Music you listen to for writing inspiration...

Pregame: Lyrical bend, ambiguity preferred. Radioheads, Bon Ivers, Death Cab similar.
All about tripping neurons into a creative inclination.

Actual writing: Ambient, drone, curated classical and movie soundtracks.
Competing interests when it comes to lyrics. Other narratives short circuit my ability to craft my own sadly. Jazz, lots of classical too brassy.

Emotional passages: Tori, Phair, Mitski, Wolf Alice, Maniacs/Merchant, Sade, Mazzy, earlier Norah, Bridgers.

Sexy passages: Can handle myself but Björk has a special place in my heart.
We have a lot of the same inspo artists. 💗 I'm actually kind of shook.

We have a lot of the same inspo artists. 💗 I'm actually kind of shook.
Only be shook if you wanna be. 😊

Music is very age specific so it's very likely similar ages/demographics run in step.

The more modern influences seem (to me) to be inspired by the inevitable cycles of repetition. (hotness then anti-hotness, forgotten, rediscovered, then reimagined by new artists with new tools, sensibilities)

Also, I'm admittedly very clustered. I'm less and less in tune with the more limited narrative/loud wars stuff I grew up with so I Map off of what still resonates through all my changing and get essentially "new to me" stuff that's probably very much in the same vein/past tenses for most people.

But it works for me so I keep on keeping on.

For some reason I can listen to music while I read just fine, but when I am writing... nope.
Not even instrumental or soundtrack stuff. It just doesn't work for me. And annoyingly, that makes writing more difficult as well. Because I am the kind of person who can get bored like that and just opens YouTube. But then my attention is gone and I am now watching an hour long documentary on something about ancient Rome.

When I want (or need) to write, I need silence. Just the fantasy in my head and nothing else.

Depends what I'm writing. I've made playlists just for certain things before. Like a steampunk playlist for a steampunk story. Gothic rock and metal for a story involving horror themes. It's not that I need them, they just help me stay in those stories. If I write a fantasy gamebook, which I'm considering, I'll work on a folksy, probably celtic based playlist while I'm writing it.

Like many have said, I find music distracting when writing. Otherwise I love music. I've tried listening to playlists of different genres, but have found them all distracting in one way or another. I find the ambient noise of my neighborhood relaxing and easier to write with in the background.

WB

Like many have said, I find music distracting when writing. Otherwise I love music. I've tried listening to playlists of different genres, but have found them all distracting in one way or another. I find the ambient noise of my neighborhood relaxing and easier to write with in the background.

WB
I totally understand this. I often won't even notice if the music I'm listening to has finished for an hour. I actually don't think it's the listening to the music while writing that helps, so much as it's the listening to and choosing music outside of writing. I also place appropriate objects and sometimes books in prominent places in the study and on the desk while I'm writing a specific type of story. Unfortunately, for the incest story I've written for Lit, and the follow up I'm writing now, I don't have an incest playlist or incest relevant items I can put on the desk.

I totally understand this. I often won't even notice if the music I'm listening to has finished for an hour. I actually don't think it's the listening to the music while writing that helps, so much as it's the listening to and choosing music outside of writing. I also place appropriate objects and sometimes books in prominent places in the study and on the desk while I'm writing a specific type of story. Unfortunately, for the incest story I've written for Lit, and the follow up I'm writing now, I don't have an incest playlist or incest relevant items I can put on the desk.
I do that a lot with pictures. Sometimes when outlining a story, I'll scan through pictures on the web or I'll come across one by accident and it's like, "yeah, that's the face or attitude and personality I want this or that character to have." So I'll take a screenshot and save it in that story's folder for reference in case I stray from focus. The pictures always put me back on track.

WB

I do that a lot with pictures. Sometimes when outlining a story, I'll scan through pictures on the web or I'll come across one by accident and it's like, "yeah, that's the face or attitude and personality I want this or that character to have." So I'll take a screenshot and save it in that story's folder for reference in case I stray from focus. The pictures always put me back on track.

WB
I'll try that. Thanks.

WB
I get this, but I also usually pick music that helps my story. Example- the God of War Ragnarok soundtrack for my God of War story. Or Lindsay Pagano’s album for Compensation. Sometimes you need to get in the right mood.

I trust my YouTube shuffle to guide me. It takes me different places with characters, moods , thoughts 💭 to give a persona character.

I’m watching thirty seconds to mars on Hulu Austin City Limits day 2 right now.

depends. most of my WIPs have a dedicated playlist of instrumental music (mostly from video games) that i put together the list so that the music has the same vibe as the WIP
BUT i don't know any instrumental music that fits my smuts xD

mostly nothing, sometimes piano music; usually Liszt, Chopin or Beethoven. The problem is that then I get lost in the music rather than words :p

So mostly nothing.

Back