What part of writing do you enjoy the most?

alohadave

Amateur wordslinger
Dialog, exposition, world-building, sex scenes, etc. What do you like to write the most? Not necessarily what you are good at, but you like writing.

I've decided that I really like writing dialog. I'm certainly no expert at it and it's as spare as the rest of my writing, but I like writing a good block of dialog between two characters.

Dialogue and sex action. Sometimes fights and car chases are also fun. My favorite, though, is character backstories. And putting new spins on cliches.

Worldbuilding. I often have to stop myself.

Or, if it's not an SF/fantasy/supernatural story, then background research. Which is also worldbuilding, or at least world-informing. Dialogue is fun, too.

It varies from story to story, and there isn't just one thing. But in general, I'd say this:

1. I probably enjoy coming up with story ideas the most. I'm better with ideas than I am with execution.

2. I like creating the situation--the characters' goals and intentions, the erotic conflict and taboos, the process by which they get to the fulfillment they are seeking.

3. I like endings. I usually write the last page or few paragraphs of a story before I'm very far into it.

I really enjoy coming up with ideas, and then formulating a story outward from that. During the writing process itself, my favorite part is definitely dialogue... particularly sex-based talk. I also love creating links and call-backs to past stories... I'm not sure if any readers notice these connections, but they're a lot of fun for me. 🤔

Dialog, exposition, world-building, sex scenes, etc. What do you like to write the most? Not necessarily what you are good at, but you like writing.

I've decided that I really like writing dialog. I'm certainly no expert at it and it's as spare as the rest of my writing, but I like writing a good block of dialog between two characters.
It changes from story to story. In a Hard Day’s Night I actually really enjoyed describing each of the neighborhoods that Mimi visits clients in; down to the architecture of buildings.

I love a lot of my characters. Eden Baker, because she is not like me. Emma and Lily as each is one side of my character, but they can act without restraint, though still being as essentially good as a she-demon and fallen angel can.

I really enjoyed the challenge of a complicated plot with seeds planted and later payoffs in Heaven & Hole.

I liked the Universe building in The Coleoidphilia Trilogy.

But I think I like dialog best. My FMCs are normally either sassy and witty, or otherworldly and odd. They talk how I’d like to if I was less shy.

Em

Dialogue is the easy answer b/c it feels like you can really capture humanity through it more easily than other tools. (and readers have shared expectations dialogue can do so.)

The pinnacle, however, is finding that spark of genius feeling solution holding back the floodgates of creativity. Sometimes it's a plot point. Sometimes it's motivations. Sometimes it's backstory justifying whatever emotional wound.

But when you hit on it and that high lets you roll through even tons of ugly prose "dirt" to find gems you dig out and later polish into precious stones? That's my biggest rush.

Character development and relationship building.

This for me by far.

It varies from story to story, and there isn't just one thing. But in general, I'd say this:

3. I like endings. I usually write the last page or few paragraphs of a story before I'm very far into it.

I need to sit under your learning tree. I absolutely suck at ending stories. I either stretch them out too long, or cut them off too short. I doesn't help that I rarely have an ending in mind when I start, it's normally just a scene or line in my head and I work out from there.

Creating something that's mine, that I can look at and say 'I made this'.

So I guess the pride in a finished and polished product, that other people have read and enjoyed.

In the actual development process... I like when I feel I've done something clever, or to a high standard. It doesn't matter if it's a good passage of dialogue, or a bit of nicely subtle foreshadowing, but when I have that moment of inspiration or polish or what I wrote surprises even me with wondering where I managed to pull out such a nice bit of writing.. yeah, that's the good stuff.

I guess I like structuring the reader experience? Choosing what to reveal, when, to lead them through the story you want to tell. Sometimes it's internal monologue, sometimes it's character interaction, sometimes it's narrative exposition... designing the reading experience tickles my desire to create, and what that might be changes with the story. I think.

This for me by far.

I need to sit under your learning tree. I absolutely suck at ending stories. I either stretch them out too long, or cut them off too short. I doesn't help that I rarely have an ending in mind when I start, it's normally just a scene or line in my head and I work out from there.

