What I Wrote and Why: orgasms

My problem is, I sometimes use the Big O as a plot point of sorts, not just a scene climax.
Good point. I actually thought about addressing it in my first post, but I didn't want to muddy the waters by saying too much stuff at once.

I do think you're right that many (most, all?) of the things we're talking about in this thread:

A) Are only true when you want to make orgasm a climax of the scene. Which is the case often enough, given the naturally climatic nature of orgasms (especially for men), but certainly not always.

B) Are not really specific to orgasms. They could be applied to any event the author wanted to highlight. Sometimes when I'm writing sex it's a particular act I want to highlight, and I think I use basically the same hey-reader-slow-down-and-listen-up for that.

Well, a satisfying orgasm is a great way to leave a stroke story. When they're done, the reader's done, too.

For more elaborate stories, I like to dwell on the afterglow, even if it's the next morning when the MC remembers that climax.

My own observation is that when the story is written from the viewpoint of a male MC (whether or not the author is a man), the orgasm is the end of the scene or the story. But when the story is written from the viewpoint of a female MC (whether or not the author is a woman), the orgasm is usually followed by a meditation on the quality of the orgasm or the intimacy of the person she's with.

Back