I have a question for you authors..

Anton25

Really Really Experienced
I am writing a story for a Karaoke event, and it is about a song. Is it ok to post a YouTube link to the song?

I am writing a story for a Karaoke event, and it is about a song. Is it ok to post a YouTube link to the song?
I kinda suggested that they might make an exception for this event. But there are multiple reasons why not:

1. The general policy is no off-site links in stories - if they make an exception for this, there will be other requests
  2. You would end up with dead links as YT is pretty volatile
  3. There are probably copyright and content concerns
  4. Most pertinent in my mind - you maybe force the song down the reader’s throat, rather than letting your story paint a picture
Em

You can put a link to your bio page in the story and then on your Bio page, put the URL for the YouTube video.

Click on my Profile button below and scroll to the bottom to see how it's done.

I’ll make you a deal. Mention the song title and artist in your story. Weave a few lyrics in there too, if you can. Do a good story without the reader necessarily needing to know the song. Pull it off, I’ll give you a high reading should I read your story. Then maybe I’ll look up the song too. I got Google, don’t necessarily need a direct link.

I kinda suggested that they might make an exception for this event. But there are multiple reasons why not:

1. The general policy is no off-site links in stories - if they make an exception for this, there will be other requests
  4. Most pertinent in my mind - you maybe force the song down the reader’s throat, rather than letting your story paint a picture
Em
Thanks!Interesting thought...number 4. ..." my baby don't care"

Last edited:
I’ll make you a deal. Mention the song title and artist in your story. Weave a few lyrics in there too, if you can. Do a good story without the reader necessarily needing to know the song. Pull it off, I’ll give you a high reading should I read your story. Then maybe I’ll look up the song too. I got Google, don’t necessarily need a direct link.
OK deal...maybe!

You can put a link to your bio page in the story and then on your Bio page, put the URL for the YouTube video.

Click on my Profile button below and scroll to the bottom to see how it's done.
Mmm.thanks...that is a way of getting round it.." she better think twice.."

Last edited:
I think I am going to be sad..

Em
#3 wouldn't apply to this. Linking to the song wouldn't invoke copyright issues.

In this case, giving the song title and a few words of the lyrics would be enough. Readers could google it themselves.

#3 wouldn't apply to this. Linking to the song wouldn't invoke copyright issues.

In this case, giving the song title and a few words of the lyrics would be enough. Readers could google it themselves.
Yes, I agree.

Em

It should be okay if you link to the song from the Story Feedback and New Story Advertisement boards. And I've seen numerous links to songs and movies from other boards. The Playground sub-forum in the Personals section has probably hundreds, thousands of such links. That brings up the question of how they got on YouTube in the first place, which I won't get into that here.

Within the story, you should be able to quote maybe four lines from a song and mention the title. I used to do more than that, but I never got called out on it.

With the rise of the Internet, copyright infringement has gotten extremely difficult to enforce so things got fuzzy. We've seen that with stories being lifted from Lit and republished elsewhere, with or without the original author's name. The Disney Corporation has the legal resources to deal with that kind of thing (sometimes!) but we don't. The policies of Lit and other sites varies. Some sites ban any kind of fan-fiction just to make the rules clear. But yeah, Lit (or Laurel) will likely reject you if you link outside the site from within a story.

Em

Some YT videos get taken down for copyright infringement if it contains copyrighted material that the user who posted it doesn’t own. If that happens you’ll have a dead link.

A friend once posted a video of me doing a cover song and the copyright owner (presumably) attached an add to it. 👍

Last edited:
Some YT videos get taken down for copyright infringement if it contains copyrighted material that posted doesn’t own. If that happens you’ll have a dead link.

A friend once posted a video of me doing a cover song and the copyright owner (presumably) attached an add to it. 👍
I know, we've discussed YouTube before, and how they deal with such issues. I'vs seen videos disappear a couple of times and then come back again. Some movies can only be seen by renting or buying them. Or they can be watched with ads. Right now I can watch The Bunker (1981) or The Third Man (1949) for free, but who knows if they will still be there in six months.

Some YT videos get taken down for copyright infringement if it contains copyrighted material that the user who posted it doesn’t own. If that happens you’ll have a dead link.

That isn't a link to it, which is what is being discussed here. That isn't reposting the material itself.

That isn't a link to it, which is what is being discussed here. That isn't reposting the material itself.

I’m not sure what you mean. 🤔

* The OP was asking about posting a YouTube link.

* Ms Em mentioned “copyright and concerns” as her 3rd point.

* You said “#3 wouldn't apply to this. Linking to the song wouldn't invoke copyright issues.”

My last post was saying that a linked post could be removed by YT because of copyright issues, thus leaving the OP with a dead link no matter where they posted it.

What?

I mean, as I posted, that linking to something (as opposed to reposting it) is not a copyright issue. Copyright only comes into reposting of the actual material, not linking to it.

Em
All valid reasons. The primary reason, I believe (from discussion in the past), is to prevent people linking to content off-site which might be innocuous at first, but the content owner subsequently changes that content, and all of a sudden Lit finds itself a conduit to foul and despicable content.

Why that same principle doesn't apply to Forum linked content, I don't know, but that's what I picked up at one point.

Back