Expressionism and Impressionism in Writing

StopT

Loves Spam
I found myself confused about something and figured it would be right to consult the experts. Could someone explain the difference between impressionism and expressionism, especially in the context of writing?

Just my two cents, but I see it as thus:
Impressionists usually rely on vivid sensory descriptions to set a mood or atmosphere. There's an immediacy in their writing.
Expressionists, however, tend to delve into the psyche, the deeper emotions, inner turmoil, that kind of stuff.

I found myself confused about something and figured it would be right to consult the experts. Could someone explain the difference between impressionism and expressionism, especially in the context of writing?
One begins with im-, the other with ex-.

Well, I did mention experts...
Impressionism (in whatever medium) aims to evoke feelings in the viewer.

Expressionism aims to demonstrate the artist's own subjective feelings.

This isn't to say that there's no overlap. That's possible. They aren't opposites, just different.

This isn't to say that there's no overlap. That's possible. They aren't opposites, just different.
Perfect answer - well done!

The man asked for experts damn it...
Google, the ultimate expert...

What is an example of an impression?

a notion, remembrance, belief, etc., often of a vague or indistinct nature: He had a general impression of lights, voices, and the clinking of silver. a mark, indentation, figure, etc., produced by pressure. an image in the mind caused by something external to it.

What do you mean by the expression?

the manner or form in which a thing is expressed in words; wording; phrasing: delicacy of expression. the power of expressing in words: joy beyond expression. indication of feeling, spirit, character, etc., as on the face, in the voice, or in artistic execution: the lyric expression embodied in his poetry.

Bingo - excellent answer.

Back