What I Wrote and Why: the support thread

I wonder if I'm misunderstanding the purpose of WIWAW. I originally interpreted it as a technical discussion: taking various goals as given, talk about the literary maneuvers you attempted and what you hoped they would accomplish. Based on the forum posts I'm seeing, it sounds like the goal is more to talk about what motivated you to write a story?
That was what I originally did. But others want to highlight other aspects of their writing, or present the background in different ways. Laurel included several of us in the discussion about the challenge, so clearly she sees the benefit of each. (I suggested getting your input, as an early adopter, but since the conversation was essentially "I think this should be a challenge, who's going to organise it?" we moved it to this thread instead.)

At this time, I don't think there's a wrong way of doing it. Maybe after the challenge we'll have a better idea of what writers want to talk about and what readers want to know.

Okay. I think I have a story worth chatting about. I'll participate.

EDIT - Wait. Is this to be a submitted story or a forum post?

Hm, this might be something I might participate in since I already planned to post an open letter about everything I wrote. Though I might need to check the rules to see if my idea fits.

I was part of the discussion about creating this event, and I don't think it ought to exclude writing about a new story, but that was not the intent in setting up the event.

The motive behind the What I Wrote thread, and of making an event of them, is to try to increase serious discussion of the art and craft of writing. It seems to me that if the reason you wrote the story is because you wanted to be part of the event, that is not really in the spirit of thing.
Why are you being snarky? It was a legit question because I wanted to be clear on what is supposed to be published for the event. If its a what/why on an existing story, that's all I need to know.

Why are you being snarky? It was a legit question because I wanted to be clear on what is supposed to be published for the event. If its a what/why on an existing story, that's all I need to know.

I had no intention of being snarky and I am not sure how you got the impression that I was. I'll take responsibility for a communication failure and restate my thoughts.

To date, all the WIWAW thread have been about pre-existing stories. I think that if someone wants to write a new story and explain why they have written it, that should be acceptable as part of the event, but it was not the original intention.

In my opinion, and I am not an organizer of the event, just someone who was asked about it because I had started one of the threads, writing a story specifically for the event is something different than the original concept.

The answer to your question, as StillStunned has explained it, is that there is no prohibition against new stories. But most of those who have expressed interest so far appear to be planning on discussing existing stories.

A technical question: we publish the story in the challenge, and the write a WIWAW post here? Or we publish the story, with a WIWAW section at the end of the story?

A technical question: we publish the story in the challenge, and the write a WIWAW post here? Or we publish the story, with a WIWAW section at the end of the story?
The consensus seems to be to write a WIWAW and post it as a story (Reviews & Essays seems the obvious choice) during the challenge. You don't need to write a story specifically for the challenge - this is about your thoughts on something that you've already written.

The idea, as put forward by Laurel, is for readers and other authors besides the AH denizens to engage more with the writerly side of the process.

I think I'll give this a shot, if only to see how many of my regular readers would check it out.

My guess-cynical as always-is not many. They want new stories, not reflections on old ones. But it's not like it would take a lot of time.

That and I have a story that over the years has gotten many "what were you thinking" feedback and messages, so I guess I can tell them that it was an exercise in knowing what the readers want and giving them a story that was a middle finger to all of it (and my own how to in taboo), and somehow making it work.

Count me in! Most of it will be a re-telling of Lit Happens. but Duleigh's Demandment #8 clearly says Thou shalt throw nothing away, ideas are forever useful but oft times forgotten. My legal team of Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe says that Demandment #8 gives me the right to plagiarize my own work.

That's right people, your eyes aren't fooling you. This summer you too can tell the tale of your story, your very own What I Wrote and Why!

Follow in the footsteps of such illustrious names as @joy_of_cooking, @AchtungNight, @MelissaBaby and yours truly. Share your reasons for writing, tell us why you chose a specific topic, style or imagery, explain what it means to you personally. Stun your readers as you reveal the hidden messages locked inside your words. Bask in the adulation of your peers as they recognise the talent that's hiding in plain sight. Astonish yourself as you analyse your story and realise that you're more profound than you ever knew.

In short, let us in on your process.

By making this a challenge, we'll hopefully generate more interest from non-regulars in the AH, and get bums on seats from the readers.

When: this summer, from 16 July to 31 August. That's right, we're giving you homework for during the hols.
Stories will be posted as they're published, to generate interest from readers and writers alike.
The event is open to everyone, so feel free to join in. The more the merrier. Together, we have vast store of skill and experience. Let's bring it out into the open and share it.
Is this an official challenge? If so, what do we enter into Notes to Admin?

The consensus seems to be to write a WIWAW and post it as a story (Reviews & Essays seems the obvious choice) during the challenge. You don't need to write a story specifically for the challenge - this is about your thoughts on something that you've already written.

The idea, as put forward by Laurel, is for readers and other authors besides the AH denizens to engage more with the writerly side of the process.
OK. So the WIW&W in essays, and the story simultaneously (if you haven't posted it already).
Do we/ can we put a link to the story in the essay?

