heart:

And (((((Hugo))))! :heart:

Last edited:
John Roberts said:
Ramble? Grinning.....Ramble? I thought you did quite well. I would do well just to mellow out about mistakes.
Since I seem to be attacking everyone who strays here to the thread I would not want you to be left out..
((((Gypsybyrd!)))) :heart:

And (((((Hugo))))! :heart:

Why thank you JR {{{John Roberts}}} I absolutely hate being left out heheh

Gypsybyrd said:

Why thank you JR {{{John Roberts}}} I absolutely hate being left out heheh

just watchout for my alter ego, she...er....he will take full advantage of any sitiation. :D Overtly affectionate full of love of the world and everyone..well maybe it is not an alt...grinning.

JR

John Roberts said:
just watchout for my alter ego, she...er....he will take full advantage of any sitiation. :D Overtly affectionate full of love of the world and everyone..well maybe it is not an alt...grinning.

JR

Lol. 'Love makes the world go 'round.'

Enjoy your night John Roberts. It's a calm one on my side of the state ... *wondering when the daily storms will start*

Gypsybyrd said:

Enjoy your night John Roberts. It's a calm one on my side of the state ... *wondering when the daily storms will start*

Tomorrow. Start building the ark now. 360 cubits by 80 cubits or some such measurements. :rolleyes:

rab302 said:
Tomorrow. Start building the ark now. 360 cubits by 80 cubits or some such measurements. :rolleyes:

Too lite for you Rab? However, your apocalyptic vision holds an element of hope. Flying tackle...... ((((rab302)))) :heart:

JR

Gypsybyrd said:

"All you need is love. wa wa wa wa wa....All you need is love. wa wa wa wa wa.. all you need is love...love....love is all you need."
Hi Gypsybyrd! :kiss:
I love the Gulf side, such nice beachs, it was calm over on my side too last night. That tropical wave moving in our direction will dump some moisture on us for sure the question is...when....forecast....need to look at a forecast.

Hello John Roberts and everyone. :rose:

Grocery list.

Patience
understanding
wisdom
Love
truthfulness
musical talent
creativity
sensitivity
humor
verbal ability
discretion hmmm...I guess that comes with wisdom
new body.....this one is a little run down, and a few modifications would be nice.
new brain....just transfer the memories...
an exciting life.....well a little anyhow.
Happiness for my child
A lover, Sigh!

Please just bag them up in plain brown paper bags and put the soft stuff on top. :)

Gi :rose:

Last edited:
John Roberts said:
"All you need is love. wa wa wa wa wa....All you need is love. wa wa wa wa wa.. all you need is love...love....love is all you need."
Hi Gypsybyrd! :kiss:
I love the Gulf side, such nice beachs, it was calm over on my side too last night. That tropical wave moving in our direction will dump some moisture on us for sure the question is...when....forecast....need to look at a forecast.

Since moving to the Gulf I've come to realize ... forecast = guess. lol

Have a wonderful lovely Saturday JR :kiss:

Gypsybyrd said:
Since moving to the Gulf I've come to realize ... forecast = guess. lol

Have a wonderful lovely Saturday JR :kiss:

You have a wonderful saturday as well Gypsybyrd :)

JR

Gi_Venus said:

Grocery list.

Patience
understanding
wisdom
Love
truthfulness
musical talent
creativity
sensitivity
humor
verbal ability
new body.....this one is a little run down, and a few modifications would be nice.
Happiness for my child
A lover, Sigh!

Please just bag them up in plain brown paper bags and put the soft stuff on top. :)

((((Gi))))! :heart: Welcome to the thread Gi :)

That is a nice list, .....now where do you shop? For I need a few of those items. Watch those baggers though.

JR

Last edited:
John Roberts said:
Too lite for you Rab? However, your apocalyptic vision holds an element of hope. Flying tackle...... ((((rab302)))) :heart:

JR

I'm originally from Louisiana. We have two forecasts, raining and going to rain. I just enjoy lots of rain and get prepared for it. :cool:

Gi_Venus said:

Grocery list.

Patience
understanding
wisdom
Love
truthfulness
musical talent
creativity
sensitivity
humor
verbal ability
Happiness for my child
A lover, Sigh!

