Beginner tips for a virgin writer?

Yes, I am filthy virgin scum. And yet I have the audacity to finally make a Literotica account to tiptoe toward writing a sex story myself.

For those of you who haven't already stopped reading, put me on your 'ignore' list, and left, I could use some help. Sexual literature is my way of relieving these godforsaken feelings of mine, but I don't want to just crank out something low-quality and so inaccurate it's offensive. Besides, I've been dabbling in the Literotica rules posts and agreements and apparently a story that's too inaccurate and low quality can outright get me banned. Not what I want, especially just after making an account.

What are some beginner things I should know about what sex is like, especially pertaining to Literotica's standards? I have a lot of questions and it's tough to narrow it down.

first question to ask yourself is this.

what target audience do you want to go for? all males? all females? or a mixture of both?

once you have your target audience, take a few minutes and look at yourself in the mirror then ask your reflection. the stories I read, do they inspire me? the type of stories I read, is that the kinda stories I wanna write?

then ask your second question. what category do I enjoy the most, group? taboo? romantic? etc?

once that is answered, lay down in bed or couch and empty your mind, think about what you have read and let your imagination run. It will usually come up with something and if it sticks with you or is interesting to you, write it.

if you want, write down the basics, an outline of what your dreamed or imagined.

who is the Mc? is it male or female? trans? or no sex alien?

who are the companions to this person, what are they good at, what can they do for the MC, are they friends or what? after that, think of the setting. Is it sci fi with starships? fantasy land with dragons and elves, is it modern day or back in the past. the setting will be very important.

love interests, is your MC gay, bi, straight? will he fall for his companions or will it be someone in the story? some NPC?

biggest thing I can tell you is this. when you write a situation in for your MC. ask yourself how would YOU react? how would YOU feel? describe the situation, the emotions going thru him\her\it and their companions.

writing is a pain sometimes, but it can be a great release.

my first story, i wrote about a guy who rescues a woman and falls for her after a while. then I just acted like I would with dating her, coffee dates, etc. go from there. one of the perks of writing your own stories is you can make them how you want. react how you want.

"Let thy imagination free, so it may run wild with thought and expression. Let it roam the wastes of the mind, or the forests of the heart. for when imagination runs free, great and wonderous things can be accomplished."

apparently a story that's too inaccurate and low quality can outright get me banned
What in the world are you talking about?

Have you read some of these stories?

Where did you see this stated?

Anyway, to answer your actual question, there's basically no way to pop the cherry but to just start writing. Once you're done, re-read it and see if it needs revision. Once you feel like you're done with it and it's as good as it's going to get, publish it. Give it a good, catchy title and a good, informative description and accurate tags so that people will have an idea what to expect and will want to read it.

Last edited:
Read it over as you write it and think about it realistically, edit if necessary. It’s good to be your own harshest critic sometimes.

Besides, I've been dabbling in the Literotica rules posts and agreements and apparently a story that's too inaccurate and low quality can outright get me banned. Not what I want, especially just after making an account.
Don't know where you've got that idea from. Slammed, maybe, but you won't get banned for writing low quality content.

What are some beginner things I should know about what sex is like, especially pertaining to Literotica's standards?
Surely you know enough about sex to get the fundamentals right?

Read stories, if you want to get an idea of the standards around here - there's a huge spectrum of quality.

I have a lot of questions and it's tough to narrow it down.
Beginners 101:

Spelling, punctuation, grammar - get those fundamentals right, so you can tell a story competently.

Don't measure yourself against bad writing, don't set yourself a low bar. Find and use capable writers as a benchmark, and aim high. Learn to recognise good writing, and understand why it works.

Ask your questions. We're not mind-readers, and we don't know what experience you've got.

This is my opinion only and what I do.

Write only for yourself.
Never write to please anybody.
You are going to fuck up. Embrace and accept it. No story is perfect.
If you have an idea, whether it's at the grocery store, at work, etc, etc, immediately write a paragraph about how you want it to go.
Don't be afraid to ask questions here. There are some wonderful people here in Authors Hangout, and they're willing to help.

Good luck and have fun.

SD.

This is my opinion only and what I do.

Write only for yourself.
Never write to please anybody.
You are going to fuck up. Embrace and accept it. No story is perfect.
If you have an idea, whether it's at the grocery store, at work, etc, etc, immediately write a paragraph about how you want it to go.
Don't be afraid to ask questions here. There are some wonderful people here in Authors Hangout, and they're willing to help.

Good luck and have fun.

SD.
encapsulated.

And one piece of practical advice: Start small. Focus on writing a few scenes you feel good about. No need to get overly ambitious about characters and plot on your first try

Don't use AI.

Don't write in a "business style": a story is more than a series of facts and causes and effects. Write your dialogue like people would actually speak.

