Heroism - the Oggbashan Memorial Event 2023 Support Thread

My story was uploaded two weeks ago, and in this thread's reminder of it going live tomorrow suddenly made me rethink character names that were a little too close to the vest if somebody in my local community read the story. Hope I didn't cross-up Laurel too badly; I apologized in my note to admin.

By all indications it edited just fine. It should go to the rear of the queue, and it is marked "Pending". We'll see.

My story, Cast a Long Shadow, has been rescheduled for release tomorrow. After several months of being tied up with work plus special family events, finally completing a new story is such a good feeling! Now comes the grim reality of nail biting on whether it will be liked by readers.

Bugger. In the rush to post, I forgot the link to the previous story.

Ah well, too late now.

By all indications it edited just fine. It should go to the rear of the queue, and it is marked "Pending". We'll see.

It's up as "new" and ready to roll for tomorrow. Thanks, Laurel!

Yeah, I'm on the road for work atm and pulling it out for a minor edit would create more work than it needs.

It's not a big deal. I've covered what happened in the previous story, and I'll add a comment.

So.... I was expecting a note on the front page that this was going ahead, or an 'Ogg' tag added to all the stories that allowed you to find them. Is this going to be happening? It would be great to have a list of stories that have been submitted for this.

I guess I'll go run a search :)

ETA - search didn't find anything, including my own story (which is live). Maybe I'll leave it a few hours.

Everything We've Been Told Are Lies published and getting reads, though, yeah, probably from the category's New Stories list.

TP, thanks for pulling this together so quick! I have procured as close as its possible in this foreign land a British dark ale in memoriam. Because it's definitely past 5pm where I am.

My caffeine-deficient count this morning is 19 stories, which is remarkable considering the short notice. I'm sure Ogg would have been pleased. Thanks to all and I see I have some reading to do. See you next year for this.

tp
Where's the list please?

My thanks to TarnishedPenny for organizing this event. I think the theme was a great way to honor someone who was so admired. It was the kick in the pants I needed to publish my very first story here. My condolences to those who knew Oggbashan.
100%. It was a challenging theme too, and one I really struggled with, but I could think of no better cause, and what a great way to remember Ogg.

100%. It was a challenging theme too, and one I really struggled with, but I could think of no better cause, and what a great way to remember Ogg.
The great thing about this was it gave many of us a chance to think about our heroes and why they are just that.

Like the Master himself, a wide range of offerings: 19 works in 10 categories.

Multiple interpretations of Heroism: large and dramatic, small and subtle. Military played a role in several, virginities were lost, unsurprisingly a number were non-erotic musings. A variety of cultures, worlds, and persons, at least one first-time writer. All thoughtful, some very sweet tales here.

Only glaring omission is the Humor category, but there is always next year.

Thank you Ogg, TP and all the writers, you make us better.

I wanted to enter this, but work has eaten up all of my time the past two weeks. Had a 750 word thing written and ready just kept second guessing myself and never submitted it.
Not to worry. It was a very short fuse indeed. As mentioned, Laurel wants this to be an annual event. There will be proper warning next year.

To me, the one thing Ogg was famous for was his fifty word stories, grouped in fifteens to make the required 750 words.

Congrats to everyone who got a story in. I had too much on my plate but there is always next year.

Back