Worst/Favourite Feedback You've Received

Okay, so lets say you preface it by having one of the other characters in the story remark something like "Tom always did have an uncanny tolerance for alcohol."

Then later in the story they are at a party or a bar and he is drunk yet functioning does that make it more 'believable'?

Yes, it would. Of course it might also muddy up your story. Does the character have to be both drunk and coherent/functioning? Does that serve the plot (or, perhaps, the sex scene)? If not, there's no reason for it to be there at all.

I don't know if that's the case. This is a part of the thread dealing with a gripe about a reader's criticism, which, on the face of what has been given, might be a legitimate criticism.

Yes, it would. Of course it might also muddy up your story. Does the character have to be both drunk and coherent/functioning? Does that serve the plot (or, perhaps, the sex scene)? If not, there's no reason for it to be there at all.

I don't know if that's the case. This is a part of the thread dealing with a gripe about a reader's criticism, which, on the face of what has been given, might be a legitimate criticism.

TBH, the topic at hand has no bearing on the story I am currently working on. I was just reading this thread to sort of see what I could expect feedback wise, and this topic caught my interest.

I think what you said previous post-depends on the reader- would really tell the tale. I have noticed that in erotic fiction people are more forgiving in general over small things like that.

A character that could drink their weight and still be functioning may be seen as sexy in certain story lines-the 'bad boy' type- may work with it.

I will admit if the premise is hot and sex delivers I myself am quite forgiving to details such as we were discussing.

Well, do it if you want. Just don't be surprised if a reader doesn't buy it and posts criticism of your story on that basis. Obviously such as this can get criticism--because it did. If someone wants to criticize a story, of course, they'll find a reason to do so.

favorite feedback

I have posted 7 stories here and my English skills are somewhat lacking at times and i am often attacked for that by people who can't leave their names or emails, which I love btw..

I like when I am attacked for including elements that the reader just doesn't like such as anal sex or bi males.

It is also great when I receive messages telling me how my characters do things in my stories that they really would not do. I mean they are my characters after all.

I have posted 7 stories here and my English skills are somewhat lacking at times and i am often attacked for that by people who can't leave their names or emails, which I love btw..

I like when I am attacked for including elements that the reader just doesn't like such as anal sex or bi males.

It is also great when I receive messages telling me how my characters do things in my stories that they really would not do. I mean they are my characters after all.

You mean the idiots who want fiction to read like reality? Yeah I love those as well.

I've only been using the site to post for a couple of days but so far my favourite piece of feedback is the gentleman who read my story and sent me feedback on it that solely related to my profile picture. Most of which I didn't actually understand.

profile pic

I've only been using the site to post for a couple of days but so far my favourite piece of feedback is the gentleman who read my story and sent me feedback on it that solely related to my profile picture. Most of which I didn't actually understand.

Some people mistake Lit for a dating service. Lol Just ignore the trolls and carry on.

Most of the feedback I get is positive, but I've had a few negative comments, too. I like feedback either way. Some of the negative feedback has been pretty constructive. What doesn't help is when someone doesn't like a story and leaves a non-descriptive complaint about how much the story sucked. I hate those.

New writer here, I had one of the posters who hides his or her identity make comments on grammer and spelling. and for some reason the person is so mean spirited they do it as a personal attack.

mean spirited personal attacks

...yep, that is one of the Joys of the Internet...one can exercise their Inner Bully and be totally anonymous...gives some people a huge feeling of power...

grylion

...yep, that is one of the Joys of the Internet...one can exercise their Inner Bully and be totally anonymous...gives some people a huge feeling of power...

grylion

Also known as 'The greater internet fuckwad theory'.

Keyboard warriors

New writer here, I had one of the posters who hides his or her identity make comments on grammer and spelling. and for some reason the person is so mean spirited they do it as a personal attack.

Plenty of keyboard warriors on the internet - just ignore them. Or distract them with tits.

After reading some of the negative experiences on here, I think I'm going to start leaving more positive feedback when I read stories I like.

The most useful feedback any writer will receive will be at least partially negative. The best piece of feedback I ever had was from someone who broke down one of my stories and went through the whole thing pointing out what he thought I had done wrong and what I could improve. He had some positive things to say about the story but on the whole there was a lot of negative feedback. Constructive negative feedback. I didn't agree with everything he had to say but it make me think about the story and my writing style.

Getting positive feedback of the "Your story is awesome! The best thing on Literotica!" bent is very gratifying but not very useful in pointing out where you went wrong or what you could do to improve. I get the feeling that there are more than a few writers here who aren't interested in improving their work and feel their stories are absolutely perfect as is. Of course, that attitude is hardly limited to Literotica. I've run into a good many writers all over the internet who viewed any sort of negative comments, no matter how mild or constructive, as trolling.

The most useful feedback any writer will receive will be at least partially negative. The best piece of feedback I ever had was from someone who broke down one of my stories and went through the whole thing pointing out what he thought I had done wrong and what I could improve. He had some positive things to say about the story but on the whole there was a lot of negative feedback. Constructive negative feedback. I didn't agree with everything he had to say but it make me think about the story and my writing style.

