If you have been diagnosed with ADHD...

Drobabes

Sweet'n'Sour
Just curious of other people's experiences with ADHD and getting a diagnosis. Feel free to share if you feel comfortable, or even better, if you thought you had ADHD but it ended up being something else entirely: would love to hear how or why that got discovered!

-When did you first start noticing things were a bit out of the norm?
-What did you struggle with? Maybe still struggle with?
-Any symptoms that were difficult to explain, or maybe not a 'normal' ADHD thing? I've heard a lot of women go undiagnosed because it presents differently
-What are your thoughts on the whole link between light sensitivity, being a night owl, and ADHD?
-What are your thoughts on how things can overlap and get confused with ADHD symptoms, such as trauma, depression, and anxiety disorders?

Might be seeking or a diagnosis myself in the next few years, but I also have a butt load of trauma and I'm not sure where certain things begin, and others end.

I am. Not Female .. I am male .. From personal experiences and spending time with others in mental health environment I would say majority if not virtually all mental health issues steam from Trauma of some kind .. Many traumas are hidden or ignored .. I am in Australia and unfortunately like so many other countries world wide mental health services are low on the ground .. Just recently their appears to be the belief by some of damage trauma can disrupt ones mental health thus life .. The old saying you can not blame your childhood for how you behave as an adult .. Or another phrase .. How long are you going to blame your poor behaviour on your childhood .. Well guess what to tackle those way back traumas is the start of moving forward in the idealistic world but unfortunately it's a slow process and to much money to be made out of chemical drugs to correct Chemical imbalances in the brain .
Just curious of other people's experiences with ADHD and getting a diagnosis. Feel free to share if you feel comfortable, or even better, if you thought you had ADHD but it ended up being something else entirely: would love to hear how or why that got discovered!

-Any symptoms that were difficult to explain, or maybe not a 'normal' ADHD thing? I've heard a lot of women go undiagnosed because it presents differently
-What are your thoughts on the whole link between light sensitivity, being a night owl, and ADHD?
-What are your thoughts on how things can overlap and get confused with ADHD symptoms, such as trauma, depression, and anxiety disorders?

Might be seeking or a diagnosis myself in the next few years, but I also have a butt load of trauma and I'm not sure where certain things begin, and others end.

I got diagnosed in the last year. I had a therapist suggest I take a self diagnosis years ago and I came up very much “on the cusp” of having ADHD. The difference going through it this time was that I was able to talk to my therapist (different one, who I’ve had a much better experience with) throughout and try to explain some of my answers. She was able to sift through some of my masking that I’ve built up over the years and I actually pretty clearly have ADHD. I now am medicated and it’s been a game changer for me.

For context, I’m 32 and AFAB (assigned female at birth; nonbinary) and I also deal with anxiety, depression, and have a whole load of trauma. I think I was able to actually get the diagnosis this time because I did it with a therapist who was open to talk to me about it and who I actually had done some real work with in terms of my trauma. To answer your specific questions.

When did you first start noticing things were a bit out of the norm?
I’ve always felt like I was different but it wasn’t until I was working from home through the pandemic and my partner noticed some similarities with ADHD tiktokers.
What did you struggle with? Maybe still struggle with?
Focus! Doing tasks that I don’t want to do. Starting and finishing projects/work. I would constantly forget something I promised or planned. I really struggled with focusing on a conversation in a loud place or with music playing that I knew. Some of it is still a struggle but I’ve also found a lot of ways to “hack” my brain and setup systems to help me.
Any symptoms that were difficult to explain, or maybe not a 'normal' ADHD thing? I've heard a lot of women go undiagnosed because it presents differently
Things that I had learned how to mask were the big ones, like jumping in to finish someone’s sentence, zoning out when im not interested in the subject. If you want to hear about more I’d have to go back through my questionnaire.
What are your thoughts on the whole link between light sensitivity, being a night owl, and ADHD?
I’m very light sensitive and a night owl and those I know with ADHD also have the same experience. I haven’t read much research on it but honestly it really makes sense.
What are your thoughts on how things can overlap and get confused with ADHD symptoms, such as trauma, depression, and anxiety disorders?
I think this is something a professional can probably help you with and navigate better than me. But there’s obviously going to be overlap with all of those and they impact each other.

I haven’t read all of these and will say that I can get a little triggered by the tiktok self diagnosers. The benefits of ADHD being in the spotlight though is that I recently applied for a job and throughout the process I was able to confidently share that I have ADHD and how it may benefit the job.
Every experience is valid and many people can and do mask exceptionally well. I was finally diagnosed at 14 and can honestly say that even with medication I struggle to function day to day. I fight really hard to maintain my baseline health and wellness and given that a significant number of people are getting a diagnosis while functioning and holding down work/being financially stable etc etc has lead to people questioning why I can’t do xyz. On the flipside I am well aware that depression and anxiety can mask ADHD symptoms. I have all three and call them the ‘trifecta’.
Please note that I am not saying that an adult diagnosis isn’t valid, in fact they’re immensely beneficial for the person getting the diagnosis. What I mean is that I believe that some of these people aren’t infact ND and are joining the bandwagon.
The biggest issues (imo) for ADHD are:
Rejection sensitive dysphoria
Time blindness
ADHD paralysis (current state)
Body dysmorphia
Sensory processing issues.
Some trauma can mimic ADHD and there are studies showing that stimulant medication may benefit the sufferer.