Describe what's going on in your characters' minds. When those facts, causes and effects occur, how does your character feel, thing, act - in that order?

Don't head-jump: stay with a single point of view for each scene. Some writers try to get round "show, don't tell" by describing how another character sees your main character react. Don't, unless you've switched to a new scene.

Make full use of language. I don't mean dig out a thesaurus, or use big words to sound clever. Just use everyday vocabulary, but consider how each word sounds. If someone's angry, they might hiss their words using multiple sibbilants, or spit out a series of plosives. If the scene is dark and gloomy, use -oo- sounds. Find the rhythm of the sentence and the paragraph.

Keep your paragraphs short: people read on small screens nowadays. I find 70-90 words is usually a good length.

Each paragraph should ideally be a self-contained unit. The sentences show flow logically from one to the next, like dialogue or a camera panning around a scene. Your sentences should draw the reader forward, not send them back and forth.

And finally, when you're done, use a Read Aloud funtion to read your story back to you. Watch the highloght skip from word to word. This will weed out most of your typos and clunky sentences.

Most of all, though, have fun writing your story.

Good luck!

My biggest advice is this: the perfectionist inside you is the Devil.

If you are writing, you are improving. So write! Try not to be too critical of yourself. When you start drilling yourself to write every word perfectly it'll become so much harder, and when you're less passionate it'll show on the page.

('the perfectionist inside you' sounds like it could be a story title on this site, something erotic to do with a creative field maybe)

My advice would include:

Learn from others' efforts. Find stories that resonate with you and explore them deeper than simply the story itself. Who tells the story? Were they believable? Was the setting appropriate and realistic? What worked for you as a reader who enjoyed the story likely worked for others. Emulating what you learned from another writer is a tribute to them, as long as you don't get lazy and actually plagiarize. Definitely write what YOU want to write, but learn how to do that from others.

If you want to approach your "deflowering" with a bit more understanding of the literary skills involved in writing a story, I have posted a brief "How-To" that lists the most common elements and devices utilized by writers here. You might want to review this first so that you gain an appreciation for how others employ them in their writing.

So, you figure out what you want to write and who is going to be telling the story (point of view/perspective). Getting their words from your mind to your fingers and onto a page will likely be your next hurdle. A quick internet search for "speech to text" will identify several online resources for transcribing your spoken words into text that you can then edit. Applications such as Microsoft Word frequently have this feature as well, so get it set up, close your eyes, and then tell your story with your voice first.

As others have suggested; start small.

I'll add; be patient. Don't rush to post something until you are ready. Ask others to provide you with feedback, either here or through trusted acquaintances.

One last piece of advice:

While this site is popular with those seeking sexual arousal, both as writers and readers, graphic sexual content is not a requirement for a story to be successful here. Don't be brow-beaten into believing that your story has to contain anything that you aren't ready to write about. Learn to develop characters, setting, themes, and the structure of a story before worrying about getting someone "off".

I can say things I wish I knew from the beginning: be subtle; be reasonable; don't be a perfectionist; show-not-tell actually helps; edge the reader with a proper introduction; don't finish the story too soon; choose a good title; don't continue stories unless you have to; and most importantly: edit - wait a few days before you edit.

Decide what your priority in writing the story is.

Is it just the sex? Two or more people getting it on? That's fine, just make sure the sex is hot, and maybe just a little emotional.

Do you actually want plot? Characters? To tell a story?

Think about who theses people are, why they wanna fuck, and what's keeping them from doing so.

To me, characters make or break a story. If I don't like, or don't care about your characters, I don't give a shit what they do or what happens to them.

Well that's the theme you should start with: Lose your filthy masochistic cherry with a story about a filthy virgin scum.

Oh, and, as others have posted,

READ.
Read a lot but mostly not what's on here. Nobody has a formula; everybody does it differently. I've actually apologized here because I've read so little of what the other writers on Lit are doing. (Sorry guys!)

What in the world are you talking about?

Have you read some of these stories?

Where did you see this stated?

Anyway, to answer your actual question, there's basically no way to pop the cherry but to just start writing. Once you're done, re-read it and see if it needs revision. Once you feel like you're done with it and it's as good as it's going to get, publish it. Give it a good, catchy title and a good, catchy description and accurate tags so that people will have an idea what to expect and will want to read it.
I think but I can't confirm that bad grammar and spelling can get a story rejected here. It happened to me on another site, and it wasn't that bad (I think!) They told me to get Grammarly or some other program of that type so I did. Some other people on here can tell you what program they prefer.

I'd say to pick a category you like, then go read some stories there to get a feel for how others do it to help kickstart your own muse.

Just some little ideas about getting started…

First of all, while some people think about the audience and category first, not all do. I don’t, unless an idea I have is obviously category-aligned.

