What I Wrote and Why: My Chevy Van

Candy_Kane54

Missing my Muse...
When I wrote the story "No More Perfect Kisses," I wrote the origin story for Virginia, the MC of the 'Virginiaverse.' We see Virginia's first relationship with another woman, her roommate from her Senior year at college, Samantha "Sam" White. This relationship ends with graduation as both women have a career to pursue, and neither wants to give up their dream to be with the other. As Virginia pursues her career, she enters the Air Force as an officer, working on highly technical programs. As she works her first assignment at Kirtland AFB, she meets a woman named Glory when she stops at Denny's for dinner one night. Virginia finds herself attracted to Glory, but Glory, a wanderer, leaves three weeks later, and Virginia never sees her again.

Some readers were dismayed with the way Virginia and Sam went off in pursuit of their careers instead of maintaining their relationship. In response, I wrote a story about what happened to Sam after graduation since we already knew what happened to Virginia after graduation. As I was listening to the '70s on 7' channel on SiriusXM, the song "Chevy Van" by Sammy Johns played, giving me the idea for the story, which I titled "My Chevy Van."

The story takes place four years after graduation as Sam is making a dramatic change in her life, traveling across the country to a new start in Northridge, CA. Sam is driving across the desert southwest in a van she inherited from her father after her parents died in an automobile accident. Sam is driving across the desert southwest, taking the opportunity to see the country while heading to her new job. We learn from Sam's reminiscing that she misses Virginia terribly and occasionally still thinks about her. As Sam drives through Albuquerque on I-40, little does she know that Virginia is at Kirtland AFB, less than three miles south of I-40.

Sam stops at the west end of Albuquerque for gas and dinner at Denny's. She meets an intriguing woman leaving Denny's as Sam is entering. Sam is attracted to the woman, and it takes her a few minutes to get over the brief encounter. As she's eating, she looks out the window and sees the woman standing by the road, trying to hitch a ride. When Sam finishes eating and leaves Denny's, she sees the woman is still looking for a ride. Sam decides to stop and see if the woman wants a ride with her. She stops, and the woman, who introduces herself as Gloria "Glory" Granger, immediately agrees to head west with Sam, not seeming to have a specific destination in mind.

Sam heads west on I-40 but has to stop because an accident has I-40 completely blocked. While stuck on the highway, the two exchange their life stories with each other, and the sexual attraction ramps up. Glory is exhausted but is comfortable enough with Sam to fall asleep. Sam decides to get off the highway and park off the side of the road, deciding to spend the night there rather than trying to get to Grants, NM. When Glory wakes up, things heat up. After a session of hot sex, they both fall into an exhausted sleep and wake in the morning when things heat up again.

Finally, Sam gets the van back on the highway and heads west. While traveling across New Mexico and Arizona, Sam realizes she's falling in love with Glory. However, their lifestyles are so different that Sam knows it will never work out, so whenever Glory decides to stay somewhere, Sam decides just to let her go. Finally, when they stop for dinner in Flagstaff, AZ, Glory decides to stay there, so Sam leaves, heading on to California with the memories of Glory to sustain her.

In short, this story is about a one-night stand where two people fall in love at first sight but go their separate ways the next day.

As I wrote this story, I liked the development of Sam's character, so I plotted out three more stories to cover Sam's story and how she eventually ends up with Glory. As it turned out, my readers also wanted to see more of Sam and Glory. I decided to do it in four stand-alone stories, of which "My Chevy Van" would be the first. I decided to do it in the format of a classical four-movement symphony and plan to name the finished series "Opus 17 in D Minor" as a tribute to the "Four Seasons" who released their seventeenth single with the title "Opus 17 (Don't You Worry About Me)."

That's an ambitious agenda. (Says the person who plotted out a 36 chapter series)

Back