ABSTRUSIONS: A Bohemian hangout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, now that I have a few minutes to sit down...

Morning Cloudy, Colly, everyone.

Anyone working here today or is it self-serve?

cloudy said:
I can sympathize - I've had food-poisoning before, and I think I can honestly say that's the sickest I have ever, ever been. And it seems to take forever to get over.

Just take it easy, doll, and sip your broth....

:kiss:

Thanks hun :)

I am not really able to do much, even typing is draining.

-Colly

Topic of the day:

Who's your favorite auther and why?
What genre do you prefer to read and why?

I'm in and out today.....self serve, don't make a mess and I better see some answers to today's topic.

Oh.....Hi everyone!!!!

~A~:cool:

I'm sooooo disappointed!

Where's smartass Charley? hmmmm?

Must I do everything around here????????

I guess so, it's my Cafe".

Honey123 said:
Mother Goose...

She always quackes me up...

honey....

sweetie....

GROAN

but it did make me grin... so there was a redeeming quality to it.:kiss:

ABSTRUSE said:
Topic of the day:

I'm in and out today.....self serve, don't make a mess and I better see some answers to today's topic.

Oh.....Hi everyone!!!!

~A~:cool:

'Ello!

Who's your favorite author and why?

I have a few, but I'll narrow it down to two. Richard Laymon for novels... Fast paced, high octane, extremely sexy and perverted horror. :D

Wrath James White for shorts... sexual depravity and full on horror. :devil:

Horror and the sub-genre, Erotic Horror. I'm a thrill-seeker and risk-taker, so the stuff I read has to provide me with this, for the most part.

Lou

:kiss:

vella_ms said:
honey....

sweetie....

GROAN

but it did make me grin... so there was a redeeming quality to it.:kiss:

I'm sorry....:)

I had to say it...

Ian Fleming -- I love reading those James Bond books..

But I haven't read much lately...

Stephen King; Sue Grafton;

I enjoy reading mysteries. When I was younger, Harlequin Romances, Barbara Cartland stories...

my fav author.. thats so hard to choose.. so ill have to go with the author that i read time and again..

Anne Rice. i have read everything she has written and even have one of the scripts from interview with a vampire signed by the cast. no mean feat, getting that!

one of her story lines that made a huge change in my life was the
Erotic Adventures of Sleeping Beauty.
she wrote these under the name of A.N. Roquelaure.
If i had never read that series, i wouldnt be the person i am today.

I love Margaret Atwood ( yes, I know, she's Canadian). I love her endings in that they always leave you questioning what goes on after, do the characters find what they are looking for, etc.

I also love Amy Tan. She has a great way of showing us no matter what your nationality, all families are pretty much alike.

I find fiction my most favorite, though I do love biographies, horror,( Clive Barker), anything that has a different spin on a subject.

I must confess, I've just started reading the Harry Potter's.

I'm into Peter Ackroyd at the moment, historical short novels largely set in and around Clerkenwell in London weaving actual and fictional events.

It is Ackroyd's writing that is to a degree responsible for my latest Lit. offering (not up yet).

I have a tendency to 'lock-on' to a writer and read their entire output before moving on.

I'm also wading through 'Europe - a history' by Norman Davies.

I put the history related choice down to advancing years and figure if I read enough my name might crop up somewhere.

Someone gave me "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time" by Mark Haddon. This is a very unusual read dealing with autism. Recommended.

Favorites...

Let see... Hmmm...

Most of what I read currently (when I can find time, which isn't often) is either Sci-Fi, Fantasy and some general fiction with some non-fiction thrown in.

Just finished "The Endurance" by Caroline Alexander, relating to Shackletons not-so-successful expidition to the south pole. Not exactly great literature but interesting enough.

Terry Goodkind and Larry Niven are pretty high on the list as well as Stephen King (although his new stuff does not interest me as much as his older works).

But one of my all time favorites is Douglas Adams. Hichikers Guide is a must read but don't miss the "Dirk Gently" books as well.

I hate to admit this but I also have developed a fondness for Clive Cussler novels, ie: the "Dirk Pitt" novels. Complete trash really but you can burn thru one in an afternoon and there actually quite entertaining.

Neil Gaiman - because he posesses unashamed imagination, pitch black and razor sharp but compassionate humor and because he geniunely loves real good old fairy tales.

I'm a big sucker for the right kind of mind boggling science fiction, the kind that borders on the big existential questions. Peter Nilsson's 'Nyaga', Tad William's 'Otherland' and Carl Sagan's 'Contact' (the movie is missing the essential elements) are some examples up that alley. It's nice to see that I'm not alone in my insanity when my head starts to spin off really weird 'what if'-scenatios. :)

But basically, I'll devour anything you put in my hands.

#L

Re: Favorites...

cheerful_deviant said:
But one of my all time favorites is Douglas Adams. Hichikers Guide is a must read but don't miss the "Dirk Gently" books as well.
If you haven't already, and have a flair for Adams and non-fiction, read 'Last Chance To See'. It exceeds anything else he's written. And it's all true.

#L

Re: Re: Favorites...

Liar said:
If you haven't already, and have a flair for Adams and non-fiction, read 'Last Chance To See'. It exceeds anything else he's written. And it's all true.

#L

Just ordered it from Barns&Nobel.com (God, that store makes it too easy).

I'll give it a read, Thanks.

CD

Anyone got a pina colada or a mudslide handy? I need a drink and that's about as heavy as I can get.

ABSTRUSE said:
It's never too early for cocktails!:D

Let me guess....Sex on the Beach?:cool:

Sure hon, sex on the beach, a tossed salad and can someone play a rusty trombone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back