Beginner tips for a virgin writer?

Stories will be rejected for technical reasons (mostly punctuation and spelling), but no-one has been banned for that, that I've ever seen. The OP spoke about "getting banned", which is a different thing entirely.
Yes, I addressed that issue in the comment above.

Yes, I am filthy virgin scum. And yet I have the audacity to finally make a Literotica account to tiptoe toward writing a sex story myself.

For those of you who haven't already stopped reading, put me on your 'ignore' list, and left, I could use some help. Sexual literature is my way of relieving these godforsaken feelings of mine, but I don't want to just crank out something low-quality and so inaccurate it's offensive. Besides, I've been dabbling in the Literotica rules posts and agreements and apparently a story that's too inaccurate and low quality can outright get me banned. Not what I want, especially just after making an account.

What are some beginner things I should know about what sex is like, especially pertaining to Literotica's standards? I have a lot of questions and it's tough to narrow it down.
I thought of a couple of hints that might be useful. This is not directly about your questions above, but it's still worth considering.

One is to jot down any ideas you have before you forget them. You can have a word processing document for each story, and put them on there. That works for each chapter of a series too.

These don't have to be in perfect chronological order, but if you do that you'll have an outline (probably) of where you want to go. Bits of proposed dialogue can be there too.

You can even start the text of the story at the top of the notes in the same document. Then you can remove the notes or copy the text for the story as it nears completion. I'll have some suggestions about grammar tomorrow.

Just a thought if the OP is asking about writing sex stories if they are a virgin in the sexual/phyisical sense: there's a Toys & Masturbation category.

Just a thought if the OP is asking about writing sex stories if they are a virgin in the sexual/phyisical sense: there's a Toys & Masturbation category.
I missed that completely on my first read of the OP, that their practical experience might match their novice writer status. I do hope we've not frightened them off - they've only posted the once.

I missed that completely on my first read of the OP, that their practical experience might match their novice writer status. I do hope we've not frightened them off - they've only posted the once.
Their last post was in Politics. If anything frightened them off, it was probably the people there.

I really doubt you have to worry about getting banned unless you're spamming creepy fanfics of you and Laurel. But if you want to improve your writing, the best way is to learn how to give a really good critique on other people's writing.

I don't want to link any sites in here, but I can PM a few good ones to you if you're interested. Ideally, you'll join a big writing group on some site then after you get settled in and learn how to do it, you splinter off with some people who you get on with well---4-6 seems to be the sweet spot---and swap stories for critique with them one a week or so.

The feedback from readers on here is a bit of a struggle, but you can't improve in a vacuum. The goal is to give and ask for impressions, not prescriptions.

It's really important to practice writing, but it's more important to know what to look for.

If you just want to vent and take a casual approach, forget all that and just write conversationally. Write like you're telling a story to your friends. Even filler words are better then stiff prose. It's all about controlling that flow and pacing.

And while you can really improve your writing with flowery prose here and there and the right big word, you can also really muck it up even faster. Better to have a dozen repetitive small words than one weird thesaurus word that really sticks out.

Just focus on being entertaining. That's all that matters. Readers don't give a shit about technical ability.

Forgot to add: Maybe shoot for 5-10k wordcount at first. Contrary to how it seems, short stories under that are very difficult to write well. Every word becomes even more important.

And the real story comes out in the editing. First drafts are always rough.

Last edited:
Back