Hammered – an Ode to Mickey Spillane” - the 2023 Story Event Official Support Thread

Thank you, @ChloeTzang for hosting this!

I almost feel like my story barely belongs in this event. It is only dealing with the concepts of violence, and very few concepts of sex, although both are in it.

But I was told to put it in this event by my proof/beta-reader, so I hope it can stand proud with the other stories. I'm definitely proud of it.

There are so many different approaches to the broad theme, and so many ways to write a story the really, the intent is what counts and what makes it belong :)

I nearly flipped when I saw the word-count length of your story.

To me that's roughly a year's worth of writing.

It's a novel, really, and its a little rough around the edges, but it was fun to write

Congratulations and thanks to all. I logged in and see the list is up! Sixteen in all. There were more, perhaps still on the way?

My story is raising my views exponentially and has also sparked an interest in other stories. Saw that in the Hammer submission. It has 106 votes in just a short time. It's sitting at 4.73. :love:

A couple of comments:

"Maybe in the Mike Hammer theme the ninja woman hooked him up with a woman even more fucked up that (sic) him???? I guess that goes with the theme but I still didn't really care for her, too big a slut in comparison to his wounded avenging angel persona."

That comment was backhandedly delightful. Yes, noir has that kind of character; ones who are bent but still striving to do right according to the genre blurbs on noir and Hammer. I'm pleased with the assessment, even if it may have lowered the score. The person's comment confirms I was on the mark for character development in writing a noir-style theme.

"A really great read and a unique plot twist on the characters. I enjoy stories that stimulate the mind and this one did that. Sometimes Fate needs a helping hand."

This is the kind of thing I strive for in my writing. Made my day!

Back to reading your stories!

Thank you to @ChloeTzang for hosting and putting in the work for this event.

I look forward to reading all the stories over the coming days.

Well, my story is being 1-bombed. 🤬 Chapter 2 was at 4.83, and Chapter 1 in the high 4.7s, then all of a sudden Ch. 2 went to 4.70 and Ch. 1 to 4.67. Hopefully the Lit people can run some of their programs that eliminate the garbage attacks.

Well, my story is being 1-bombed. 🤬 Chapter 2 was at 4.83, and Chapter 1 in the high 4.7s, then all of a sudden Ch. 2 went to 4.70 and Ch. 1 to 4.67. Hopefully the Lit people can run some of their programs that eliminate the garbage attacks.

That's not a 1-bomb, that's a love tap. Suck it up.

Congratulations, Constories! That's great.

WifeWatchman, hopefully any shenanigans will be flushed out in the wash eventually. Mine got hit hard out of the gate but has climbed back up and is now very close in score to last year's story (to which this one is a sequel) so I'm happy with that. However, I am disappointed in the number of viewers; while I know that doesn't translate into readers, they are related with some percentage of viewers reading the story. By the time this one falls off the new list, it will easily be among my least viewed stories at that point unless it picks up a lot.

Well, crap, I just had this brilliant idea for a story for the event, and it's already done. I mean, the event is already done.

Back