For the Love of Stephen King

sallysparrow23

Don't blink
It seems like there are a good number of fans here from posts I've seen over time...

This is a place where we can talk about all things Stephen King.

• What's your all time favorite book/short story/writing of his?
  • Do you have a favorite author collaboration that he's done?
  • What series are you working on?
  • Questions before starting one of his books/series?
  • Wanna come in and just exclaim your love and name your favs?
  • Do you have a crush on a character?
  • Do you want to fuck a character? (We've got to make it somewhat sexy, right? ....maybe not. Either way, join us!)
These are just some ideas, you don't have to answer any of these specifically. :)

I got to talking about about The Bill Hodges trilogy with someone, and the book Holly that follows. They made me aware that I need to read the trilogy first before jumping into Holly, and for that I am very grateful, and now I'm motivated to finish the series!

Come on in friends, I'll give you a balloon.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Well, Stephen King novels I have read soo far

1. Fairytale- that was amazingly good!!

2. Hearts in Atlantis- wasn't a fan

3. Mr. Mecedes- i think I finished that in a day I couldn't put it down
Finders Keepers- was great
End of Watch- under 129 pages to go

11/22/63 which is the JFk one is next

Had to order Holly bc I am not waiting a week to read it haha
Fairy Tale is the most recent book that I've read of his and I absolutely loved it. It felt really nostalgic to me and I loved that it was a dark fantasy.
I think my favourite book is The Shining, then Salems Lot.
This is my all time favorite, and the Stanley Kubrick film really doesn't compare to the novel and how terrifying it was!

Ooh I'm definitely all for this thread although I have a LOT of catching up to do. Haven't read anything new by him for over 10 years but have all of his classics.
My favourites are IT, The Talisman, Dark Tower series and Insomnia.
Misery is wonderful as is The Dead Zone. The Stand is compelling. The Castle Rock books were all great and I loved how they all connected in different ways.

oh, I also forgot, I have read and loved Duma Key!! 😍
Yessss I loved this one too. Have you read Bag of Bones?
Ooh I'm definitely all for this thread although I have a LOT of catching up to do. Haven't read anything new by him for over 10 years but have all of his classics.
My favourites are IT, The Talisman, Dark Tower series and Insomnia.
Misery is wonderful as is The Dead Zone. The Stand is compelling. The Castle Rock books were all great and I loved how they all connected in different ways.
Omg I'm all giddy now, thank you for sharing! You've listen several that I've read as well, but haven't read the Castle Rock books yet.

My to read list is growing...
giphy.gif

Book: Dead Zone
Short story: The Reach
The Talisman
The Dark Tower, almost done!
Beverly Marsch 😱
  • Do you want to fuck a character? (We've got to make it somewhat sexy, right? ....maybe not. Either way, join us!)
Gonna say pass for now.

Oh Bag of Bones ❤️
Did you see the adaptation with Pierce Brosnan? Actually wasn't that bad.

I've been listening to Dracula ready for Halloween and it's put me in the mood for Salems Lot.
That's another...I liked Salem's Lot.

I have to wonder...if the reason I don't think I like King's writings is cause I think most screen adaptations were a let down from the book?

Oh Bag of Bones ❤️
Did you see the adaptation with Pierce Brosnan? Actually wasn't that bad.

I've been listening to Dracula ready for Halloween and it's put me in the mood for Salems Lot.
I haven't seen that but now I need to find it! 😍

I read Salem's Lot such a long time ago but it's such a good one! I feel like I can reread his books over and over again and never get tired of the story.
Book: Dead Zone
Short story: The Reach
The Talisman
The Dark Tower, almost done!
Beverly Marsch 😱
Gonna say pass for now.
You don't actually have to answer these, they are just prompts, but thank you for all of your answers and for joining the conversation! 😁

That's another...I liked Salem's Lot.

I have to wonder...if the reason I don't think I like King's writings is cause I think most screen adaptations were a let down from the book?
Honestly, the only true adaptation I've seen is the mini series of The Shining from the 1990s. It was not that good, but it followed the actual storyline which was impressive.

Has anyone read Survivor Type?

Probably one of the most disturbing things he has written. And I love it!
But yeah he is way out there.
Love the diary format because the insanity gets so real.
Is that one of his short stories? I do remember that one. I didn't want to read it but couldn't stop!

I'm so bad for remembering most of the names of the short ones but I love that he compares them to a "kiss in the dark from a stranger"
Children of the Corn is great. As is You Know They've Got One Hell of a Band. And of course The Body (Stand By Me) and Shawshank both came from the same collection and they're two of the best adaptations

Is that one of his short stories? I do remember that one. I didn't want to read it but couldn't stop!

I'm so bad for remembering most of the names of the short ones but I love that he compares them to a "kiss in the dark from a stranger"
Children of the Corn is great. As is You Know They've Got One Hell of a Band. And of course The Body (Stand By Me) and Shawshank both came from the same collection and they're two of the best adaptations
I've never read The Body but I feel like I need to. How do you feel like the movie Stand By Me compares to the book?

I've never read The Body but I feel like I need to. How do you feel like the movie Stand By Me compares to the book?
Pretty well actually. For me the best adaptations are the ones that remember that the thing King does best is write believable people. So many focus on the scary thing and ignore the fantastic characters. Stand By Me still holds up now because the friendship between the boys is done really well.

Pretty well actually. For me the best adaptations are the ones that remember that the thing King does best is write believable people. So many focus on the scary thing and ignore the fantastic characters. Stand By Me still holds up now because the friendship between the boys is done really well.
Totally agree with this.
No coincidence that the best movies are Stand By Me and Shawshank, the two least scary King movies.

The Stand is my favorite. I’ve read it 3 times through the years and it ages well. 11-22-63 is a great read. For short stories/novellas, The Body and Shawshank are outstanding as is The Green Mile.

I’m envious of SK. He has a sick, twisted mind and makes millions from it!

This is a great point. I feel the same way about It- though it's terrifying, I loved the relationships between the childhood friends and how your could feel the deep level of their friendship. Great point!

I am a huge fan of King.
I was just having a discussion about how Pet Semetary hits differently as a parent
Oh a friend of mine started reading it recently and messaged me to ask if a certain thing happens and when I said it does she stopped reading.
I haven't revisited that since being a parent and I'm not sure I could now even though it's a really good exploration of grief.
I also haven't reread Rose Madder or Dolores Claiborne since leaving an awful relationship. Not sure how I'd be able to handle those now

Back