What do you love the most about writing?

Reading these makes me realize that I think my "writing" is more suited to my own journals. I think I will let the more experienced/skilled authors actually write stories

I will keep being an avid reader of all of you however
We all have a "very first story."

It's when you have the courage to publish that very first story, and see that someone likes it, that you can go on and write your second story, then your tenth story, your twentieth; and after many years you might have a million words published and ideas for a million more.

I'd encourage you to polish up and publish something.

Everyone else here had a very first story. Courage, grasshopper!

Huh, I love the editing bit. The hard work is done, now I get to polish it and turn it onto something that sparkles.

That is an interesting spin on editing. Because you're right. Sometimes you can polish an otherwise basic story into a true gem during the editing process.

I mean, those bones of the piece still need to be there first. But then you start tweaking and can find some truly great improvements in the edit.

Good question.

I often wonder why the hell I do this. I'm certainly not a writer. Not in the professional sense anyway. Never was a goal of mine growing up. Never an aspiration.

I have always had an active imagination. But even then most of my (non sexual) fantasies as a kid was simply me imagining myself as Luke Skywalker or Spiderman or something.

I started writing here over two years ago during the pandemic. I was bored. I was horny. And I decided to see if I could write my own sex fantasies here.

For fun.

So I suppose what do I find fun about it? Crafting it. Creating it. Getting it out of my head in words other people can then read and understand and imagine themselves as MY characters for a change.

Yeah, maybe that's it. The fun of creating something someone else can enjoy just as much as I enjoy other people's stories.

Now that I'm retired, I write for fun. For my own entertainment. But for 55 years I wrote so that I could pay the butcher, the baker, and the wine merchant without the need to get a proper job. :)

Really
Good question.

I often wonder why the hell I do this. I'm certainly not a writer. Not in the professional sense anyway. Never was a goal of mine growing up. Never an aspiration.

I have always had an active imagination. But even then most of my (non sexual) fantasies as a kid was simply me imagining myself as Luke Skywalker or Spiderman or something.

I started writing here over two years ago during the pandemic. I was bored. I was horny. And I decided to see if I could write my own sex fantasies here.

For fun.

So I suppose what do I find fun about it? Crafting it. Creating it. Getting it out of my head in words other people can then read and understand and imagine themselves as MY characters for a change.

Yeah, maybe that's it. The fun of creating something someone else can enjoy just as much as I enjoy other people's stories.
well said and very much appreciate this (and your writings)

Kind of a little/strange thing...

But when I write a piece of dialogue or use a metaphor, and then a few thousand words (or longer) later, I realize that past metaphor or dialogue is now PERFECT to bring up again. There's something so satisfying about the little lightbulb that pops up and I can find a way to work that element back into the story to reinforce a theme or develop a relationship.

Kind of a little/strange thing...

But when I write a piece of dialogue or use a metaphor, and then a few thousand words (or longer) later, I realize that past metaphor or dialogue is now PERFECT to bring up again. There's something so satisfying about the little lightbulb that pops up and I can find a way to work that element back into the story to reinforce a theme or develop a relationship.

I think those of us who enjoy storytelling (be it in words, or visually, or both) can learn to recognize key elements of storytelling, even if we're not formally trained in it.

So yeah, those little Ah Ha moments when we recognize we've accomplished some essential ingredient of storytelling can be especially satisfying.

I loved creative writing class in school.. I may not know all about grammar or punctuation, but I love writing stories and poetry.
I started poetry around age 12, and I graduated to erotica around age 20.
I used to write for friends, especially my male friends. The more they loved it, the more confidence I got about it.

I swear I'm A. D. D. Because I get overwhelmed writing more than 1k words per story.
But I try to make them pack a punch with hotness, lol.
I love knowing people's fantasies, and turning them into a story with detail.
It excites me as I'm writing, thinking how my stories may arouse others. 😈💜

Huh, I love the editing bit. The hard work is done, now I get to polish it and turn it onto something that sparkles.
Me too. One of my stories is in version 9 on Smashwords, where it's really easy to release an update.

II was curious - what do you love the most about writing and even from that, publishing them?

The simple fact we can create something from thin air is one of my favorite aspects of fiction. These characters and stories did not exist, and then they do. Part of me believes they don’t actually exist until someone reads the story. That’s where the publishing part comes in. It completes the process.

I appreciate creative epiphanies. I’m stuck with a challenge of where to go with the story; how to create conflict, resolve a conflict, or justify character actions and motives - and the answer strikes in a eureka moment. That’s satisfying.