We're all different. I always write with an ending in mind. To me it's like wanting to end a symphony on just the right note--everything that comes before should lead to that point.

Some of my characters are fun people too. The proud positive sexual beings, mostly. The villains aren't fun except when they're getting shut down. A few of the more interesting heroes-

Doug Ramsay- proud polyamorous entertainment mogul and creative artist, manager of an adult nightclub, former sheriff's deputy and college student, grew up an expatriate diplomat's adopted son in Taipei. Awkward social autistic charmer of women with a few disturbing sexual experiences. Casanova with principles.

Lisa Coleman- Doug's female counterpart, soulmate, and eventual hotwife. Polyamorous bisexual psychotherapist with serious martial arts skills and a brief membership in a biker gang. Tries to manage her nymphomania with shame reduction and support of principles similar to Doug's, plus a lot of vetting for her partners and rules they must follow. Has given her therapy to many clients, including celebrities and Doug. Negative history with jerks.

Boris Garin & Elena Ruiz- their college friends and Resident Assistants, eventual employers at a resort hotel for various vacationers. Both are reluctant bisexuals who marry each other for mutual support.

Clarke- the former commando who manages security at Doug's club and the resort. A big black guy who's a fanboy of Michael Clarke Duncan, John Wayne, Rambo, and Superman to various degrees. Really gets around.

Jodie Lee Nichols- Doug's former high school girlfriend, still a friend with benefits. Aussie female covert ops officer and co-manager of Inside Out.

Shauna & Tara Shapiro- foster twin sisters married to each other, friends with Lisa and Doug. Freelance forensic accountants and pool hustlers.

Tess Winfield- a doctor who doesn't mind aiding her patients' sexual issues. Lisa's high school best friend and long distance college hookup. Eventual doctor at the club and resort.

Keith Wing-Matthews- Doug's half-Asian half-American computer guru pal.

Stephanie Coleman- Lisa's sister and Keith's spouse slash equal in computer skill. Plus she's got some softball skills and shares Lisa's sexual interests somewhat.

The staff of Inside Out, an international retired commando squad who need more detail.

Angie Messina- Doug's second lasting college girlfriend, architect and crazed fan girl of Ryan Reynolds and sex in dangerous circumstances. Be cautious if you meet her.

Silvan Farrow- a professed Faerie Alien Hybrid genie who directs a Masonic Order that aids the heroes and the world.

Recurring Celebrities include Erika Christensen, Cat Osterman, Alicia Witt, Evan Rachel Wood, Scarlett Johansson, Keira Knightley, Katie Holmes, Keri Russell, Ryan Reynolds, Busy Phillipps, and Michelle Williams. More appear in stand-alone works.

Recurring antagonists include-

"Lord" Jim Kurtz- East London crime boss, arsonist and gang backer. Runs illegal prize fights, tenements, and bars known for bad activities. Joseph Conrad villain fanboy.

Kathleen Ansley aka Courtney Crowe- female sexual harassment troll and later strip club queen bee, then drug addict slash supplier. Man's nightmare made flesh.

Gary Parker- idiot tabloid reporter overly into shameful stories. His colleagues Baxter Page and Nadine Holliday are nicer about their craft.

Tom Cruise, Kirk Cameron, and Jessica Feshbach have appeared as one shot celebrity antagonists. We'll get more of these later on, subject to Lit's guidelines and my muses slash writing time.

Definitely writing dialogue. Whether it's an argument or idle banter or playful flirting, writing a back-and-forth between characters and watching the conversation and relationship sort of 'come alive' is my favorite part, especially when the dialogue really starts to flow and almost take on a life of its own.

The writing process, in order from most appealing to least appealing:
  1. The ending of a tale.
  2. Coming up with the primary creative idea and plotline for the story.
  3. Worldbuilding and lore.
  4. Dialogue.
  5. Action scenes.
  6. Character 'creation' and descriptions.
  7. Research. (Unless it's a very interesting topic)
  8. Coffee break.
  9. Sex scenes.
  10. Editing. Bleh.

Back