writing habits for authors

I generally write to music. I tend to default to instrumental stuff - hard bop jazz, etc. However, sometimes there will be a very specific artist that chimes with what I am writing.

There was a specific section of a long-form piece I wrote which was pacy with a sleezy undertone (really, it was neo-noir). I wrote that while listening obsessively to The New Abnormal by The Strokes. And I've just finished a first draft of a more melancholy piece. That was written whilst listening to Lana Del Rey, Lorde, and Japanese Breakfast.

I think, in these kinds of situations, the music almost acts as an internal soundtrack and, as I write, I find myself matching the action, the scenes, the drama, to that soundtrack.

I sit in the chair and I type - for as long as comfortably possible. No distractions, no music, ignore the phone, nothing. Usually I have a little fan going for white noise to drown out anything else that sticks out of the silence. When I'm really into it, leave me alone, I'm writing, grrr!

what do other authors do when writing. do you listen to music? want quiet?

when I write, I like to have YouTube going with some music. helps me write or at least be calm and peaceful having a bit of background noise. what do others do while writing. this is just for curiosity.
Quiet. I can't use music as background. If it's playing, and I like it, I listen to it. I also can't tolerate interruptions or TV noise. The creation of my stories comes in the night while I'm lying in bed. The putting them into words occurs in a totally quiet house.

Let me add a different perspective:

I regularly do creative work of two very different types: I write fiction, and I work in tech.

Writing is what gets me up in the morning. Caffeine + quiet, with a fresh mind.

On the other hand, later when I’m designing, or solving a technical problem, or analyzing experimental results, loud and energetic music is just the thing. I can do CAD, analyze statistics, even write code (which is text in a different language) with complex electronica rocking, even with lyrics.

Both kinds of work are verbal, both involve symbols, both require visualization. But the two different activities seem to use different parts of my brain. One needs a low-noise environment, the other just the opposite.

Go figure,

VM

P.S. Since someone will ask: Marie Davidson, The Juan MacLean, Swayzak, Anthony Rother, Ladytron, Miss Kittin, the list goes on.

I write in the morning, after breakfast, usually from there until noonish. I usually have a cup of coffee to keep me company, though sometimes I opt for tea.

No particular pattern in the background - sometimes I write in relative quiet, other times I fire up the stereo and drop an album on or listen to XM radio, sometimes the TV is running in the background.

Every now and then I'll play certain songs to get me into a certain headspace.

I write from a detailed plot sheet, detailed down to the scene level. I will deviate from the plot sheet if inspiration strikes.

I speed through the first draft (just get the words down), then come back and cycle through it, on average, five times in the editing phase.

I prefer silence. I think hearing a person singing would be distracting. If I were to try music, it would have to be instrumental, perhaps classical or bluegrass (yes, I have very eclectic tastes in music).

Back