For many, recognizing ADHD symptoms can be a bit of a puzzle. I started noticing it when I had trouble staying focused on tasks, especially those requiring sustained attention. Organization and time management have been ongoing challenges.
You're right that ADHD can present differently, especially in women. The link between light sensitivity, being a night owl, and ADHD is intriguing, and there might be a connection worth exploring further.
For those interested in understanding more about mental health and therapy, this link https://www.mentalhealth.com/therapy/what-is-dialectical-behavior-therapy-dbt could provide valuable insights. It's all about finding the right tools and support to lead a fulfilling life despite these challenges.

Last edited:
I'm currently on a very long waiting list for a proper assessment.

I'm almost 44 and have been struggling for a long long time with focus, memory, sensory issues - especially too much noise - definite rejection sensitive dysphoria (which has been a lifetime of being told I'm just too sensitive). Body dysmorphia is very likely too. I have real struggles with how I look.

However I also have severe anxiety, long term depression and ptsd which could be somewhat responsible for all of those things or they could all be bouncing off each other.

Hoping the assessment will give me real answers and effective coping strategies for the jumbled mess that is my brain

Hi, I have been diagnosed with ADHD in November and I have medication since January. (German healthcare seems to be better than ist reputation) I am taking Elvanse and it has turned around my life completely. I am getting jobs done, I am less impulsive and in the evening I am tired from productive work and not from wasting my energy for staying on track.
If people ask me whether psychotropic drugs (which ADHD medication is) changed me I give them this metaphor: Before my life was like riding a bicycle, that has loose connection between handlebar and front wheel. The largest part of my energy was invested into staying on the road and not falling and I moved very slowly towards my goals. What the drug does, it repairs that loose screw. So now I make progress into the direction I want. But I am still the same rider and it is the same bicycle.
Some of my experiences eroticized are in this story: https://literotica.com/s/relationship-chemistry

All my stories: here

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was around 50. At that time it apparently was thought that giving Ritalin to someone w ADD was a good thing. I took one Ritalin and literally could not stfu. I can't handle a deluge of pms, especially by alpha males who think they're going to make my day.

I was diagnosed back in the late 70s. Thankfully, I do not have hyperactivity but the difficulty focusing (squirrel!) and learning things without a lot of repetition is problematic. I passed it on to my oldest son, I'm sorry to say, and his is worse than mine, requiring meds.

Diagnosed around 30. Inattentive type. Tried a lot of the meds, concerts worked well. But never really liked the way they “muted” me. I think self awareness is your best friend rather than trying to mask the problem.

I got diagnosed with ADHD since I was a kid... Been on meds a few times in my life... latest is now...

To me, the most difficult part is having people around not understand what ADHD is and that it is real... for me... time is almost not existent... there is a POV of a guy preparing for this doctor appointment... and he starts saying that he is on time and then starts doing all these things... looking for the keys... turning off the lights, checking the lights agian... oh he found his ring... he might need it... its cold so he should get the jacket, where is my wallet? let me put my jacket as I look for it... the keys... yes they are there... ok... lets go... wait... the wallet...
you get my point (btw, that is not how the vid goes exactly, but it is how my life goes! lol)

Another strugle is emotions... I have trauma as well... a lot I think but ADHD I think makes me more suceptible to act into my emotions... I will get angry and offended in 2 seconds and 5 seconds after all is good, you are my friend, nothing happened...

I can not sit still for long periods of time... will move and go here and there...

I got diagnosed with it years ago. I can't watch TV or movies for too long. If my mind isn't stimulated enough I just kind of shut down. I thought I had narcolepsy lol. I also hyper focus on tasks or I struggle getting them done because I can't decide which to do first.

I read "Driven to Distraction" and self diagnosed. Filled in the questionnaire and brought it to my doctor. Her daughter had ADHD and she didn't think twice about writing the scrip. That was about 10 years ago. Vyvanse is da bomb. Night and day. Doctors are your friends.

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid, and I believe I still have it now at 44. I show every classic symptom: Can't focus/hyperfocus, easily bored, hyperactive, executive dysfunction, etc. Combine that with depression and social anxiety, and it's a wonder I accomplish anything at all. 😕

Diagnosed OHI when I was in elementary school. Assumed I had ADHD pretty much my whole childhood but wasn't officially diagnosed until my mid to late 20s. Earlier this year, I got diagnosed Bi-Polar Depression type 2. When that happened, my entire life made so much more sense.

I deal with Hypersexuality, obviously depression, mood swings, inattentiveness, hyper focusing on something, and I feel that instead of being socially awkward, I feel that I am TOO social. Talking with people about anything and everything can be a dangerous line to toe in a relationship. The doc always gets a laugh when I answer her question about my anxiety with, "I have none...cuz I don't give a fuck about 90% of stuff". The depression shows when I've done something wrong or start to feel like I let someone down, primarily my wife or kids. But with what she does for a living, she knows how to handle my issues better than I can.

The hardest part of all of this really, is just remembering to take the damn meds lol

Back