Welcome Gi. (((Gi))). I think I bought some of your list from the scratch and dent section last time I went shopping. :D

rab302 said:
I'm originally from Louisiana. We have two forecasts, raining and going to rain. I just enjoy lots of rain and get prepared for it. :cool:

Ya'll get those hot sticky summers too. I like rain too. I love the way the air smells after a lot of rain or even just the steam coming off of the hot street.....
And the cold air from a down draft bathing me with a delightful contrast to the heat....I like it hitting my face. Laughing....I do not like being in it unless I have an umbrella or rain coat. My father used to take me sailing, and there was no shelter from the wet because I was of the crew.....furl the jib, ease the main sheet, hold her on course....and pray the lightening bolts miss us... I am a whimp when it comes to lightening. I was canoeing on the Suwanee River once with a friend when a thunderstorm moved in on us. I have never seen so much lightening, and close! We beached the canoe and huddled against the bank terrified like animals... all our gear got wet, no comfort camping that night......and there were noises in the night...big ones....I know what an armadillo sounds like and this was not that.....My friend got panicky as I waved our little .22 caliber pistol around, he had visions of holes in his tent. Later on I discovered the 22 was so inaccurate one could not hit the side of a barn with it......I have practiced.....I can shoot...I swear......on a following camping trip I tried to plink at a few cans.....20 feet away....miss.........10 feet away.....miss.........5 feet away....and it goes off target about 4 feet......after that trip I went out and got a Ruger stainless security six 357 revolver, now that pistol was accurate......as the lamp I shot can testify....oh...I know....sigh! I blew a hole in the wall too. The lamp I repaired but that dang exit hole could not be hidden and I had to explain to my parents.....Now you may ask yourself.....Why shoot the lamp? The gun was new and had a stiff action, I installed a kit to loosen the trigger action to make it easier to fire.....so it was late....I was dry fireing the pistol to loosen it up....the tv....click!....the lamp....click!.....the tv.....click!........A noise outside.....smiling I quickly dropped some loads in the chamber....no one would mess with me tonight. Somewhere I forgot I loaded that pistol........I picked it up to dry fire again and.......BOOOM!......Stunned I stared at the hole through the pineapple lamp....my ears were ringing and continued to ring for the next hour......my eyes followed the trajectory of the bullet.....a small hole on the inside of the wall.....you could see that the bullet had started tumbling after exiting the lamp. It went sidewise through the wall......I stepped outside and put on a show for the neighbors who were out investigating.....talking loudly to myself...."Oh man, I cannot believe I accidently shot that pistol!" It worked, they did not call the police.....but on the outside the exit hole of the bullet exploded in a splintery mess......I looked from there and at my mothers car.....oh please dear god not the car!....no hole....a near faint.....but where?.......looking around I found where the bullet had angled upwards and missed the car skidded along the roof of the car port and entered the wood there......worried about the neighbors I looked on the outside of the roof....no holes....Sigh! Relief! Somewhere to this day there is a bullet lodged up there. I learned a valuable lesson about guns without harming myself or anyone else. I always assumed the dang thing was loaded after that. Later on I would sell it to buy groceries in a particularly lean period. The pineapple lamp sits in my mothers office to this day, my superb repair job concealed it quite well. But the wall....shaking my head.. I do not own guns these days.

