The Official Authors' Hangout National Nude Day 2017 Contest Support Thread

The only downside of breaking the 'rules' of subject matter is that some readers could object, downvote and leave a negative but reasonable comment that influences other readers. I had that reaction for a Halloween contest story featuring costumes and ghosts but not the traditional US-style 'Halloween' itself.

As I have pointed out before, these are story contests. The rules mean that you can't enter a poem.

I highly doubt the readers care, Ogg. Maybe another author might pick up on it and comment, but in general? They're just reading a story in a category they like-as I doubt anyone reads stories just because they are in a contest-and vote accordingly.

Last Halloween Laurel let in a Christmas story. Santa in the title, the tag. X-mas all the way. I have no idea why the author did that...they're prolific, maybe they submitted the wrong story then figured what the hell let it ride?

Point is Laurel let it through showing she pretty much looks at nothing with contest stories and just rushes them through, but more on topic? I saw not one comment saying 'Um, this is a Halloween contest?" and the score was decent showing no indication it was unduly bombed.

It may have been different in the past, but my impression now is we could post something that has nothing to do with the topic and there will be little to no 'calling out' of that.

Well, I'm relieved. Nudity I can do. I was half done and then kind of thought "whooaaaaa, what if I got this wrong" so you've all relieved me of that fear. Work on "The Temptation of Sammi Woo" may now proceed, fears abated. Thank you all :rose:

I highly doubt the readers care, Ogg. Maybe another author might pick up on it and comment, but in general? They're just reading a story in a category they like-as I doubt anyone reads stories just because they are in a contest-and vote accordingly.

Maybe you have been lucky. I have had several anon comments on my contest entries complaining that I wasn't on theme. I don't usually do trick or treat for Halloween. I think Romance is enough for Valentine's Day. I have also had positive anon comments referring to the current contest.

I get many more views, votes and comments on my contest entries than on my non-contest ones. Some of my non contest stories seem to sink without trace taking some time to reach 10 votes.

Cool!

A follow on question. Does the story have to include an actual Nude Day or a Nude Day event? Or just getting down to nudity without a formal Nude Day in the story. That's the bit I'm not clear about.

Each reader enforces their own opinion on that one. The actual rules are pretty wide open and mainly rely on votes to punish theme-shirkers. My entry last year only mentioned Nude Day in a passing conversation that led to some nudity (and sex). One reader commented that I wasn't 'on theme' enough, but it appears they were in the minority because the story still won :D

The year before that, my entry took place at an organized Nude Day festival. The two stories are within .01 of one another, so I conclude readers don't care that much in terms of how they vote. They want sex and a story they can relate to, and, if you can work a little humor in, they seem to like that too.

I tend to use the themes as a springboard for inspiration, then write what I'm excited about.

Maybe you have been lucky. I have had several anon comments on my contest entries complaining that I wasn't on theme. I don't usually do trick or treat for Halloween. I think Romance is enough for Valentine's Day. I have also had positive anon comments referring to the current contest.

I get many more views, votes and comments on my contest entries than on my non-contest ones. Some of my non contest stories seem to sink without trace taking some time to reach 10 votes.

Ogg, it seems to me you submit a lot of stories in the less read categories. Less votes means one or two pissy enforcement votes for not being on-theme enough will drag your score down more.

I hope in the end I will have three stories of which I'll enter two.

One is finished but it is a serious goofball.

Still floating ideas for the main story.

The characters in my main series are going to celebrate Nude Day but as it's a series that will come out before the contest and not be a part of it. But it will be a heck of a lot of fun to write.

Happy writing all!

Ever write a story backward? It's happening to me now, and it's actually kind of interesting.

I started out with a flash of an idea that quickly developed a clear beginning and, a bit later, a clear end, but scant middle. So I dashed off a few pages of beginning, a few more of end, and now I'm filling in the middle. And it's going fine. Goes to show there's no "blueprint" for writing; not for me, anyway. Each story really is its own little universe.

The weird part? I already like this deformed little story about 200% better than my "real" contest entry. Go figure.

I had no issues when I submitted a 'story in doggerel verse' for the April Fools contest last year. I stated it that way in the intro - nothing in the rules that I saw stated that the story needed to be in prose format and I didn't get any pushback on my rhyming lines being something other than a story. The Odyssey is a story in verse too. And an epic poem.[/QUOTE

I don't know. I was simply told that poems weren't allowed. My submission had to be in verse form because it indicated the woman's breathlessness and frantic desperation- it didn't work nearly as well in prose, it lost all its emotion and power. I too thought there was nothing in the rules about it. Indeed, as I remember (and it was some time ago) it simply said it had to be a story. Apparently a story can't be a poem, which was crazy, it ignores ballads. You were lucky. Well done. I like your creativity, your originality, your having a go. Thank you.

