What I Wrote and Why: The Adventures of Ranger Ramona

MelissaBaby

Wordy Bitch
I grew up in rural Maine. My father was not a part of my life, it was just me, my mom and my older brother. We moved a lot, as the poor often do. There were a couple of spells when we lived in Bangor, but mostly we lived in trailers or ramshackle old houses in small towns. Towns that were little more than lines on a map. Sometimes there was a store, more often there was a town office, a post office and a couple hundred houses scattered along state highways or bumpy dirt roads. Once in a while there was the blessing of a library.

Friends were hard to come by. We didn't stay in any one place much more than a single school year, and most of the time there were few close neighbors. I spent most of my time alone, reading books or wandering in the woods.

The forests of northern New England nearly vanished during the logging boom of the 19th century, but as the nation moved west, the loggers moved on. The farmers left as well, abandoning their rocky fields for greener pastures. The forests took back their kingdom. To a little girl exploring them, they were a strange and wondrous place, filled with stories and secrets. Stone walls wound through deep woods. Rows of apple trees and tremendous lilacs filled glades far from any road. Even a few weathered, half collapsed houses and barns stood here and there, empty for many decades.

I attended more than half a dozen elementary schools. Despite all the upheaval, I was almost always one of the best students in my class. But I hated school. I was restless and bored. I would finish assignments in half the time it took the other students. Of course, I acted out. I'd fidget and sigh, drum my feet on the floor or my fingers on the desk. I'd pass notes or whisper to classmates.

One day, in the fifth grade, I finished a reading assignment quickly, then waited impatiently for the others to catch up. My teacher, Mrs. Lawson, stood and gestured to me. I followed her into the hall, fearing I had finally gotten on her last nerve.

She asked me what was bothering me. I told her that the reading assignments were dumb and boring. They were "little kid" stories. I asked her what I was supposed to do when I had finished them and had to sit and wait for the rest of the class to catch up.

She nodded and told me she understood. Then she handed me a book. I took it and flipped it open. The pages were blank.

"If you don't like these stories," she said, "Write your own."

The next time I finished an assignment early, I took out the blank book. We lived next to a horse farm at the time, so I started writing about the horses; their names, what they looked like, how I would reach through the fence and feed them the wild apples that fell on the roadside.

I continued writing in every slow period, and soon I wrote at home as well. My brother would tease me, so I went to a favorite spot in the woods, sat on a tree stump, and wrote. My imagination took flight, and soon, I was making up real stories. I imagined a girl, not much older than myself, who was so smart and so capable and so brave, that she didn't have to go to school and became a forest ranger instead.

Her name was Ramona, and she had wonderful adventures. She rescued animals from iron traps and rushing flood waters. She explored old cabins and found amazing treasures. She found an orphaned baby moose and made it her pet.

Puberty changes us not just physically, but emotionally and intellectually as well. Things that fascinated us as children fade from our thoughts. Most kids lose touch with their creative interests. All but a blessed few stop drawing, stop dancing, stop making music. They stop writing stories.

Somewhere, in some move, the blank book and the spiral notebooks that followed it were lost, physically and from my consciousness.

My teen years and young adulthood were troubled, as I have chronicled elsewhere for those who want to know the story. When I was twenty four, I was incarcerated. I spent eighteen months in prison. Once again plagued by restless boredom, I partook of every opportunity to combat it. There were many classes offered, and I took one in creative writing. A small spark was relit, but did not yet grow into a flame.

I struggled to rebuild my life after I was released. One day my mother reminded me of how I used to write, and suggested that writing about my experiences might help me move past them. She reminded me of the stories about the horses and of the girl who became a ranger.

A lot of things were changing in my life, and I did not start writing again for a while. I moved away, I got a steady job and most amazingly, a stable healthy relationship. Still, I struggled emotionally. I took my mother's advice and began writing about all I had been through. Just a journal at first, then a Tumblr blog. Eventually, I decided to tell my story in the form of a partially fictionalized memoir. One of the realizations that came from my self examination was that my problems with substance abuse and my sexuality were deeply entwined. That understanding led me to choose Literotica as a platform.

That series, My Fall and Rise, was received with extraordinary support from readers. I had not expected to write more, but the childhood delight in telling stories had fully returned. I kept writing, and by most accounts, got pretty good at it. I wrote a long epic romance, Mary and Alvin. I wrote an homage to all the women I had known when I was dancing in strip clubs, The Gold Dollar Girls. I was getting tremendous gratification from all of it.

But I realized that I had some unfinished business that needed attending.

Ramona. My first character, lost in limbo for all those years.

She was grown up now herself. Her adventures would be very different from those I conjured when I was eleven. But she is still smart and capable and brave.

I wonder what Mrs. Lawson would think of her now.

The Adventures of Ranger Ramona

Last edited:
I’ve read Ranger Ramona. Awesome story and character. She’s definitely an inspiration and part of my ficverse if you don’t mind. She ever wants to visit Garin-Ruiz (the resort on Lake Tahoe where my recurring original characters work and live in the 2020s), she’s welcome.