I have a story I wrote years ago that I want to post, but have never been sure about, that I think might make an interesting discussion.

OK. So the WIW&W in essays, and the story simultaneously (if you haven't posted it already).
Do we/ can we put a link to the story in the essay?
I'll drop Laurel a line and see about getting confirmation to some of these questions. It's an unusual situation for everyone, I think - these WIWAWs aren't like our usual stories, and we'll have to see what works and what doesn't.
I have a story I wrote years ago that I want to post, but have never been sure about, that I think might make an interesting discussion.
Sounds good! Just remember, you don't have to wait until the actual event. Plenty of people are already writing WIWAWs. The challenge will just raise the profile among readers and non-AH authors.

I don't quite understand this challenge and what we're supposed to do or what its purpose is. I like the idea of encouraging authors to write about what they've written and why, but I don't understand making it a challenge or why it would be appealing to publish the essays as separate works rather than as entries in a thread, or in the form of a thread. As far as attracting people outside the scope of this forum, how is it going to do that? Where is the publicity to anyone outside of the forum? The only place I see it mentioned is in this forum. I suggest clarifying the guidelines and then modifying the initial entry in this thread. I'm not sure I'd be inclined to post an explanation as a separate story, because I don't think anybody would read it, but I DO like the idea of starting a thread on one of my stories.

I don't get it either. Are we supposed to write a story about writing a story then write an essay that tells how we wrote the story about writing a story?

Sorry if I'm being dense, but I want to understand what an entry in the challenge actually entails. What I gather from the discussion is this:

1. Write a new story to be published during the challenge period
-OR- select a previously published story.
2. Write about the process of writing it.
3. Publish the essay about the process as a story in the Essays category during the challenge period. Include a link to the story in the essay. Add admin note TBD.
4. Link to the essay here
-OR- the link will be added to the official challenge page (TBD?)
5. Bask in the glory (optional).

I like the idea, and the long lead time means I might actually get something done for it.

For me, What I Wrote and Why would be more like a confession, Why I Regret the Plot Points I Wrote. There is one story I enjoyed the idea, but added gratuitous sex that without, could have made for a more emotional context.

I don't quite understand this challenge and what we're supposed to do or what its purpose is. I like the idea of encouraging authors to write about what they've written and why, but I don't understand making it a challenge or why it would be appealing to publish the essays as separate works rather than as entries in a thread, or in the form of a thread. As far as attracting people outside the scope of this forum, how is it going to do that? Where is the publicity to anyone outside of the forum? The only place I see it mentioned is in this forum. I suggest clarifying the guidelines and then modifying the initial entry in this thread. I'm not sure I'd be inclined to post an explanation as a separate story, because I don't think anybody would read it, but I DO like the idea of starting a thread on one of my stories.
Last July I posted a piece in How-To discussing how I edited a story for @AwkwardApple415. It's not quite the same thing as WIWAW, and maybe it would've been received differently in Reviews and Essays, but it's close enough that maybe it can shed some light on how much interest readers have in reading about the process of creating a story.

First thing to say is that, yes, readership has been very low. Seven months after posting, it has 2.2k views, which is a fair bit lower than anything else in the same category - looking at other pieces from around the same date, most have around 4k-30k views.

It's not just that one piece. There are a couple of other writing how-tos in there, and while they've earned more reads than mine, they're still not doing spectacularly. @silkstockingslover has a piece there on "Tips to Write Erotica & Get Readers", posted in mid-2022. That one has everything going for it: the topic is more general interest than mine, SSL is a prolific and high-profile poster on this site with a gazillion followers, that particular piece has a 4.83 rating, and it even has the rare triple "H", "E" and "W". With all that, it still only has 16k views. Better than mine, but compared to the 100k-150k views SSL could've expected on one of her Incest/Taboo stories posted around the same time, it's very low.

There seems to be more interest in topics like "how to give great blowjobs" or "how I seduce men on airplanes". I suspect even in How-To, a large chunk of the readership comes from people who are hoping to find something they can get off to.

On the other hand, from those who did read it, the engagement has been quite good. Usually on a stand-alone story I'd expect one comment for every 500-1000 views, or so. For that piece, it's about one comment per 220 views (not including two comments from me replying to other people). I think most of those comments are from other authors.

Looking at SSL's piece, they have 57 comments off 16k views, so about one comment per 280 views, including one long and enthusiastic one by some guy named Simon ;-) A couple of her I/T stories from around the same time have fewer comments than her How-To, even though they have about 6-10x as many views.

So, if you're measuring success by raw view count, then don't bother writing about process, it's a howling wasteland.

But if you're interested not just in getting views, but in making enough enough of an impression on readers to get them commenting - and especially if you're interested in engagement from fellow authors, or authors-to-be - I think it's
So I think it depends on what matters to you. If your metric for success is the view count, then writing about writing process is a howling wasteland; don't bother. But if your goal is not just to be read, but to make enough of an impression on the people who do read to draw comments - or if you particularly value response from fellow authors - then it's not quite so bleak.

Back