I had no issues when I submitted a 'story in doggerel verse' for the April Fools contest last year. I stated it that way in the intro - nothing in the rules that I saw stated that the story needed to be in prose format and I didn't get any pushback on my rhyming lines being something other than a story. The Odyssey is a story in verse too. And an epic poem.

I don't know. I was simply told that poems weren't allowed. My submission had to be in verse form because it indicated the woman's breathlessness and frantic desperation- it didn't work nearly as well in prose, it lost all its emotion and power. I too thought there was nothing in the rules about it. Indeed, as I remember (and it was some time ago) it simply said it had to be a story. Apparently a story can't be a poem, which was crazy, it ignores ballads. You were lucky. Well done. I like your creativity, your originality, your having a go. Thank you.

Only Laurel can give the real answer to this query.

The format of a STORY seems to be anything. The same seems to be true for a POEM. I think the only real difference is the length. A story has to have a minimum of 750 words. A poem can be as short as you like.

If you want to write a story in verse and it will be longer than 750 words I suggest asking Laurel by PM whether it would be acceptable for the contest. If it is, it would be an idea to put a note in the Notes box after the required contest detail, explaining that it is a story in verse form.

Working on the main contest story this weekend - finally got an inkling of an idea.

Generally, unless I'm told to - I never write in first person, yet this story is coming to me in first person so out of my box I go.

I just reposted my old (and honestly favorite Lit story) 2010 Nude Day debacle "Once Upon a National Nude Day"https://www.literotica.com/s/once-upon-a-national-nude-day-1
Writers enjoyed it while non-writing readers hated it - lowest scoring story I ever had here. The new reposting is doing the same. Some things never change. :rolleyes:

And because absolutely nobody requested it, :D my goofball 2017 Nude Day story is a take off (not sequel) of it entitled: "Over the River and Through the Woods on National Nude Day." (that is if the Literotica system will let me do a title that long! :D )

Happy writing everyone!

Working on the main contest story this weekend - finally got an inkling of an idea........

Happy writing everyone!

Me too. Half way thru "The Temptation of Sammi Woo", finished the end, finished the beginning and big chunks of the middle done and I know what's happening all the way through. So now all I have to do is finish it. The hardest part!!!!!

I'd still like to do that skydiving one ("Going down, Skydiver?") - and hey, it's been done and there's the airgasm video to prove it....

Me too. Half way thru "The Temptation of Sammi Woo", finished the end, finished the beginning and big chunks of the middle done and I know what's happening all the way through. So now all I have to do is finish it. The hardest part!!!!!

I'd still like to do that skydiving one ("Going down, Skydiver?") - and hey, it's been done and there's the airgasm video to prove it....
Happy writing!!

A bunny is stirring, its just a matter of can I find time. I'm bogged down in red ink from my editor on my sequel to Abigail.
But the wife's going away next week so Maybe I'll have time then because I won't be distracted.

A bunny is stirring, its just a matter of can I find time. I'm bogged down in red ink from my editor on my sequel to Abigail.
But the wife's going away next week so Maybe I'll have time then because I won't be distracted.

I have too many plot bunnies breeding but none of them are turning into Nude Day possibilities - so far.

Only Laurel can give the real answer to this query.

The format of a STORY seems to be anything. The same seems to be true for a POEM. I think the only real difference is the length. A story has to have a minimum of 750 words. A poem can be as short as you like.

If you want to write a story in verse and it will be longer than 750 words I suggest asking Laurel by PM whether it would be acceptable for the contest. If it is, it would be an idea to put a note in the Notes box after the required contest detail, explaining that it is a story in verse form.

To be honest I put my story, as expressed in a ballad (more than a thousand words) on another site and it was well received with high scores many wonderful comments. I didn't have to beg. Originality isn't so well received here, even in contests. I think it was Lovecraft who said that earlier in this thread. Just a constant gush of the usual and if it's to be acknowledged as being original it has to be many Lit pages long which develops a sameness about it any way. It inures. It's just like circumcision- it's no skin off my nose. I really don't worry about it now, but I did learn through it. I was disappointed but it isn't a smart place to be. I value my friends here more and if people want the same thing over and over, then why shouldn't they get it?

Question about the notes field. We need to put the contest message in so Laurel can spot it and assign the story to the contest.

But I want to put an actual note in there as well to her....if I post the contest message then something else will it screw up getting it in the contest?

Question about the notes field. We need to put the contest message in so Laurel can spot it and assign the story to the contest.

But I want to put an actual note in there as well to her....if I post the contest message then something else will it screw up getting it in the contest?

Would a preemptive PM with the content of the actual note to her be a better idea?

No, I do that all the time.

I just put my note in paranthses right next to the contest note.

Back