Do Republicans appreciate what losing Roe V Wade will do to them?

oggbashan

Dying Truth seeker
If Roe V Wade is overturned, and it is feasible because it is bad law, are the Republicans prepared for the backlash? Many states are preparing anti-abortion laws.

But the vast majority of American women will be upset at the imposing of laws reminiscent of Afghanistan's Taliban. Even though they might never contemplate an abortion, the idea that they or their daughters are refused that possibility is alaming.

Even if such legislation was accompanied by an extensive network of contraceptive advice and supplies, it will still be unpopular. Many staunch Republican women could desert their party, particularly if the Democrats promise new legislation to reintroduce abortion and contraception.

The mid-terms are approaching. Roe v Wade could cost the Republicans dearly.

Not necessarily Ogg. They will lose the young, single, female vote but those voters mostly voted democrat anyway. Those losses will be more than balanced out by what is happening at the grocery stores, gas pumps, and the out of control border. Recent polls (CNN) indicates that little will change in the mid-term landscape.

Further, the more violent the demonstrations get the more people will be swayed against those politicos that are allowing those violent protests to occur.

Another interesting voter dynamic to watch is going to be the Hispanic vote. They are overwhelmingly Social Conservatives and Catholic.

Not necessarily Ogg. They will lose the young, single, female vote but those voters mostly voted democrat anyway. Those losses will be more than balanced out by what is happening at the grocery stores, gas pumps, and the out of control border. Recent polls (CNN) indicates that little will change in the mid-term landscape.

Further, the more violent the demonstrations get the more people will be swayed against those politicos that are allowing those violent protests to occur.

Another interesting voter dynamic to watch is going to be the Hispanic vote. They are overwhelmingly Social Conservatives and Catholic.
As is demonstrated in this response, they do not

If I lived in a state proposing to ban abortion, I would move because I have daughters and granddaughters. Even if only I could provide a temporary residence for them.

But I can see a gradual move away from those states so that they become states of men and post-menopausal women. No sensible women would marry a man from that state.

If I lived in a state proposing to ban abortion, I would move because I have daughters and granddaughters. Even if only I could provide a temporary residence for them.

But I can see a gradual move away from those states so that they become states of men and post-menopausal women. No sensible women would marry a man from that state.
Over reaction Ogg. Only a few states have gone the out and out ban route and I suspect that more of the backlash is going to occur at the state level. Many of the states that are proposing restrictions seem to be gravitating towards the EU model of 16 weeks.

Over reaction Ogg. Only a few states have gone the out and out ban route and I suspect that more of the backlash is going to occur at the state level. Many of the states that are proposing restrictions seem to be gravitating towards the EU model of 16 weeks.
But those states that do go the whole hog could suffer.

In the Republic of Ireland, for generations, the Catholic Church has opposed contraception and abortion, yet Ireland has overturned the ban. Many Catholics are unhappy with their Church's strict ban and ignore it. In a secret ballot, they could vote against the Church's rulings.

But those states that do go the whole hog could suffer.

In the Republic of Ireland, for generations, the Catholic Church has opposed contraception and abortion, yet Ireland has overturned the ban. Many Catholics are unhappy with their Church's strict ban and ignore it. In a secret ballot, they could vote against the Church's rulings.
They certainly could and if the voters feel the legislature went to far then that suffering will be richly deserved.

As you pointed out, Roe v. Wade was a horrible decision from a legal standpoint. The court should have never taken it up and left it to the various states way back when.

Personally I believe that 16 weeks is a reasonable threshold along with exceptions for the mother's life, rape, and incest.

But I can see a gradual move away from those states so that they become states of men and post-menopausal women. No sensible women would marry a man from that st
If Roe V Wade is overturned, and it is feasible because it is bad law, are the Republicans prepared for the backlash? Many states are preparing anti-abortion laws.

But the vast majority of American women will be upset at the imposing of laws reminiscent of Afghanistan's Taliban. Even though they might never contemplate an abortion, the idea that they or their daughters are refused that possibility is alaming.

Even if such legislation was accompanied by an extensive network of contraceptive advice and supplies, it will still be unpopular. Many staunch Republican women could desert their party, particularly if the Democrats promise new legislation to reintroduce abortion and contraception.

I empathize with your way of thinking, oggbashan! And kudos for your caring so much for your female family members.

