What do you love the most about writing?

JJ82490

Really Experienced
I have been writing (with the inspiration of others) for a little bit now. I have found that the aspect of writing that I enjoy the most leans to the cathartic aspect of it.

I don't quite know yet if I want anything to be published - rather, I think that these stories are for me. So many of you publish your wonderful stories. I was curious - what do you love the most about writing and even from that, publishing them?

I know it is such a generalized question but as someone who is very new to this and came across the experience of thinking of it recently, I wanted to post it here and get thoughts.

I like immersing myself in the world I've created, spending quality time with my (imaginary) friends and lovers. They're a randy bunch, but they're sweet and loving, too. "We" have lots of fun living life together.

Publishing? Not my objective, as the joy is in the writing, but I do so out of the possibility that somebody else might be interested in spending a few moments with the gang over a beer or cup of coffee.

Finishing. It is intensely satisfying after all of the brainstorming, plotting and outlining, drafting, editing, drafting again, editing, (sometimes) beta feedback, final edits and proofs - all of which I love (okay, proofing is somewhat tedious) - to see the finished product meet all of my standards and I can release it to the world (all nine of the folks out there who care :p ).

I like making shit up, crazy stuff that the character can get away with minus any conscience, responsibility, or consequences. You know, cheating wives and cuckold stories.

I also write for myself. Although wouldn’t be 100% honest if I said it was just for me I hope someone will get off or enjoy my story.

I also enjoy it. I get the idea of it being cathartic. It’s a decent release and a good way to express things.

I also tend to write a lot of poetry. Maybe even a little more cathartic than writing sex stories. 😀

Most of my stories start as fleshes of inspiration. It's only when I begin writing that they blossom and grow. That's what I love, the exploring a new world, meeting my characters as they tell me who they really are. I love the feeling of seeing a new world expand as the story unfolds. Sure, in a lot of them, I have a general idea where things are going, but there can be so many ways to get there, and so much to discover along the way.

Jo likes to read them after they have come back from the editor. She doesn't like hints, reading excerpts, or telling me how she wants the story to go. But after she reads, we fool around as well.
Huh, I love the editing bit. The hard work is done, now I get to polish it and turn it onto something that sparkles.

I also like the bit where I read my stories to my wife. And the bit immediately after I've read my stories to my wife.

The freedom of it.
Building worlds and characters, creating better versions of people who are less gray than typical real-world humans. Writing worlds where one can be their erotic self without fear of being called out or prosecuted by false morality. Creating heroes who overcome adversity and writing endings that can be happy or bittersweet but never the hypocritical bullshit that we have here. Being realistic is not my goal, but creating relatable and humane characters and worlds is.

What do you love the most about writing?​

Cheating and giving several answers:

1. Some writing is cathartic as you say - but that’s probably no more than 20-25% for me
  2. Thinking you have created something is a pretty cool feeling
  3. If just one person reaches out to you and says you made them feel something, that’s precious, especially if that something is along the lines of: “I’m not alone” or “that brought me some comfort”
Emily

Thanks all for the responses. They are really wonderful to read and gathering your different viewpoints is very cool, thank you

Just the process of telling a story. When you're in the flow and the keys are tapping and the muse is yapping, and you're in that place where writing just seems so damn easy. That's a great rush.

Then...there's the other times.

Everything I have liked above plus the opportunity to exercise my imagination and create a world that matches my fantasies. And be praised for it. Or criticized, but you can tell the critics to stuff it and go read something else. :D

Just the process of telling a story. When you're in the flow and the keys are tapping and the muse is yapping, and you're in that place where writing just seems so damn easy. That's a great rush.

Then...there's the other times.
This, pretty much. I think of it as writing downhill, where I get a head of steam and don't come up for air until I reach the bottom or trip over something. It doesn't happen every time I sit down to write - or even close to every time - but I never know until I start. And when it happens it's a lot of fun.

Reading these makes me realize that I think my "writing" is more suited to my own journals. I think I will let the more experienced/skilled authors actually write stories :)

I will keep being an avid reader of all of you however :)

What I love most about writing is having a creative output in my last years--following a couple of early retirements. My days aren't dull, and many have been the times when I was in physical pain and the process of writing makes me forget I am. I sit at the computer and flip out into my choice of other worlds and stories to explore for that day. I can't imagine how I would fill my days in this period of my life without it. And the gravy is to walk into my den and seeing, spread out on a large coffee table, actual physical books I've gotten published in these years.

Last edited:
Reading these makes me realize that I think my "writing" is more suited to my own journals. I think I will let the more experienced/skilled authors actually write stories :)

I will keep being an avid reader of all of you however :)
People become experienced/skilled authors by writing said stories. If you want to and/or like to write, you should write. Ignore your critics - internal and external - until you actually want some feedback. You obviously don't have to share what you write, but it can be rewarding in its own way.

People become experienced/skilled authors by writing said stories. If you want to and/or like to write, you should write. Ignore your critics - internal and external - until you actually want some feedback. You obviously don't have to share what you write, but it can be rewarding in its own way.
I appreciate the feedback. I think what I am finding is that what I am writing is more suited for just journaling, rather than creating a universe like others are able to do. At this point, my only critics are internal and its been nice to put what is in my head onto paper. Plus, being able to come here has been very helpful

Hi everyone

I personally enjoy the memories that my writing stirs up. Being honest, it actually turns me on remembering the details.

Back