Bible quotes in fiction writing

When writing out Bible quotes, I know the ideal is, "2 Peter" and writing that number as a number. However, I'm second guessing myself. When it comes to fiction writing, would I still write the number?"

Here's what I've written:

Two Peter doesn't look right, but I figured I would ask and let you fine folks tell me what's what.
What would be written on the actual sign?

That might be completely different from Manual of Style conventions for writing prose.

What would be written on the actual sign?

That might be completely different from Manual of Style conventions for writing prose.

An actual sign would most likely say "2 Peter 1:21".
Pretty much every church sign containing a Bible verse I've ever seen is formatted that way.

When writing out Bible quotes, I know the ideal is, "2 Peter" and writing that number as a number. However, I'm second guessing myself. When it comes to fiction writing, would I still write the number?"

Here's what I've written:
Not an answer but a question. Am intrigued what you are writing…?

Two Peter doesn't look right, but I figured I would ask and let you fine folks tell me what's what.

I said it before, but it's worth repeating: this entire conversation makes no sense whatsoever except in a specific context in the story.

If your story narrates what appears on a sign, then obviously it's going to use the numeral 2 rather than spelling it out. That's what church signs do. It has nothing to do with writing conventions or style guides. It's all about what you would actually see if you drove by a sign. A sign will read "John 3:16." No sign reads "John, chapter three, verse sixteen."

If in narration you write something like:

Uncle Joe's favorite passage of scripture was John 3:16.

Then I think that's the way you would typically write it. That's the way I usually see it appearing. That's the way I'd do it.

But you could also write it this way:

Uncle Joe's favorite passage of scripture was in the Book of John, Chapter 3, verse 16.

If it's in dialogue, then it all depends on how the character would likely say it. Again, style guides are meaningless for answering this question. It might be something like:

"You ever read the Book of John, nephew?" my Uncle Joe asked. "Chapter 3, verse 16. It's all you need."

You could write out "three" but then it's inconsistent with "16", and numbers over ten usually are depicted with numerals rather than spelled out.

But Uncle Joe might also ask, "You ever read John 3:16, nephew? It's all you need."

Back