But then: I fear the Republican part of the American public will be swayed to find other reasons for siding with contra-productive ideologies. Or they'll
keep pampering their "social" media accounts instead of waking up politically.

Several of my family friends have had abortions in the UK. For NONE was it a matter of unfettered choice. For all it was because of damaged or non-viable foetuses that were endangering the mother's health. For all It was a hard decision to make.

Yet in some US states, their lives and future health would have been at jeopardy because of reactionary politics. That is cruel.

As I said above: Roe V Wade is a bad law, but ending it abruptly and introducing anti-abortion laws in some states is going too far. What is needed is a realistic system of contraception and abortion when necessary, not political posturing.

Row v Wade was fine for many years but some states took it too far and allowed the murdering of babies ready to be born
One FM legislation would allow a baby to be aborted when the mother is pushing and changed her mind and doesn’t want it and yes she is a Democrat
Row? Murdered babies? Jimminy Christmas. :rolleyes:

Row v Wade was fine for many years but some states took it too far and allowed the murdering of babies ready to be born
One FM legislation would allow a baby to be aborted when the mother is pushing and changed her mind and doesn’t want it and yes she is a Democrat
And if Roe V Wade was overturned and control passed back to the states, what would change about the things you falsely claim happened?

Like all things, when extremists get involved concepts turn into ideologies. Ideologies become movements based on faith. It doesn't matter if that "faith" is in support of God or the Devil, it's still "faith." And either is just as dangerous as the other.

I say let them kill their progeny if they want to. The only ones they harm (outside of the slaughtered) are themselves by reducing their presence in the world and politics. Eventually, they will kill themselves off and we will be done with them.

However, we must also be vigilant of the extremists on the other end and not let them dictate the opposite view and force procreation upon anyone.

I doubt that. Most young people and minorities don’t vote. Only old white people like me vote. Eventually we will be the only ones allowed to vote. Just as it was in 1787.

I doubt that. Most young people and minorities don’t vote. Only old white people like me vote. Eventually we will be the only ones allowed to vote. Just as it was in 1787.
But if young people see their freedoms being eroded by the older voters, they will turn out.

It happened locally. A Conservative seat held for over 100 years was overturned by a student vote.

But if young people see their freedoms being eroded by the older voters, they will turn out.

It happened locally. A Conservative seat held for over 100 years was overturned by a student vote.
You are more optimistic than I am. I vote for the young but unfortunately most old people are conservative.

You are more optimistic than I am. I vote for the young but unfortunately most old people are conservative.
On Thursday my youngest daughter was nearly elected to a council seat for the Greens. My niece was - for the third time...

There's a reason why older people tend to be more conservative, they processed more info during their lives, lean towards stability and tend to resist change. Also, older people are not too keen on the secular transition that younger people tend to engage in, younger people trend out of religious practice and tend to reenter the fold when they have children and raise families. IMHO

That shift as people get older has gotten less and less of a thing over time.

The Roe decision won’t hurt the GOP in the midterms despite wishful thinking by some Democrats.

1. Inflation, crime, the border, Ukraine and other issues rank much higher on the list voter concerns. The economy (inflation, rising home mortgage rates, shrinking retirement accounts) is the top issue by far.

2. Abortion has been baked into election math for year. Voters who prioritize it have been doing so for a long time. They were angry and energized when the Merrick Garland appointment was squashed, when Bret Kavanaugh was confirmed, when RGB died, when ACB replaced her, and when news about strict laws in TX and other states became national stories last year. The Roe decision is just one more event on the list.

3. Emotions swing high on both sides. Plenty of voters in red states are thrilled with the expected ruling. The GOP is doing well in TX, MS, LA, and other states with strict abortion laws. And angry voters in blue states won’t impact what happens in red states

4. Many thought Texas law would hurt the GOP in purple states last year. Instead, VA elected a GOP governor and flipped one of the legislative chambers.

5. SCOTUS decisions are most relevant in presidential elections and Senate elections. Keep your eye on the races that will decide which party controls the Senate. Especially Nevada, New Hampshire, Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. We’ll see soon enough if the polling indicates a change in dynamics of those races in the aftermath of last week’s exciting news.

since you claim this as a truth you should have no problems in finding a fact-checked credible source to cite
Row? Murdered babies? Jimminy Christmas. :rolleyes:
indeed

Back