Thoughts: Love you vs. I love you

whatif53

Virgin
First attempt at starting a thread. So, here it is:
Any meaningful difference between the two phrases "I love you." and "Love you."?
Of course, I'm thinking when the phrase is uttered by someone close to you.

Any meaningful difference between the two phrases "I love you." and "Love you."?

So much difference.

Your first attempt was not very successful... How on Earth does this belong to personals?

Your first attempt was not very successful... How on Earth does this belong to personals?

I thought the purpose of this group was to meet folks and establish relationships. What better way to do that than to ask a question that has meaning to me? For instance I had a response from LostGirlTink. She seemed to think there is a substantial difference. But how much stock should I put in the answer of a perfect stranger, if she should choose to share more? I saw she had a Tumbler page, went through it, and find that she appears to be a very bright and thoughtful person - someone whose opinion I believe would be worth considering. Then perhaps I have made a personal connection with someone?

So I goofed - maybe - on my first outing. Please be so kind as to guide me to the correct place to have posted such a question.

And thanks for your response as well. Could it be the start of beautiful relationship? :)

the admins will move it for you. your wrong will be righted.

my answer is no.

theres a difference though between loving someone and being in love with someone .

my answer is no.

theres a difference though between loving someone and being in love with someone .

Ah see I see that as the difference.
I say love you to people I care about, care for, have friendships with.
I say I love you to those I love deeply, family, and those I am in love with.

The two are certainly distinctive to me.
Your mileage may vary.

my answer is no.

I love it when wrongs are righted.

Thanks for the reply. So now we have both ends of the rope with the first two responses. Hope we can fill in the middle a bit.

And I completely agree with your last sentence. Just realized that I partially proved your point when I said that I love it when wrongs are righted. If I were Batman, for instance, I might be in love with righting wrongs.

Ah see I see that as the difference.
I say love you to people I care about, care for, have friendships with.
I say I love you to those I love deeply, family, and those I am in love with.

The two are certainly distinctive to me.
Your mileage may vary.

And that is exactly the fear I have and from which I was hoping someone would guide me away. I want to hear more from "the classy one" about why she answered no. While I fear that you are correct, my logic tells me that it is not always an intentional differentiation. I want logic to win this time.

And that is exactly the fear I have and from which I was hoping someone would guide me away. I want to hear more from "the classy one" about why she answered no. While I fear that you are correct, my logic tells me that it is not always an intentional differentiation. I want logic to win this time.

It may depend on how important words are to the individual saying them. I rarely say things I do not mean, and my words usually have meaning beyond the letters on the screen/page.

Not everyone thinks the way I do however. Many are lighter with their phrasing, especially online.

It may depend on how important words are to the individual saying them. I rarely say things I do not mean, and my words usually have meaning beyond the letters on the screen/page.

Not everyone thinks the way I do however. Many are lighter with their phrasing, especially online.

Agree. Words do have meaning and, like you, I generally give a lot of thought to those that come out of my mouth. Sadly I will admit, though, that I am sometimes careless and less than precise.

But this phrase, the one without the "I", worries me. Sometimes popular culture gives meaning we never intended to words we never considered. And some words or phrases have been subtly changed - perhaps without intention - leaving old geezers like me behind in the process. So I thought I'd throw it out and see what others thought. Thanks so much, LostGirlTink, for sharing your thoughts with me. Its been a pleasure. And maybe, as I mused to the traffic cop last night, a spark of friendship was struck.

By the way, really cool name and avatar. Hope you're not too lost and have plenty of that sparkly stuff to help you find your way.

Hmmm... I think this is actually an interesting question.

I find myself saying "love you" to people who I love and care deeply about and want to let them know that in a brief, quick way, at the end of a phone call or a visit. It's not a romantic use of the word "Love". However, I do say it to my husband too, as we say goodbye, etc.

I tend to reserve "I love you" almost exclusively for romantic love, although I will also use it if I'm having a very emotional conversation with someone who I'm very close to, say a close friend or relative who is very upset about something.

ā€˜Love youā€™ is the super personal in the moment I love you.
ā€˜I love youā€™ is the, in the passing lesser personal/specific love you
šŸ’– šŸ’— šŸ’• thatā€™s some pink hearts because I love you all šŸ’‹

When speaking, "I love you" is the real thing, a commitment. It is not something I throw around casually.

If I say "Love you" there is a pretty good chance that I am mentally spelling it "Luv you" or even "Luv U." It doesn't carry the same weight as the full statement.

When being said to me by someone else, I factor in the circumstances, the moment and the person speaking. The phrase may mean something or it may mean little. I think both phrases are overused and mis-applied.

Hmmm... I think this is actually an interesting question.

I find myself saying "love you" to people who I love and care deeply about and want to let them know that in a brief, quick way, at the end of a phone call or a visit. It's not a romantic use of the word "Love". However, I do say it to my husband too, as we say goodbye, etc.

I tend to reserve "I love you" almost exclusively for romantic love, although I will also use it if I'm having a very emotional conversation with someone who I'm very close to, say a close friend or relative who is very upset about something.

I agree with this...though sometimes the "Love you" has even less impact and can be more of a perfunctory response...

I don't see the difference as distinctly as some others.
When my lust says, "love you, baybee," I don't sit and wonder why he left off the "I"
and when I say "love you, too"
I don't leave off the I as some method of categorizing the level of love.

I think it's in the tone.. the delivery.
If it's a quick "love you" while his hand is not he doorknob and he doesn't bother to look back, it's probably more of a poorly thought habit. I'd probably think the same if "I love you" was delivered in the same careless manner.

I don't see the difference as distinctly as some others.
When my lust says, "love you, baybee," I don't sit and wonder why he left off the "I"
and when I say "love you, too"
I don't leave off the I as some method of categorizing the level of love.

I think it's in the tone.. the delivery.
If it's a quick "love you" while his hand is not he doorknob and he doesn't bother to look back, it's probably more of a poorly thought habit. I'd probably think the same if "I love you" was delivered in the same careless manner.

Someone who actually thought about the question.
Shame she dribbles šŸ˜‚

I feel there is a difference. Mostly, from a situational perspective.

If he and I have been intimate, and after, he takes my face in his hands and gazes into my eyes, I'm thinking a "love you" would throw me off a bit. In that moment, I'd want the full three words. If he's headed out the door to pick something up at the market, then "love you" would be perfect.

There are family members I love without abandon, but I've never said "I love you to them. It's always "Love you." I can't explain fully why it would feel weird to add the word "I" to the love fest, but it would. Perhaps it's a way to keep things on a lighter level?

Good question. Makes me think. Thanks for asking. :)

Back