If you have never written before, then start very small. Think of just a character. Who are they? How old? What do they do (college, work, what type of work)? What do they look like? Is there anything else about them (they are really into k pop, they love basketball, they are socially awkward…).

Write a paragraph about them. I know this is what many would call an info dump and bad style, but this is not necessarily for publishing. Re-read your paragraph. Maybe add a second. What does this person want in life (to graduate, to get a job, to meet sone one)? Do they have any hang ups that get in the way of this?

Write some more about that.

Now this is a sex story. What is their orientation? How experienced are they? Do they have a partner? Are they after hook ups or romance? Do the have any kinks?

Write some more about that.

Now, what situation could you put them in? A new job. Staying at a hotel with a colleague in the next room. Going to the beach with friends including someone they like.

So now we have introduced some other people. Try writing a bit about ones who might be important, like you did above.

Now you have a few characters. Back to the situation. How does your main character feel about it? What are they going to do? How about your other characters? If there is a specific event, how will they all react.

Write some more.

You’re beginning to have some background material. This will be useful.

What do people do with each other? No, not that. Well that as well, but later. They talk, right. Try to write some dialog. How does it sound? Like real people, or kinda stilted?

All this is just warming up. You’ve got some characters and some things they might do. Try to write maybe 500 words about them. Doesn’t have to be the start of a story, could be a middle bit. But include a bit about who they are, what they feel, what is happening, how they react, what they say to each other.

Re-read it. What’s good, what’s bad? What can you improve? Try fixing a few things. Then maybe try another 500 words. None of this has to be going anywhere. You’re just playing about. But you might suddenly get caught up and feel like writing more.

Or not. In which case, maybe think of a different situation, or some different characters. Rinse and repeat.

Good luck. There is no real formula.

Emily

What are some beginner things I should know about what sex is like
I think I'm starting to get the picture. When you said you're a virgin, at first I actually thought you meant a "Lit story publishing virgin," not a person who hasn't ever had sex.

My mistake.

I don't think this has to be any kind of obstacle. You know how it works, you know the body parts, you know where things go and the different things people can do with them. Right?

Writing about those is the easy part. I don't doubt for a moment that you can use your imagination and "get it right" just as far as how sex works and what it's probably like goes.

The hard part of making an interesting story is framing the sex in a human interaction between two people. If you don't know much about interpersonal behavior and interpersonal feelings, you can still write a purely situational meet-and-fuck encounter. God knows there's enough of that getting published all the time around here.

Better stories include people's thoughts and feelings about interacting with each other. In a lot of ways, people's thoughts and feelings about their sex experiences aren't that different from everything else people feel and think, so, you can use what you do know about people liking each other and getting close to each other, and layer that onto the sexual encounter.

I think but I can't confirm that bad grammar and spelling can get a story rejected here. It happened to me on another site, and it wasn't that bad (I think!) They told me to get Grammarly or some other program of that type so I did. Some other people on here can tell you what program they prefer.
That's radically different from being "banned."

What are some beginner things I should know about what sex is like, especially pertaining to Literotica's standards?
Start with reading a lot of stuff here. You'll quickly find that your own standards are way above the minimum standards here (because those are so low that no self-respecting person can settle for them), but also that the standards for really successful stuff are fairly high. But you'll get a feel for what works around here and what people are looking for

That said, if you've got something you want to write, write it, clean it up to the best of your ability, and post it. Fear of failure or of looking silly is the biggest impediment to good writing. And I'm in the camp that if you try to write what other people want to read, you'll tie yourself in knots and not enjoy it much. If you write what you want to read, you will, at minimum, enjoy it, and quite likely find that there are other people who like to read what you like to read, and thus what you write.

Appealing to the masses is the wrong way to look at it. Finding those among the masses to whom you naturally appeal is a better approach. Then, when you get used to just doing it at all, you might decide to try to make your writing more broadly appealing, or you might not.

I'd probably say to write what you like to read. If your work turns you on, what more validation is necessary for what you're doing. Write the story without worry about the mechanics of the sentence structure first. Just rush through. Go back, read it through, then improve structure. Go back a second time and see if it needs more here and there, and add that. Find a good beta reader and let them go through it. Find a proofreader or an editor and let them work on it. But be the final arbiter of you work, don't let them take your voice and make it there voice. Grammar doesn't need to be perfect, mistakes will get through, don't sweat that. As long as people in enjoy read it, and you have written what you want the way you want, be happy about it.

If this has been given before, my bad

Stories will be rejected for technical reasons (mostly punctuation and spelling), but no-one has been banned for that, that I've ever seen. The OP spoke about "getting banned", which is a different thing entirely.

Write a story you'd enjoy reading.

That's the beginning and end of my advice. Good luck! Don't feel shy about submitting a story. Ideally, it should amuse and titillate you. If it does? It'll do fine here.

Back