Reworking a contest story for a future series?

FreyaGersemi

Writer of Sexy Stuff
I submitted a story for the Valentine's Day Contest. Some Literotica authors led me to believe that I could then use that in a series AFTER the contest. My intent was to write a sweet and lovely story for the contest, then rework it for a series that I'm writing now. The rework would make it quite a bit darker and molded around the story arc of the new series. Just at a random guess, I would say 20-30% changed. Maybe more. But again, the overall tone would be quite a bit different and with added scenes and some dialog changes.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this and what were your experiences? I would like to leave the Valentine's Day story up because it is a nice story and I would, of course, put a forward in the new story explaining that it is a rework. Thank you.

Do it.

As you say, just add a little note up front so readers know what's going on. I don't think it's a hanging offence if you rework your own work - you are the original author, after all - to make it part of something new.

I submitted a story for the Valentine's Day Contest. Some Literotica authors led me to believe that I could then use that in a series AFTER the contest. My intent was to write a sweet and lovely story for the contest, then rework it for a series that I'm writing now. The rework would make it quite a bit darker and molded around the story arc of the new series. Just at a random guess, I would say 20-30% changed. Maybe more. But again, the overall tone would be quite a bit different and with added scenes and some dialog changes.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this and what were your experiences? I would like to leave the Valentine's Day story up because it is a nice story and I would, of course, put a forward in the new story explaining that it is a rework. Thank you.
I submitted my story a year and a half ago for a challenge: "Amorous Goods - The Anklet Pair", and it was well received (4.6 with 124 votes and over 17k views.) So, I wrote a sequel "Amorous Goods - The Anklet Pair Pt 2" and published it a week after the challenge end. But it only made it to 4.3 with 26 votes and 3.3k views.

In that sequel, I turned the story from magic to a scifi, "war of the Worlds" plot and darker. This past October, I wrote the third part "Amorous Goods - The Magic Lamp" which furthered the war and darker (tentacle monster sex). It's only at 3.71 with just 7 votes, but 5.6k views.

Sooo... I'm guessing the magic lovers enjoying the hot sex of the first story weren't as interested in the slightly more abusive sex and scifi turn of the other two. And they definitely don't like tentacle monsters (although the wife wore the monster out, LOL). EDIT: And in that third story, it seems women are going to save the Earth with their sex drive hormones.

Yes, I submitted 3 complete stories under a story arc titled Andi's Dream for the Winter Holidays, and after the contest I continued the story arc, and wrote a six chapter story titled All Aboard Andi's Dream, four chapters are up with 2 more ready to post. It's worked out pretty good.

I don’t participate in the contests here, I don’t believe I’m popular enough to win, but I wish you luck in your creative endeavors however you choose to further them. May your stories remain successful and hot.

It's become fairly common practice among mainstream authors. There was an anthology of fantasy stories/novellas called Legends (1998), and a sequel called Legends II (2003). They were the first anthologies I remember that had authors I actually wanted to read: Terry Pratchett, George RR Martin, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Ursula Le Guin, Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, Robert Jordan. All new works that tied in with their popular series.

My point is that several of those authors subsequently reworked and/or expanded those stories for separate works. If they can do it, so can you!

I submitted a story for the Valentine's Day Contest. ... My intent was to write a sweet and lovely story for the contest, ...

The rework would make it quite a bit darker and molded around the story arc of the new series. Just at a random guess, I would say 20-30% changed. Maybe more. But again, the overall tone would be quite a bit different and with added scenes and some dialog changes.
A word of caution: When you rework your story, as I gave in my example above, the change in tone from sexy fun to darker turns off much of the original audience. You will be writing to attract a far different audience, and those voter reactions and comments will be different.

Last edited:
the change in tone from sexy fun to darker turns of much of the original audience.
Yes. People love to pigeonhole and some can become very upset with anything that deviates from their preconceived notions. It's so difficult to please everyone! 😜 But my second series needs the darker turn. You know, the typical second act.

Nothing wrong with this. If it’s different enough, Laurel will be fine with it as a stand-alone work.

I’m going to re-write longer versions of a few of my 750 word stories and extend them into either series or short-to-medium sized stories.

You will need to use a variant title though. Or just add Redux.

As others have said, explain to your readers what you are doing (and put a note to Laurel when you submit).

Emily

Back