Say Something

Thank you! It's weird but I developed stage fright, and couldn't think of anything to say :eek: I need a script or something :D

Did anyone else try recording like 20 times?:eek:

I felt pretty awkward so don't be too harsh.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0hGVdaHgvGs

I agree, it feels awkward, but I think you both sounded great.

I just did one recording because I know that when I let perfectionism out of the basement, it kills the fun and I'm much less likely to get things done.
So no, didn't do it this time but been there, done that and even ended up not finishing at all and not getting a T-shirt.

I said something. You might even be able to hear it over the background noise. But trust me, my rambling isn't worth hearing. And in this one I rambled more than a bearded man with a backpack and Birkenstocks.

I said something. You might even be able to hear it over the background noise. But trust me, my rambling isn't worth hearing. And in this one I rambled more than a bearded man with a backpack and Birkenstocks.

I read this as I was listening to you and I was picturing you as a "bearded man with a backpack and Birkenstocks" eaning against a washing machine. You have given me my morning smile, thanks.

Birkenstocks are in right now, so you're one fashionable rambling bearded man with a backpack doing his laundry. Your voice and choice of words were the epitome of Britishness to me for some reason, really nice. Thanks for participating. :)

Late to the party, but I might have made it work. Maybe.

~M

Thanks! The volume is low, but you sound exactly like I've imagined. Really nice and friendly. I'm glad you powered through the six tries. :)

~M

Why does it sound at first like you are in a tub cutie? :eek:

You might even be able to hear it over the background noise. But trust me, my rambling isn't worth hearing. And in this one I rambled more than a bearded man with a backpack and Birkenstocks.

Sorry mate, I felt a bit more playful while writing yours. Index updated. :D

I decided to offer up a taste of what I sound like on a daily basis. My microphone is apparently starting to die so there's a bit of crackling to get past.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0rQ0hnvAJLY

Really cool to hear your normal speaking voice, too. I can't really tell apart american accents that well, so to me you sound quite General American, too. When I think of Midwestern accent, I always think of the pen/pin thing, but I didn't notice that in your recording. And yeah, I know it's actually a Southern thing too (even primarily Southern, maybe?), but I've known a couple of Midwesterners whose pins and pens merged, so to me that's a definitely Midwestern trait. Rightly or wrongly. :)

I decided to offer up a taste of what I sound like on a daily basis. My microphone is apparently starting to die so there's a bit of crackling to get past.

Sounds like you have a short. Do your kinks extend to your wiring?

Really cool to hear your normal speaking voice, too. I can't really tell apart american accents that well, so to me you sound quite General American, too. When I think of Midwestern accent, I always think of the pen/pin thing, but I didn't notice that in your recording. And yeah, I know it's actually a Southern thing too (even primarily Southern, maybe?), but I've known a couple of Midwesterners whose pins and pens merged, so to me that's a definitely Midwestern trait. Rightly or wrongly. :)

You'll definitely hear a difference if I can manage to record a good example of how I spokw before moving to the Midwest.

Sounds like you have a short. Do your kinks extend to your wiring?

That's entirely possible as the mic is several years old and came with an old digital recorder. I really ought to have a better mic, anyway.

Love your voice and accent but that is one loud washer!

~M
Again, I just love hear the voices behind the written word!
And I hope the party lasts much longer making you non-late.

It's interesting to hear the difference between the two clips.
Thank you for taking the time!

Yes, well, thank you everyone. Especially Mr Wulf...

Just one absurdist analogy and I am forever etched in the collective unconscious of Lit as 'that English guy sitting on a washing machine, naked but for his socks, sandals and Moses beard.' Ah, me, all is vanity saith the preacher.

Yes, well, thank you everyone. Especially Mr Wulf...

Just one absurdist analogy and I am forever etched in the collective unconscious of Lit as 'that English guy sitting on a washing machine, naked but for his socks, sandals and Moses beard.' Ah, me, all is vanity saith the preacher.

I try to do my part. XD

I had always thought that a mid-western accent was supposedly accent free. i would love to hear your New England accent if you are able to do it.

One would have to wait for me to have a few drinks and hangout with my cousins before I could find my original Philly accent.

I am :) I must admit I can't stomach even the smell of the stuff now, though. Too much of a good thing when I was younger, methinks :eek:

Ah, yes :eek: I may have over-indulged in the "Apple Juice +" when I were a young'un - I can't go near anything Cider-like now, either... Ahem!

This could become addicting.

I recorded the first few paragraphs of an unfinished story that features a main character from my hometown in Maine. I thought this might give you a sense of some of the distinctive features of Maine speech in contrast to the non-speech segments of these paragraphs, in which I use my current normal speech.

In addition, after finishing the reading I extemporized on a few other distinctive features of Maine speech. Some of these are present in my everyday speech, even today.

Maine speech.

Back