JR

Last edited:
John Roberts said:
Ya'll get those hot sticky summers too. I like rain too. I love the way the air smells after a lot of rain or even just the steam coming off of the hot street.....
And the cold air from a down draft bathing me with a delightful contrast to the heat....I like it hitting my face. Laughing....I do not like being in it unless I have an umbrella or rain coat. My father used to take me sailing, and there was no shelter from the wet because I was of the crew.....furl the jib, ease the main sheet, hold her on course....and pray the lightening bolts miss us... I am a whimp when it comes to lightening. I was canoeing on the Suwanee River once with a friend when a thunderstorm moved in on us. I have never seen so much lightening, and close! We beached the canoe and huddled against the bank terrified like animals... all our gear got wet, no comfort camping that night......and there were noises in the night...big ones....I know what an armadillo sounds like and this was not that.....My friend got panicky as I waved our little .22 caliber pistol around, he had visions of holes in his tent. Later on I discovered the 22 was so inaccurate one could not hit the side of a barn with it......I have practiced.....I can shoot...I swear......on a following camping trip I tried to plink at a few cans.....20 feet away....miss.........10 feet away.....miss.........5 feet away....and it goes off target about 4 feet......after that trip I went out and got a Ruger stainless security six 357 revolver, now that pistol was accurate......as the lamp I shot can testify....oh...I know....sigh! I blew a hole in the wall too. The lamp I repaired but that dang exit hole could not be hidden and I had to explain to my parents.....Now you may ask yourself.....Why shoot the lamp? The gun was new and had a stiff action, I installed a kit to loosen the trigger action to make it easier to fire.....so it was late....I was dry fireing the pistol....the tv....click!....the lamp....click!.....the tv.....click!........A noise outside.....smiling I quickly dropped some loads in the chamber....no one would mess with me tonight. Somewhere I forgot I loaded that pistol........I picked it up to dry fire again and.......BOOOM!......Stunned I stared at the hole through the pineapple lamp....my ears were ringing and continued to ring for the next hour......my eyes followed the trajectory of the bullet.....a small hole on the inside of the wall.....you could see that the bullet had started tumbling after exiting the lamp. It went sidewise through the wall......I stepped outside and put on a show for the neighbors who were out investigating.....talking loudly to myself...."Oh man, I cannot believe I accidently shot that pistol!" It worked, they did not call the police.....but on the outside the exit hole of the bullet exploded in a splintery mess......I looked from there and at my mothers car.....oh please dear god not the car!....no hole....a near faint.....but where?.......looking around I found where the bullet had angled upwards and missed the car skidded along the roof of the car port and entered the wood there......worried about the neighbors I looked on the outside of the roof....no holes....Sigh! Relief! Somewhere to this day there is a bullet lodged up there. I learned a valuable lesson about guns without harming myself or anyone else. I always assumed the dang thing was loaded after that. Later on I would sell it to buy groceries in a particularly lean period. The pineapple lamp sits in my mothers office to this day, my superb repair job concealed it quite well. But the wall....shaking my head.. I do not own guns these days.

JR

Guns aren't dangerous... the bullets are.

rab302 said:
Guns aren't dangerous... the bullets are.

The problem is they usually have bullets.....it is the person wielding it that makes it safe or unsafe, I am very safe these days....I don't have one. Later on a good friends son would commit suicide with a gun.....he took all the precautions and had the bullets in a safe but that did not stop that tragedy from happening......to make it worse.....it was my gun. I did not want the dang thing, it was a gift from my brother. My friend took it off my hands, I did not want it around because of my mental state was bad. We all live with that tragedy. None of us knew that the 19 year old was distraught, all of us would have reached out to him. Would have a gentle word made a difference? We will never know. But it does speak to one of making a difference, being a good listener or friend could make all the difference. Being gentle and compassionate can turn someone from such an act. When loneliness and despair consume and all looks bleak, a light however faint breaks through to reason. Love the loveless for without your anchor they may never find themselves. Sorry....it is one of those sermon days......this one has brought a lot of tears to me.

JR

John Roberts said:
The problem is they usually have bullets.....it is the person wielding it that makes it safe or unsafe, I am very safe these days....I don't have one. Later on a good friends son would commit suicide with a gun.....he took all the precautions and had the bullets in a safe but that did not stop that tragedy from happening......to make it worse.....it was my gun. I did not want the dang thing, it was a gift from my brother. My friend took it off my hands, I did not want it around because of my mental state was bad. We all live with that tragedy. None of us knew that the 19 year old was distraught, all of us would have reached out to him. Would have a gentle word made a difference? We will never know. But it does speak to one of making a difference, being a good listener or friend could make all the difference. Being gentle and compassionate can turn someone from such an act. When loneliness and despair consume and all looks bleak, a light however faint breaks through to reason. Love the loveless for without your anchor they may never find themselves. Sorry....it is one of those sermon days......this one has brought a lot of tears to me.