Getting positive feedback of the "Your story is awesome! The best thing on Literotica!" bent is very gratifying but not very useful in pointing out where you went wrong or what you could do to improve. I get the feeling that there are more than a few writers here who aren't interested in improving their work and feel their stories are absolutely perfect as is. Of course, that attitude is hardly limited to Literotica. I've run into a good many writers all over the internet who viewed any sort of negative comments, no matter how mild or constructive, as trolling.

I agree constructive is very good and honestly this person must have enjoyed the story and felt something about its potential to spend that much time on it.

I also agree that overly gushing comments shouldn't be taken that seriously either.

I work with a vision board. On one side I have some really great comments printed and pasted there for when I need a boost. On the otehr side are some really over the top vicious ones so I don't get to full of myself.

Crit.

I agree constructive is very good and honestly this person must have enjoyed the story and felt something about its potential to spend that much time on it.

I also agree that overly gushing comments shouldn't be taken that seriously either.

I work with a vision board. On one side I have some really great comments printed and pasted there for when I need a boost. On the otehr side are some really over the top vicious ones so I don't get to full of myself.

Having written on here for several years I can tell you anamouse as I call most of the cowards that post negative comments are just trolls. Some are people that just don't have an account or don't want to be identified and one can generally tell them by the fact that their comments are kind or useful even when negative.

User comments have forced me to become a better writer, to really reread my story from a reader’s point of view before i publish it. Treasure the good comments, review the ones that try to improve your writing, and laugh and enjoy the idiots that just don't get it and never will.

P.S. remember that people don’t speak in perfect English, otherwise we would all sound like English butlers, so don’t let your editing program change the flavor of what you want to say.

Dom

That's good that someone left you a detailed critique and that you appreciated it. I've had people leave some comments and I will write them back and ask them what they liked about it. I would do the same with the people who leave negative comments, but they usually don't leave a name.

Having written on here for several years I can tell you anamouse as I call most of the cowards that post negative comments are just trolls. Some are people that just don't have an account or don't want to be identified and one can generally tell them by the fact that their comments are kind or useful even when negative.

User comments have forced me to become a better writer, to really reread my story from a reader’s point of view before i publish it. Treasure the good comments, review the ones that try to improve your writing, and laugh and enjoy the idiots that just don't get it and never will.

P.S. remember that people don’t speak in perfect English, otherwise we would all sound like English butlers, so don’t let your editing program change the flavor of what you want to say.

Dom

Oh I know, spell check always lights up with all my "wanna" and "Gotta" and things like that in my dialogue, but that is how people speak. So I go with it.

Urgh, I forgot this thread was here and made a different one without thinking. I'm not too bright.

Anyway, I received this (genuine) gem today:

:(

What a disgusting little story. The depravity seems endless and I can't wait to read what happens next. The only thing I really didn't like is the next chapter isn't ready to read yet.

The commenter did a good job of faking me out with the subject line and first sentence. I thought I was in for a drubbing. It made me laugh.

Urgh, I forgot this thread was here and made a different one without thinking. I'm not too bright.

Anyway, I received this (genuine) gem today:

The commenter did a good job of faking me out with the subject line and first sentence. I thought I was in for a drubbing. It made me laugh.

I had one like that a few months ago aty first all I saw was the title and I was like uh-oh

I hate almost everything about this series
07/05/10 By: klaxx
but I can't stop reading it. What really does it for me is the bond Mark and Megan have. I absolutely adore how you have developed their characters. You seem to be one of those rare few writers that can make just about any situation work well. Please keep up the excellent work. I can't wait to read more! 10/10

Then same guy a few weeks later.

I hate you.
08/04/10 By: klaxx
I really, really hate you. And if you don't finish this series with Mark and Megan getting together - in love with each other, neither heartbroken or hurting for any reason - I'm going to hunt you down and kill you. Then I will bring you back to life and kill you again. After that, I might get REALLY violent...

(Excellent story, btw. 20/10. Ta!)

and to top it off this was how he nominated me for influential author in the 12th annual lit awards

Wink Lovecraft68
Lovecraft68's Siblings with Benefits series has influenced profoundly, to my very core.

For that, I hate him.

At least he is consistant.

love/hate

I had one like that a few months ago aty first all I saw was the title and I was like uh-oh

I hate almost everything about this series
07/05/10 By: klaxx
but I can't stop reading it. What really does it for me is the bond Mark and Megan have. I absolutely adore how you have developed their characters. You seem to be one of those rare few writers that can make just about any situation work well. Please keep up the excellent work. I can't wait to read more! 10/10

Then same guy a few weeks later.

I hate you.
08/04/10 By: klaxx
I really, really hate you. And if you don't finish this series with Mark and Megan getting together - in love with each other, neither heartbroken or hurting for any reason - I'm going to hunt you down and kill you. Then I will bring you back to life and kill you again. After that, I might get REALLY violent...

(Excellent story, btw. 20/10. Ta!)

and to top it off this was how he nominated me for influential author in the 12th annual lit awards

Wink Lovecraft68
Lovecraft68's Siblings with Benefits series has influenced profoundly, to my very core.

For that, I hate him.

At least he is consistant.

Is this what they call a love/hate relationship?

Worst feedback ever?
Well it's not an actual comment but here goes...

"5265 views - 1 favorites"

That was two years ago, I'm only now starting to write again after being disheartened so much.
It was 0 favorites last time I checked, I am now sending that member a thank you note and continuing hastily with my next stories.

Back