If the work connects with readers and you receive a little affirmation, that’s great, but it doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the process. I wish I had the self confidence to submit work here sooner. It took fifteen years for me to post my first chapter. I feel like I lost a lot of time being self critical and insecure.

THAT moment when the idea sprawls onto the (virtual) page and the characters run free and you try and chase them down, the story flows and takes you with it.

Hi everyone

I personally enjoy the memories that my writing stirs up. Being honest, it actually turns me on remembering the details.
I went through a long stage of that, dredging up memories as I trawled for inspiration for stories. And, yes, it became something I loved about writing. It's harder after a thousand and a half stories to isolate unused memories now, but it certainly was great to relive them--as it was to live them in the first place.

I have been writing (with the inspiration of others) for a little bit now. I have found that the aspect of writing that I enjoy the most leans to the cathartic aspect of it.

I don't quite know yet if I want anything to be published - rather, I think that these stories are for me. So many of you publish your wonderful stories. I was curious - what do you love the most about writing and even from that, publishing them?

I know it is such a generalized question but as someone who is very new to this and came across the experience of thinking of it recently, I wanted to post it here and get thoughts.
The bit I love the most....
When I get a little splash of inspiration. Let's call that stage one.
Stage two is when I start to write. The characters grow, become visible. I hear their voices, their laughter. I envisage how they think, what they will wear. Then the story begins to unfurl and I love that phase, seeing the story come alive.
Phase three, not so much... The ending..... Argh..... Why can I never get it right???
Never mind, oh dear.

Cagivagurl

I love being creative. In any form. I've done many artistic things in my fifty-five years—painting, model building, poetry, calligraphy, stained glass, singing in a band, etc. When what you have painted, built, written, or composed sits before you in its completed form, it's a little bit of you, outside of you. That's very satisfying. And when someone else sees it, and says, "Damn man, that's pretty fucking good!", it becomes highly addictive. Do you think the Rolling Stones would still be cranking out albums at eighty years old if it wasn't?

I write for my own fun, to let my mind wander beyond the “normals” into the anything is possible. Only very recently I had the idea to actually clean up the grammar and post them in the, well maybe others would enjoy this also thinking.

What I enjoy the most about writing is the feeling of immersion, to the point where I don't notice the time passing. I have written certain stories as an impulse, and spent hours and hours, sometimes a whole day, writing and editing them. Nothing else makes me feel so concentrated.

I also like the feeling of control, of being able to dictate every word and every little detail. Sometimes editing is even more pleasurable because of that feeling. I enjoy being able to tweak and add more without worrying about a budget.

what do you love the most about writing
Two things for me. One is that I have ideas - large and small - that I want others to hear about, and that I want to work through in detail. Tons of them.

The other is that I enjoy living in a made up world for a while. When I can't find a novel with a good enough world, I can just make one up that is made just for me.

You would think that writing here is all about the latter for me, and to some extent it is, but I find that I have to sometimes remind myself to get to the 'good' part because I start working out ideas - about people, about society, etc - and go down rabbit holes. I mostly leave those in the stories I publish, though often lightened up and in less detail.
what I am writing is more suited for just journaling

Hmm, maybe my above gives you food for thought on that. I mean, a lot of what I write could be seen as journaling, but put into made up people's heads as they deal with my made up situations.

EDIT: I just remembered that my first story, "Our New Nude Life" (for the Nude Day contest) starts with a few paragraphs of philosophical musing on nudity and sex, without it even being quoted as dialog. The whole first scene is the two MCs discussing it while half naked in bed on a lazy morning and getting a little frisky.

That's how I started writing here. Almost literally just journaling thoughts on nudity and sex.

Last edited:
I find I’m motivated by the development of a character(s) more than plot (including the smutty parts). I have an inventory of erotic plots and premise’s lying around, but until I imagine a character in them, and what they will think and decide and go through, they just sit there untouched.

Love the moment an idea turns into a scene and scenes turn into a story.
Also love the opportunity to improve my English.

Love the moment an idea turns into a scene and scenes turn into a story.
If you're talking moments rather than the process as a whole, my favorite moments are when one of my characters makes a decision I didn't expect, and it turns the whole story.

The opening of Aces 5 was like that. MC turned down a blowjob, and he did it very rudely (for reasons that derive from his hang ups). It created a conflict that ran for two chapters that I hadn't planned at all. I had no idea he was going to say and do what he did. I had written myself into a corner where what I was planning was too unrealistic given who he was, so I let him do what he needed to do, and he took it too far.

I had another (unpublished) story where the MC did something so unexpectedly violent that I actually had to step away from the keyboard for a few minutes to process it.

Back