JR

Sorry, I just think the gun debate is pointless. Neither side will change position on the topic. I am firmly ambivalent on the topic. In the Army, I had no choice but become comfortable handling all types of weapons. I agree with all your points, I just am not motivated enough to attempt to convert gun owners to your position. Luckily, I have not had to experience the tragedy you have had to endure. You have my support, nonetheless.

rab302 said:
Sorry, I just think the gun debate is pointless. Neither side will change position on the topic. I am firmly ambivalent on the topic. In the Army, I had no choice but become comfortable handling all types of weapons. I agree with all your points, I just am not motivated enough to attempt to convert gun owners to your position. Luckily, I have not had to experience the tragedy you have had to endure. You have my support, nonetheless.

I still believe in the right to bear arms, I think people should be accountable for their actions and we have laws for that. I do not fault anyone who chooses to own them. I just do not want them around me. I bring this story up just to bring up the point of the possible consequence of owning guns. Many people do not think things through before making a decision to own one. laughing...it is the idiots out there that scare me not the educated.

JR

John Roberts said:
I still believe in the right to bear arms, I think people should be accountable for their actions and we have laws for that. I do not fault anyone who chooses to own them. I just do not want them around me. I bring this story up just to bring up the point of the possible consequence of owning guns. Many people do not think things through before making a decision to own one. laughing...it is the idiots out there that scare me not the educated.

JR

Lord save us from idiots and the zealots. I agree.

John Roberts said:
And the cold air from a down draft bathing me with a delightful contrast to the heat....I like it hitting my face. Laughing....I do not like being in it unless I have an umbrella or rain coat. My father used to take me sailing, and there was no shelter from the wet because I was of the crew.....furl the jib, ease the main sheet, hold her on course....and pray the lightening bolts miss us... I am a whimp when it comes to lightening. I was canoeing on the Suwanee River once with a friend when a thunderstorm moved in on us. I have never seen so much lightening, and close! We beached the canoe and huddled against the bank terrified like animals... all our gear got wet, no comfort camping that night......and there were noises in the night...big ones....I know what an armadillo sounds like and this was not that.....My friend got panicky as I waved our little .22 caliber pistol around, he had visions of holes in his tent. Later on I discovered the 22 was so inaccurate one could not hit the side of a barn with it......I have practiced.....I can shoot...I swear......on a following camping trip I tried to plink at a few cans.....20 feet away....miss.........10 feet away.....miss.........5 feet away....and it goes off target about 4 feet......after that trip I went out and got a Ruger stainless security six 357 revolver, now that pistol was accurate......as the lamp I shot can testify....oh...I know....sigh! I blew a hole in the wall too. The lamp I repaired but that dang exit hole could not be hidden and I had to explain to my parents.....Now you may ask yourself.....Why shoot the lamp? The gun was new and had a stiff action, I installed a kit to loosen the trigger action to make it easier to fire.....so it was late....I was dry fireing the pistol to loosen it up....the tv....click!....the lamp....click!.....the tv.....click!........A noise outside.....smiling I quickly dropped some loads in the chamber....no one would mess with me tonight. Somewhere I forgot I loaded that pistol........I picked it up to dry fire again and.......BOOOM!......Stunned I stared at the hole through the pineapple lamp....my ears were ringing and continued to ring for the next hour......my eyes followed the trajectory of the bullet.....a small hole on the inside of the wall.....you could see that the bullet had started tumbling after exiting the lamp. It went sidewise through the wall......I stepped outside and put on a show for the neighbors who were out investigating.....talking loudly to myself...."Oh man, I cannot believe I accidently shot that pistol!" It worked, they did not call the police.....but on the outside the exit hole of the bullet exploded in a splintery mess......I looked from there and at my mothers car.....oh please dear god not the car!....no hole....a near faint.....but where?.......looking around I found where the bullet had angled upwards and missed the car skidded along the roof of the car port and entered the wood there......worried about the neighbors I looked on the outside of the roof....no holes....Sigh! Relief! Somewhere to this day there is a bullet lodged up there. I learned a valuable lesson about guns without harming myself or anyone else. I always assumed the dang thing was loaded after that. Later on I would sell it to buy groceries in a particularly lean period. The pineapple lamp sits in my mothers office to this day, my superb repair job concealed it quite well. But the wall....shaking my head.. I do not own guns these days.

JR

A wonderful lesson JR...

John Roberts said:

JR

{{{{{{JR}}}}}}

Back