Sub-headings for/against?

Writer61

Englishman abroad
I wonder what you think about sub-headings in relatively short (5k-ish) stories.

When I am writing (usually in Word) they help me structure my thoughts and navigate around. Sometimes I use puns or phrases from famous works, which may or may not amuse/mean anything to a reader. They could be removed in the final edit, but I find myself reluctant to do so.

How do you separate scenes? By words alone, with a tilde, or something else?

Nothing wrong in subheadings if they help your readers,if they help you only when writing,you can remove them while editing

I can't imagine why anyone would object to such a thing. But history suggests that someone will shortly be along to declare that they're allergic to them and immediately stop reading when encountered. Even odds that they automatically award a one-vote as part of their anaphylactic reaction.

I'm allergic to them. I'll stop reading as soon as I encounter them. Mostly I'll give 1 star, just because.

More seriously, though, do what you want. There's room for all formats of stories here. It would a sad thing if we lost the variety, just because writers want to play it safe.

The shortest story I've divided into sections was 10k words. But I've divided a 19k word story into three sections plus prologue and epilogue, and it's my highest rated story.

ETA: I just realised that I've used === or *** to indicate a new POV or a a break in time in stories of 6-7k or so.

Last edited:
If the story needs it, it needs it. I've even gone a paragraph between breaks before. Makes for an easy montage. Webnovel formatting's great because you have unlimited space.

Im in the "***********" camp, though. A meta quote in the middle of a story might be jarring.

Whether a reader likes it or not is irrelevant to me. It lets me control the pacing while keeping the story going at a good clip. I'm all about that minimal transitive filler.

I use separators as well, primarily as scene breaks.

Subheads in fiction? I've seen it as a style, although usually starting a chapter with a subhead as a callout. Mostly in humor where some pithy quote sets the tone for the following material.

Subheading? Like a subtitle? I only use those on articles. As far as a scene change, or whatever, I prefer just a simple double space, but since some sites will stupidly remove those, I'll use two dashes, or a line break.

I can't imagine why anyone would object to such a thing. But history suggests that someone will shortly be along to declare that they're allergic to them and immediately stop reading when encountered. Even odds that they automatically award a one-vote as part of their anaphylactic reaction.
Anaphylactic is a niece word so you didn't have to use allergic again. So, yeah, I use different techniques according to - whim, whatever, if I use them at all. Sometimes subheads consist entirely of quotes from various sources. How about some self-promotion? All of the subheads here are from someplace else. Anybody care to figure out what each one is?

https://classic.literotica.com/s/the-battle-of-the-crater

I don't like the subheadings that go "John's POV:" "Jane's POV:" or *jane's thoughts* - but if it's an actual heading that doesn't just state what should be obvious, go for it.

I think I've only used 'Part 1' and 2 and 3 for a story where parts 1 and 2 were short and not worth making into chapters on their own. (Third Time Getting Lucky - a First Time story where the first two times don't involve penetrative sex or a relationship).

When they are beneficial to the story, I definitely use subheadings.

In my story, Heavy Traffic, I sub-headed each chapter with a famous quote that held relevance to the scenes contained within the particular chapter. In other stories, a subheading may be the date, especially when the story spans months, years, or generations.

My most common indicator for a section break in a story is ~~~, but I have also used *** if asterisks are not used otherwise in the same story for another purpose (mathematical expression, etc.).

Last edited:
I use asterisks and notes

From the Journal of the Arrogant Detective

The Westside Market 3 Days Later

Or some other bullshit to aid the reader.

My most common indicator for a section break in a story is ~~~, but I have also used *** if asterisks are not used otherwise in the same story for another purpose (mathematical expression, etc.).

I had to go check what section breaks I’ve used because it’s been a while. 😄

I seem to be in the == camp.

==

Looks tidy.

==

Yeah.

----- is what I use for breaks in the continuity.

When I (rarely) have a POV change, I merely write the name and not "Joe Bob Jimgleheimerschmitz' POV"

In third person, I don't identify the point of view switches. It isn't necessary, you can tell that by who the paragraph is about and who would be seeing it. A lot of thrid person is the point of view of the unsee almost omniscient narrator.

That's harsh.
This reads as excessively harsh too. If you're playing along with the obvious joke, it's not coming across. Did you see the post immediately above the one you quoted? Or the part you didn't quote, where he established the joking tone by saying "More seriously..." ? Not flaming, just asking.

This reads as excessively harsh too. If you're playing along with the obvious joke, it's not coming across. Did you see the post immediately above the one you quoted? Or the part you didn't quote, where he established the joking tone by saying "More seriously..." ? Not flaming, just asking.
I interpreted both posts as being tongue-in-cheek.

I am on team:

--- 1 ---

--- 2 ---

--- 3 ---

Fear my numerical strength!

I was playing along. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

Edit: have been thinking about this, "Harsh" is a jokey comment in my family used when others say something entirely reasonable (there's a backstory). No reason for others to get it. My bad.

Last edited:
Back