Heroism - the Oggbashan Memorial Event 2023 Support Thread

My condolences to those who really knew the writer and the person. Clearly there is solace to be found in the sincere declarations of fondness, admiration, and respect I am reading in this thread and elsewhere.
And condolences to all the rest of us denizens of Literotica, who have clearly benefited from Ogg's contributions of both stories and thoughts.

On the Memorial Event's theme of Heroism, my recent Nude Day Contest entries coincidentally pivot heavily on that point. Unfortunately, I am reading this thread on July 7, the last day of the contest. If I'd read it back on June 22 when it came out, I might have added Happy Homecomings and Hero's Homecoming to the Memorial Event as well.
I don't suppose our outstandingingly talented and fetching site administrators would be willing to still do that linkage? ;-)

I do have one recent entry in my Story Idea list that might well be able to be spun into a flash story in line with the Ogg Event's theme. First, I've pulled up a (mostly*) random list of stories, poems and essays from Ogg, https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=129447&page=submissions , and will read through them to seek D&G (direction and guidance as we'd say in the military world) from Ogg's words before putting my own to paper.
(* mostly random, because after reading SimonDoom's entry from early in this thread, I had to add https://www.literotica.com/s/whorehouse-chapel to my reading list, since from the description it bears much in common with my Wilder West series from 2008. https://www.literotica.com/s/wilder-west-ch-01 )

Tarnished Penny, Laurel and Manu, thanks for taking on the logistical burden of recognizing a significant contributor and apparently superior human being. One thing I'd like to see, if it can be done with the help of automation or volunteer curating, is a collection of some of the Forum posts that Ogg made over the years. I read a lot of people's comments on how well he added to civilized debate. It would be interesting to read some of the exchanges that led to his reputation for following a custom that elsewhere seems to have disappeared from public discourse.

Again, my condolences, and a toast of the old grog to Ogg.

Normally I'd hop right on to anything honoring Ogg's life (and fight for life) and presence on Lit., but I'm not in the position to create new stories right now and I don't have access to much of my not-yet-published story backlog to find something that will suit. I'll check what I have. If I don't contribute anything it won't be because I didn't want to participate.

Later: Found one. Submitted. GM, "Edge of Despair"

Last edited:
My understanding was that all of these stories were to be posted on 14 July. Mine is marked for posting tomorrow, 9 July.

Mine is locked in for the 14th and has been for a couple of weeks. Maybe edit and re submit with a note just to draw attention to it?

Mine is locked in for the 14th and has been for a couple of weeks. Maybe edit and re submit with a note just to draw attention to it?
Laurel caught it and changed my post date to the 14th.

If you used the tag and it has New with the 14th as the post date, it'll automatically go live when the new stories are posted on the 14th.

You don't need to do anything. Event submissions are setup like this so you don't need to time your submission and can submit early, as you did.

When I heard about this memorial, I realized that a story I'd already started a while back might be a good fit and in line with some of his historical tales. It's going to be tight but I hope to publish by the deadline in Ogg's memory.

That's great that we have that many so far. Mine is complete at just over 12K words but it needs at least one more read before I submit. If all goes well, that will be tomorrow.

Edit: Submitted, 7/12/23. Whew!!!

Last edited:
Mine is still in pending. Some folks have mentioned being able to see when their stories will be published...where do you see this? Obviously, I would love this story to be part of the memorial event. Sorry, still new-ish here...

Mine is still in pending. Some folks have mentioned being able to see when their stories will be published...where do you see this? Obviously, I would love this story to be part of the memorial event. Sorry, still new-ish here...
When its approved but not yet published, it will remain in the pending section of your works, but it will have a future date and the yellow 'New' tag by the name. If you added in the admin notes for your story that its for the Oggbashan Memorial Event 2023, I'm sure it will be published when the event goes live.

When its approved but not yet published, it will remain in the pending section of your works, but it will have a future date and the yellow 'New' tag by the name. If you added in the admin notes for your story that its for the Oggbashan Memorial Event 2023, I'm sure it will be published when the event goes live.
Thanks, Jackie, much appreciated.

Mine should be ready by the close of play today.

Nothing sexy and it’ll be in non-erotic as a little something.

Currently I’m chugging at around 400 words so halfway done.

Just submitted. Going to be a few last-minute entries, I think. Hope it's in time.

My first non-erotic story on Lit.
Seems to be some trend towards 750-word contributions in this thread, but mine is ~14k words. Hope that's ok.

Seems to be some trend towards 750-word contributions in this thread, but mine is ~14k words. Hope that's ok.
Altissimus, any length at or over 750 words (the Lit minimum) is acceptable. Mine's about 12.5K words, but many of the short tales are probably due to the tight timeframe on getting it submitted.

I submitted yesterday, had it approved a short time later for tomorrow, and then found a couple of stupid mistakes that needed correcting. I revised and resubmitted with an apology to Laurel for the blunder and any extra work it caused her. It's still pending as of now.

This has certainly been the most unusual challenge offered here on Literotica that I have responded to; thanks for undertaking this TP. Tight deadline, focused theme. Bittersweet.

Many of you here have been around longer and had a more extensive correspondence with Mr. Ogg than I, but he had an outsize presence here. He was often quick to acknowledge a comment I would make on one of his efforts, and in the AH we shared musings on overlapping interests: what 6 shillings would buy you in 16th century London, whether 10£ a year was a living wage in 1650, SU carburetors on vintage British sports cars, Lucas ('Prince of Darkness') electrics.

For the challenge I thought I'd pick a category he didn't write in, just for kicks, but no luck, he wrote all over the map, so I settled for a rarely used one (only four of his tales.)

(His output was astounding. In his main account [he had at least one other] are almost 500 tales, plus poetry, scattered across 24 categories, Romance and Sci-Fi being particular favorites.)

In his passing, with the subsequent challenge, he pulled a small story of heroism from ordinary people out of me that likely wouldn't have resulted otherwise.

My only wish, common for me when reading the Obits these days, is that he isn't around to witness the effects he had upon the rest of us still living. I'd like to think he would appreciate our tales, that they'd bring a smile to his lips. A remarkable human.

Back