Karaoke Story Event - Official Support Thread

Altissimus

Irreverently Piquant
*** UPDATE ***

Had a couple of folk ask me if they could submit after the 5th and still be included.

I reached out to Laurel. Official answer is that any appropriately-tagged story will be included, but if not submitted "within 48 hours" of the go-live then it might turn up a day or two late.

Good to know... my second submission still needs a lot of work :)

I'm posting this thread to officially kick off the "Karaoke" Story Event. Laurel will be creating the Event Page shortly - and submissions can be sent in between September 25th and October 8th, with a Tuesday October 10th Go Live Date. That's over 80 days - plenty of time!

This thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter stories in the 2023 "Karaoke" Story Event. If you have questions, post them here and someone will answer. It might be me, it might be someone else here but don't be shy. Ask.

If you're a first time writer, or this is the first time you're putting a story in to an "Event" on Literotica, hey, don't get stressed about it. You don't have to have written anything before to write for this event. This isn’t a “by invitation only” event. This is not a competition. There's no scores, no prizes.

Just writing for fun with a bunch of other writers doing the same thing. If you're not sure about what to do, how to submit your story, anything at all in fact, just ask here. We've all been there and we're a bunch of very helpful people and we like to pass it on.

So, without further ado, are you interested in writing a story for the “Karaoke” Literotica Story Event? Get started! First time writers and veteran Literoticans alike are all invited and encouraged to participate. Post the name of your story here so we can all see it and I'll keep a running list going in this thread.

The Rules are actually really simple

Pick a song and write a story that uses the title of that song, and, inasmuch as is possible, reflects the content of that song.

Min 750 words, normal Lit general rules.

Illustrative examples:
  • First Time - Crush (Jennifer Paige) - Professor has hots for a student.
  • Gay Male - Born This Way (Lady Gaga) - Man fights for his right to be who he wants to be
  • Fetish - These Boots are Made for Walking (Nancy Sinatra) - Femdom foot fun.
  • Loving Wives - Bitch (Meredith Brooks) - wife is a goddess on her knees, likes to prove it to anyone with an interest
  • NonConsent/Reluctance - Every Breath You Take (Police) - Stalker gets a bit creepy with the girl of his dreams
  • Reviews and Essays - Cannon in D (Pachelbel) - Why Pachelbel's Cannon sucks for cellos
  • Incest/Taboo - We are family (I've got all my sisters with me) (Sister Sledge) - this... doesn't need an explanation.
...etc.

1. The story title has to be “[Your Chosen Song Here]” (so, using above examples, "Crush" or "Every Breath You Take" etc)
2. The spirit of the event is to then craft your story around the words, meaning or message of the song - but the degree to which you do this is up to you.
4. Any subject, any category, any length you like.
5. Author must copy and paste the phrase "Karaoke Story Event" in the "Notes" field of the submission. We recommend that you COPY & PASTE it into the NOTES field to avoid typos.
6. Please use “Karaoke” as a story tag.
7. All entries to be submitted by 11:59pm, Thursday October 8th - with a Go Live Date of Tuesday October 10th. You can submit any time between September 25th and October 8th. All stories will be posted on Tuesday October 10th

That’s it.

So what are you waiting for?! Get started!

Happy writing/singing,

Altissimus

Last edited:
If you would like to share with me your intent to enter, drop your chosen song title in the thread below or send me a PM and I'll add it here.

@seraph_nocturne - Closer - Nine Inch Nails
@seraph_nocturne - Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
@djrip - New Rules - Dua Lipa
@Fatdog25 - Devil Woman - Cliff Richard
@Jackie.O.Hikaru - Yellow - Coldplay
@SimonDoom - Don't Stand So Close To Me - Police
@Altissimus - I'd do anything for love (but I won't do that) - Meatloaf
@Altissimus - Who Knew - Pink
@Rob_Royale - Let's Pretend We're Married - Prince and the Revolution.
@Constories - Set Fire to the Rain - Adele
@Daddysgirlfl - He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones
@MediocreAuthor - Cupid - Fifty Fifty
@Erozetta - Cranky Moon - Sam Shelton
@Erozetta - How Villains are Made - Madalen Duke.
@Erozetta - I'll Stand by You - Pretenders
@Erozetta - She Don't Want The World - 3 Doors Down
@Erozetta - Tainted Love - Holy Wars
@Erozetta - You Put a Spell on Me - Austin Giorgio
@YDB95 - Remember When We Were Just Friends - Annie Bauerlein
@YDB95 - Breakfast in Bed - Dusty Springfield
@THoney269 - TBC
@Trionyx - You’re Gonna Love Yourself in the Morning - Kris Kristofferson
@NoTalentHack - Sweet Unknown - The Hope Blister
@Devinter - Hollow Talk - Choir of Young Believers
@BarracudaSwordfish - Some Guys Have All the Luck - The Persuaders
@EmilyMiller - Your Love's Whore - Wolf Alice
@EroticCupcake - Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
@Anton25 - Ticket to Ride - The Beatles
@JaxonHill - Islands in the Stream - Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers
@Kabba118 - Crash Into Me - Dave Matthews Band
@lc69hunter - Save the Last Dance for Me - The Drifters
@Norway_1705 - Here Comes the Bride - Wagner
@Norway_1705 - Jingle Bells - James Pierpont
@Norway_1705 - It's Raining Men - The Weather Girls
@Norway_1705 - Country Boy (Thank God, I'm a) - John Denver
@Norway_1705 - Trust in Me (The Python's Song) - Sterling Holloway/ Scarlett Johansson
@Norway_1705 - Holding out for a Hero - Bonnie Tyler/ Jennifer Saunders.

