The Official Authors' Hangout Halloween 2023 Contest Support Thread

Rustyoznail

Aussie smartarse
Well, it's September, and the Summer Lovin' contest is in full swing. That can mean only one thing - it's time to start cranking out that Halloween story that you've been dying to tell! Let's kick off Autumn 2023 in the northern climes with a new support thread -

Halloween (Oct 31)

1693807213682.png

Themes: scary stuff, costumes, Halloween traditions (trick-or-treating, etc.), etc.

You can begin submitting on (or before): October 2

The last day to submit is October 23

Winners Will Be Announced:
October 30

The author must copy and paste the phrase "HALLOWEEN 2023" to the "Notes to Admin" field of the submission (without the quotation marks).

And please add the tag "HALLOWEEN 2023" (without the quotation marks)

Read Laurel's notice of the start of the contest sticky at the top of the Authors' Hangout (when it magically appears), before submitting and follow the instructions in that thread. I will keep an eye out for that information and update this page as soon as I see it (or as soon as someone points it out to me).

This thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter stories in the 2023 Halloween Contest. For you new writers, this thread is a great place to meet your fellow authors and share ideas, tips, and tricks of the trade.

As the recently departed Ogg always told us, there is an advantage to entering stories in one of Literotica's themed contests. Apart from the possibility of winning, your story gets far more exposure and attention than it would normally do.

Some of that attention might be unwelcome, some abusive, but this thread is a good place to vent after getting that kind of attention. Some of that attention could be appreciative and helpful and this thread is a great place to come and share those accolades.

It's that time! Bring out your masks, candies, and creepy accessories, and prepare to put a spell on your readership.

Oh, and as an added bonus - Season 4 of The Amorous Goods Anthology is running at the same time, which will give you even more exposure! See here for details -
Amorous Goods - a Literotica anthology series - season 4

Last edited:
Thanks for this, Russ.

I *will* submit a story this year.
I finished it while visiting family last month. I still have to edit, and I think there will be a couple of tweaks. It's about 40k words right now, which I think is my longest non-serial story.

I'm going to do this once and for all. A draft of the story already is completely done. Heck, it's been done for over a year. I just need to rework it a bit into the shape I want it.

It began as a sex scene with neither participant likeable, then the events went perpendicular on me. It seemed that this would only work as a fantasy (as in not-conventional-reality, not like a situation either character fantasized about). I have very little confidence in my ability to make this a story that can make sense to a reader, but I have nothing else going on right now. The suspense includes whether I'll feel good enough about this to submit it.

One in the hopper and one halfway done. Neither will be winners but one is a bit different and interesting, I hope.

Unless something literally jumps up and bites me on the ass, I've got nothing and usually never do for this contest.

Well, it's September, and the Summer Lovin' contest is in full swing. That can mean only one thing - it's time to start cranking out that Halloween story that you've been dying to tell! Let's kick off Autumn 2023 in the northern climes with a new support thread -

Halloween (Oct 31)

View attachment 2267945

Themes: scary stuff, costumes, Halloween traditions (trick-or-treating, etc.), etc.

October 30

The author must copy and paste the phrase "HALLOWEEN 2023" to the "Notes to Admin" field of the submission (without the quotation marks).

Read Laurel's notice of the start of the contest sticky at the top of the Authors' Hangout (when it magically appears), before submitting and follow the instructions in that thread. I will keep an eye out for that information and update this page as soon as I see it (or as soon as someone points it out to me).

This thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter stories in the 2023 Halloween Contest. For you new writers, this thread is a great place to meet your fellow authors and share ideas, tips, and tricks of the trade.

As the recently departed Ogg always told us, there is an advantage to entering stories in one of Literotica's themed contests. Apart from the possibility of winning, your story gets far more exposure and attention than it would normally do.

Some of that attention might be unwelcome, some abusive, but this thread is a good place to vent after getting that kind of attention. Some of that attention could be appreciative and helpful and this thread is a great place to come and share those accolades.

It's that time! Bring out your masks, candies, and creepy accessories, and prepare to put a spell on your readership.

Oh, and as an added bonus - Season 4 of The Amorous Goods Anthology is running at the same time, which will give you even more exposure! See here for details -
Ah, I'm ready for this one.

I'm working on an idea that'll cross over with the Amorous Goods event. Just need to make it more halloweeny.

I sat down to write "I don't do Halloween" (cause I don't) when I suddenly realized what a great story that can make

I'm in!
You don't do Halloween? Try writing about it on this side of the world where it's never been a thing. I take my cues from "It's Halloween, Charlie Brown".

You don't do Halloween? Try writing about it on this side of the world where it's never been a thing. I take my cues from "It's Halloween, Charlie Brown".
My neighbor has a four meter tall skeleton in his front yard and the front of his house is covered in spider web and Halloween is two months away.
It's not like me cranking up the AC and writing for the winter holidays, this is dropping trou and letting it hang out there. I don't get it either

It's not really a kids holiday anymore, it's a holiday for people who are old enough to know better but don't give a damn what you think.

(checking on the cost of a plane ticket to Oz...)

For what it's worth, lots of cultures don't just celebrate 'Halloween' around that time of year. You could go with a similar feel, like Day of the Dead... an autumnal celebration... a costumed escape room... or something based around witches.

For once, I have a pretty good idea for this. It's just a question of whether I'll have time to get it on paper.

Bytes would be better than paper. Just saying...
I still find myself saying things like 'put pen to paper' even though I haven't actually done such a thing for many years. It feels more authentic than saying 'put fingers to keyboard' or 'put text to screen'...

Halloween (Oct 31)

View attachment 2267945

October 30

This will be my first Halloween story...had trouble thinking up ideas in the past, but I think I've got one I like...creepy and a little weird...

A reconnecting-friends-to-lovers story with anā€¦ interesting interpretation of the origins of the Wild Hunt legends (Hint: it involves fucking).

Back