Bible quotes in fiction writing

When writing out Bible quotes, I know the ideal is, "2 Peter" and writing that number as a number. However, I'm second guessing myself. When it comes to fiction writing, would I still write the number?"

Here's what I've written:

A metal church sat in the countryside of a rural mountain town. Down a few splintering dirt roads, it sat there with its sign saying, "For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit - 2 Peter."

Two Peter doesn't look right, but I figured I would ask and let you fine folks tell me what's what.

There's that strange rule that numbers from zero to nine should be spelled out, and ten and above should be written numerically.

My tip, as a professional editor with 20+ years' experience: do what you want, as long as its a) consistent and b) clear. If I'm editing a business report, I'll use numerals throughout. And in particular if numbers below and above ten are presented in close proximity.

For Biblical texts, though, the convention is always to use numerals to refer to the books and verses. So you're covered.

Last edited:
In the context you give, it could be rendered as it is. It's how somebody decided to render it on a sign.

If given as a quote within the narration, the "2 Peter" should be rendered parenthetically, and not included in the quote marks:

I was reminded of the passage in the Bible, "For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit" (2 Peter).

The citation "2 Peter" is correct. (Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition, 10.50)

When writing out Bible quotes, I know the ideal is, "2 Peter" and writing that number as a number. However, I'm second guessing myself. When it comes to fiction writing, would I still write the number?"

Two Peter doesn't look right, but I figured I would ask and let you fine folks tell me what's what.
If you were quoting as you were, 2 Peter would be correct, and would it be in citing. If I were using it in dialog, I would refer to it as "Second Peter," as most people wouldn't call it just 2 Peter.

I think I need more information to understand what you are asking and what you need.

In fiction, the only situation where I can imagine you need a citation is either in a) a reference to a sign, as you have indicated, or b) something that one of your characters says.

You're not going to put a citation in narrative text.

A sign almost certainly would say "2 Peter" because in signage there is a strong incentive to condense. The question you should be asking is, "What would a Church do on a sign in that instance?" not "What does the Chicago Manual of Style recommend?"

In dialogue, you should write it however is most consistent with the way a character actually would speak. I'd use the numeral 2 rather than spelling it out. But only include a citation if we have reason to believe that your character is sufficiently knowledgeable about what the citation is.

I would go with 2 Peter because itā€™s being directly quoted on the church sign. If the quote appeared in conversation, just Peter, I think, would suffice. (Fortunately, you didn't include the verse, because then you would have to decide on whether to use Roman numerals or Arabic.)

I would go with 2 Peter because itā€™s being directly quoted on the church sign. If the quote appeared in conversation, just Peter, I think, would suffice. (Fortunately, you didn't include the verse, because then you would have to decide on whether to use Roman numerals or Arabic.)

In conversation it would be Second Peter. The exception being if they are Scottish Rite or a handful of other denominations that say "two Peter".
Otherwise it's like referring to the Godfather Part 2 as just "the Godfather", you are missing an important distinction, you are referring to completely different books.

If you wanted to be clear to people who don't recognise Peter immediately as a Biblical book, then you could clarify afterwards that it's from "the Second Book of Peter, in the Old Testament". Citing it as "2 Peter 1:21" would make it more obviously a Bible quote.

CofE and Methodists and URCs say Two Peter IME - I'm not sure I've ever heard Second Whatever, even from Catholics. May be regional?

In conversation it would be Second Peter. The exception being if they are Scottish Rite or a handful of other denominations that say "two Peter".
Otherwise it's like referring to the Godfather Part 2 as just "the Godfather", you are missing an important distinction, you are referring to completely different books.
Youā€™re right. I was thinking of a rather informal conversation, such as where one might quote Shakespeare and not cite the play.

If you wanted to be clear to people who don't recognise Peter immediately as a Biblical book, then you could clarify afterwards that it's from "the Second Book of Peter, in the Old Testament". Citing it as "2 Peter 1:21" would make it more obviously a Bible quote.

CofE and Methodists and URCs say Two Peter IME - I'm not sure I've ever heard Second Whatever, even from Catholics. May be regional?

Probably regional, in the US it's almost always Second whatever, with a small minority going with Two whatever.

I have no intention of being the "ummm acktually šŸ¤“" gal, but 2 Peter is in the New Testament šŸ˜œ

Just to give my two cents, I would definitely write it "2 Peter 1:21 (ESV)"

I feel like the majority of church signs would do similarly.

Most times that we quote specific verses, we include the chapter and verse number for reference. Puting in "ESV" to denote it as English Standard Version isn't necessary, but it is common, and makes the writing look more like an official sign text.

That said, many rural towns still seem to prefer the KJV version of scripture, but sometimes that could be harder for a casual reader to understand, so YMMV.

The full title of the book is "Second Epistle of Peter" and is abbreviated in lists and references as 2 Peter as said so that would be correct in this case. If spoken in a sermon, address, or conversation in the US it is usually called either "the Second Epistle of Peter" or as Kelliez said just "Second Peter."

For me, it'd depend on if somebody is saying it or not. Back when I was a christian, the pastor would've said; "second Peter, first line(?), verse twenty-one(?)..." Personally I always spell out numbers.

I dealt with this issue in a story I wrote a year ago, Mama Told Me Not To Come, in which a seemingly God-fearing Christian woman seduced her son, quoting scripture several times while she was doing so. The citations were part of dialogue, and here are examples of how I handled it:

"But in some ways," Mama said, "Papa has not fulfilled his duties. Jubal, are you familiar with the first book of Corinthians, chapter 7?"

"I've read the Bible, Mama, but I can't say as I specifically recall that part of it."

"It says," she said, "in verses 3 and 4, that 'the husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband.' So you see, Jubal, that while outside the bond of matrimony, sexual relations between a man and woman are a sin, within that bond, they are a duty. Does that make sense to you?"

"Each of you must love his wife as he loves himself," Mama murmured while looking at my lap. She looked up at my face. "Ephesians 5:33, Jubal."

"Yes, Ma'am."

Mama looked back at me, serenely.

"The Lord does not let the righteous go hungry," she said. "Proverbs 10:3."

I knew that one.

"But Mama, doesn't it also say, 'He thwarts the craving of the wicked?'"

Mama looked at me for a long time before answering, but her expression of serenity and self-certainty didn't go away. She scooted closer to me.

"Jubal," she said, taking my cock in her slender and eager hand. "Don't overthink this."

Back