Last edited:
I’m thumbing through a few other songs for inspiration that I’d like to work with on this, I think I might just use this contest as practice for writing something under 10K words that still have solid quality to them. 😁

In any case, fantastic Event idea, I’m looking forward to it!

For so long I've been thinking of doing one around "New Rules" by Dua Lipa. What can I say, the video is inspiring. I guess now is the time.

what song should we use for a romance story?
Part of the challenge is finding a song that appeals to you - either because you like the song or because of the message of the song.

It also depends on your premise.

So, for a romance, one might consider:
Love Fool (Cardigans) - if you're after unrequited love that makes good at the end
Kiss me (sixpence none the richer) - if you just want to get to the love
Blank Space (Taylor Swift) - if it's romance but the ending isn't happy

...etc

Romance could arguably suit almost any song - most songs are about love to some degree. For that reason it's probably the easiest category if you just want 'any old thing' and the hardest category if you want a song that matches exactly your premise.

Recommend you pull up a few on lyric finder and see which give you ideas.

Hope that helps,
A

Ok, I'm going to put my hat into the ring...

"I Will Follow You Into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cuties.

Ok, not that song. I was just brainstorming a bunch of possible stories, and they are all really, really sad lol.
So I'll do "Yellow" by Coldplay instead :)

Ok, I'm going to put my hat into the ring...

"I Will Follow You Into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cuties.

Ok, not that song. I was just brainstorming a bunch of possible stories, and they are all really, really sad lol.
So I'll do "Yellow" by Coldplay instead :)
When I've added it to the list it's written in stone. Totally editable, deletable, malleable stone.

I've got one. Don't Stand So Close To Me.

I was surprised to discover there are no Lit stories with that title.
Is this a suggestion or a self-nomination, @SimonDoom?

Also, stories can share the same title as other stories, they're just given hidden number suffixes - I have one called "Playing House", and on its URL it shows as 'Playing-House-3'. So no reason why we couldn't all write different stories for the same song... that's another challenge though.

Is this a suggestion or a self-nomination, @SimonDoom?

Also, stories can share the same title as other stories, they're just given hidden number suffixes - I have one called "Playing House", and on its URL it shows as 'Playing-House-3'. So no reason why we couldn't all write different stories for the same song... that's another challenge though.
Sorry to be ambiguous! Yes, I'm throwing my hat in the ring with that title.

I want to participate in this event. It's just a matter of which song...

Quite.
I'm currently debating between "Animal" by Bloodflower, "Touched" or "Flames" by VAST and a blend of "Devil, Devil" by Milck and "If I Told You Once" by circus Contraption.
Yes, this is my problem too. Having had a wee bit longer to think about it hasn't helped the situation - got about four ideas at the moment and might end up with multiple entries at this rate.

ETA: added us both to the list anyway ;)

I'll probably write all four. But the one that's most appealing to me right now is Devil, Devil and If I Told You Once. It would basically be different sides of one story.

And I'm just realizing the first three songs sum up a story I've already been writing...
Publish date is still miles away. Let me know if you want me to update at some point - no rush.

Reviews and Essays - Cannon in D (Pachelbel) - Why Pachelbel's Cannon sucks for cellos
Funny, my main character in my heart/beats story introduced Pachelbel's Canon in D to the reader as an example of universal beauty. But then again, neither she nor I ever played a cello...

I am intrigued by another musical writing challenge, but i require many many months to procrastinate before smashing a story out and stressing about the deadline! But I may consider that challenge anyway!

:eek: What did you call the Spiral Starecase, Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, Mötley Crüe, The Byrds, The Black Crowes, Stryper, Megadeth, The Monkees (my personal favorite misspelled band), Gorillaz, Lynyrd Skynyrd, or Limp Bizkit? And just why didn't they call themselves Stiff Bizkit?
Don't be. But i get it, I once called The Beatles 'The Beetles' in a story...twice!

And let us not forget the other spelling-challenged bands. KoRn, Linkin Park, Rammstein, Split Enz, The Kovenant. Bon Jovi (a take on Jon's last name Bongiovi), The Cyrkle, Jackyl, Nu Shooz, The Insyderz, Kutless, Phish, Blessid Union of Souls, Chvrches, Trapt, Kool and the Gang, The Weeknd, Ludacris, Paramore, and Waskely Wrabit, no wait it's just Wrabit.

Creative misspellings have advantages in the marketing world. They are easier to copyright, for one thing. And it's much easier to get good search results in a search engine.

Anyway, I'm not throwing my hat in the ring just yet, but I always thought "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne would make a great erotic MILF story.

Back