Characters I’ve featured recently were originally people I conceived when I got lonely in my college days. I didn’t have friends, so I imagined a few. Wasn’t much of a stretch to get them into a swinging network. :)

Haven’t read this. Just wanted to say to @StillStunned that these are a really good idea.

Emily
Thanks! It's nice to see so many Hangouters give their different takes too. There's so much depth and skill here that it seems selfish to keep it to ourselves.

And maybe one day these essays will be my legacy, and I won't forever be "Wasn't he the one that tried to make 2P POV a thing?"

It's been a long time since I read one of yours, and you have grown by leaps and bounds. That was really, really good. Characters are a huge area of strength for you, and this story is littered with bright, colorful, varied, characters. More than that, you gave them each a spark. They have a light.

I'm not sure how else to describe that.

What a lovely way to summarize your personal journey and the backstory of this work. I’ll read the story as soon as I’m able. It sounds fascinating.

You inspired me to think back to stories I wrote as a child, but I don’t remember having one constant character like that. I wonder where my blank books and spiral notebooks are. It would be interesting to resurrect one for my work here.

I’ve read Ranger Ramona. Awesome story and character. She’s definitely an inspiration and part of my ficverse if you don’t mind. She ever wants to visit Garin-Ruiz (the resort on Lake Tahoe where my recurring original characters work and live in the 2020s), she’s welcome.

Characters I’ve featured recently were originally people I conceived when I got lonely in my college days. I didn’t have friends, so I imagined a few. Wasn’t much of a stretch to get them into a swinging network. :)

Okay, but remember, she always keeps a canister of beer spray in her pocket.

It's been a long time since I read one of yours, and you have grown by leaps and bounds. That was really, really good. Characters are a huge area of strength for you, and this story is littered with bright, colorful, varied, characters. More than that, you gave them each a spark. They have a light.

I'm not sure how else to describe that.
This is what you were born to do (among other things).

Receiving those compliments from you feels earned. Thank you.

I can't advise on whether to share the actual stories with her, but if Mrs. Lawson is still alive I can almost guarantee that she'd be delighted to hear about the role writing has played in your life. That kind of thing is the reason people go into teaching.

I would imagine that many of us have a Mrs. Lawson in our past, whether we remember them or not.

What a lovely way to summarize your personal journey and the backstory of this work. I’ll read the story as soon as I’m able. It sounds fascinating.

You inspired me to think back to stories I wrote as a child, but I don’t remember having one constant character like that. I wonder where my blank books and spiral notebooks are. It would be interesting to resurrect one for my work here.

If I ever have a child, I am keeping everything.

If I ever have a child, I am keeping everything.
I'm the youngest of four. As Shappi Khorsandi says, "Not many pictures of you, are there?"

(Actually she says that of no. 3. No. 4 is "stick it in a bucket with some barbed wire to play with.")

(I got some of the details wrong, but the essence is the same:
)

Last edited:
Okay, but remember, she always keeps a canister of beer spray in her pocket.
Beer spray? To repeal those stampeding Rainiers I take it?

Okay, okay, I'll stop with the DA attempt at humor.

While I only know you here and through your stories, I'm with EB on this, get a publisher and write some stuff that will bring you fame and fortune. You have the mind, you have the talent, you have all the other things a really great mainstream author should have. Just do it. Besides, it will allow me, after you are famous, to use the old, "I knew her when". Seriously though, just do it. you'd have a lot of people 'round these parts cheering for you. Even some like me that you only know in passing.

Comshaw

Beer spray? To repeal those stampeding Rainiers I take it?

Okay, okay, I'll stop with the DA attempt at humor.

While I only know you here and through your stories, I'm with EB on this, get a publisher and write some stuff that will bring you fame and fortune. You have the mind, you have the talent, you have all the other things a really great mainstream author should have. Just do it. Besides, it will allow me, after you are famous, to use the old, "I knew her when". Seriously though, just do it. you'd have a lot of people 'round these parts cheering for you. Even some like me that you only know in passing.

Comshaw

I meant to say "bear spray", but Ramona would be good with either.

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Maybe that time will come.

I figured, but it was way too good a chance to throw out an attempt to get a laugh or a least a smile.

Comshaw

I don’t think she would need to worry about hostile bears while on vacation at my fictional resort, but if her creator disagrees, I’m not complaining. There are plenty of bad guys in my ficverse who might need a good spraying. Heh.

What a wonderful story this was. I felt for Ramona, and many of her musings were very relatable. I’m sorry your childhood stories were lost, but now you surely did Ramona justice by reviving her, or the grownup her that she’s become along your own growth.

Along the beautiful characters, I enjoyed the nature descriptions. I think I would’ve appreciated even some more detail to really get a feel for the land. I bet it’s not like in Northern Europe but close enough to feel homey.

In your travels across Maine did you ever visit one of the old sites of the red paint people? It would make a cool backdrop to any story about the back woods of Maine.

Ranger Ramona was really good. You won awards for some of the others but I loved the My fall and rise stories most. One of the best on Literotica.

Back