Worst/Favourite Feedback You've Received

My favorite comment I ever saw was not for one of my stories (thank goodness), but I laughed out loud when I saw it in the comments section to someone's story (regrettably, I can't recall whose it was).

It said, and I quote......

"Here's a suggestion for you. Take two weeks off.....and then give up writing all together."

One of many similar:
"Holy FUCK! WHAT A GOD DAMNED,STUPID PIECE OF UTTER CRAPULA!!
To THE JERKOFF WHO WROTE THIS GARBAGE-GO BACK TO PLAYING WITH YOUR SCHMUCK AND THEN HAVE YOUR BALLS CASTRATED!!!!!!!!"

Um.... I think by "crapula" they were trying to say "crap-oh-la" which I hadn't heard in about thirty years and then in the mouth of a thirteen year old.

And I'm virtually certain that when they said "schmuck" they meant "schmeckle" as anyone that even knew someone Jewish would know that a "schmuck" is the person and the "schmeckle" is the dangly bits between his legs.

And "have your balls castrated"? Um... the last time I looked, the definition of castration was the removal of testicles, meaning that this phrase is a trifle redundant.

And, wow, eight exclamation points.

Ok, I'm jealous now. If this gibbering escapee from eighth grade English using terminology he obviously doesn't know isn't the surest sign that you know how to write, I don't know what is. How do I get one of those?

Oh, wait. You posted in "Loving Wives" didn't you.

Strangely enough my favorite comment ever was "nice little spank story." And I was very proud of it lol

Just got this one on Danica, which is almost 500k words :eek:

I loved this story! Thank you so much for sharing it. I don't normally read or enjoy sci fi but you've converted me. I could not put this story down once I started....literally the only time I stopped was when I was falling asleep or my bladder was ready to burst....my pizza delivery guy says thanks too I'm sure lol.

I'm dying to start the next book but debating as I have chores to do that I know won't get done if I start the next book.

I believe that you should seriously consider getting this published in mainstream. Fantastic story, great writing, wonderful characters, I can't say enough good things about it. I'm an avid reader and don't often come across a book that captures me as this one did. Thank you again so much for sharing your amazing talents with us.

My best negative comment was one that left nothing to the imagination: "Crap!"

Nothing else...just: "Crap!" Since it is on a story chapter that is rated 4.72, I proudly left it there for shitz~n~giggles.

My most favorite positive comment is from a short series of stroke stories and still makes me grin when I read it:

"OK, gotta say it. I just wanna fuck the pizza boy! Or the guy who writes them. There's no way you could not be the best fuck of my life! Thanks for the great stories and the many, many hard-ons."

I guess when they start openly lusting after either the characters and/or the author, then you have touched them. ;)

Editing comments

I had a question about moderating comments. I recently posted my first story, and I've gotten some phenomenal feedback, but I got two instances that were a little different. The first was the joyful outrage. It was scathing, bitter, and to the point. I deleted it.

The other was the exact opposite side of the room. This person was excited. A little bit too much so. They wanted to see my main character raped anally and made to swallow his own come. I know that there is a niche for this, but it isn't mine. It made me a bit uncomfortable, so I deleted that.

Now, was I wrong to moderate? I Didn't really feel wrong after the first comment. Writing erotica makes me feel great and turns me on, and I just have to laugh at them trolling. But the second one was someone who enjoyed my work... so I feel a little gray there. How do others feel?

I also edited a couple of comments when I first started posting. One was so homophobic [he didn't like that I had posted a gay incest story under Incest -- apparently two male family members having sex isn't incest -- go figure!] I could not let it stand -- I do not regret removing that one.

The other was just a negative comment that really never said anything. I regret removing that one only because there were a couple of supportive comments in response to it which now make no sense -- oops.

I posted my first story here the other day, and this feedback made me smile way too much:

This is not "smut." You have a wonderful way with words. I loved the line "and although it was winter, the room felt a little bit warmer." This story was delicately crafted and one of the best I've read here in a long, long time. You have real talent and I would love to see another chapter in this story and, also, more of your work. Thank you so much and I look forward to reading more from you. I've already added you and this story to my favorites list.

For the first erotica I've ever put online, the feedback has been pretty awesome. :)

comments

Worst: Not even bad! You write like a schoolboy that just lerned english. Best: Fuck! I never fucked myself so hard!

Since tomorrow is Valentine's Day, I thought the comment I found on "Guitar Me" today was quite nice:

Your stories are like a box of chocolate truffles: melt-in-your-mouth rich and sensuous.

This one made me smile a lot.

Wonderful
01/01/14 By: angeldustja
I recently stumbled upon your series and have become addicted to it so much that I have spent the last 3 days catching up. So please do continue on your history lesson and love story. I hope Lady Arabella ends up happy too as she deserves some semblance of peace.

Lucid and coherent comments sometimes puzzle me when the reader is annoyed about something they read that's not in the story, not that I can find.

It happens to me, too, when I blitz through too many stories at one time, and misplace things in my mind. Its why witnesses are so unreliable TOO MUCH INFORMATION.

bad review

Someone called my story a "vile, rancid piece of crap." That surprised me. I thought it was a bit cliche, but vile? Wow.

This is a laughable one!

He accused a literary character of being an alcoholic! lol Whaaat?! And he actually used his screen name, though I've not included it.

This is the epitome of stupidness!!!

"Hmmm…

I would say that, as currently written - from what the reader has been allowed to see of Hamish, he has a drinking problem, well on his way to becoming an alcoholic if he doesn't do something soon. It may be the it was not the intention to write Hamish this way, but the signs are there. If you don't want him to have a drinking problem, then a little judicious rewriting may be in order at some point. Hamish can easily be cured of his drinking problem - just rewrite a few passages, and voila. Too bad it's not that easy in the real world.

MJ - I'd say if you know a lot of people who drink even more than Hamish, then you know a fair few folk with drinking problems. They may even be high-functioning alcoholics.

The following is from The Mayo Clinic in the U.S., a highly regarded medical institution in the U.S.:

"If you've ever wondered whether your drinking crosses the line into problem drinking or alcoholism, ask yourself these questions:

If you're a man, do you ever have five or more drinks in a day?
If you're a woman, do you ever have four or more drinks in a day?
Do you ever need a drink to get you started in the morning?
Do you feel guilty about your drinking?
Do you think you need to cut back on how much you drink?
Are you annoyed when other people comment on or criticize your drinking habits?

If you answered yes to even one of these questions, you may have a problem with alcohol."

Another source:
"Common signs and symptoms of alcohol abuse include: Using alcohol in situations where it’s physically dangerous, such as drinking and driving, operating machinery while intoxicated, or mixing alcohol with prescription medication against doctor’s orders." (I would include engaging in BDSM play as a situation where it's physically dangerous to use alcohol.)"

He accused a literary character of being an alcoholic! lol Whaaat?! And he actually used his screen name, though I've not included it.

This is the epitome of stupidness!!!

"Hmmm…

I would say that, as currently written - from what the reader has been allowed to see of Hamish, he has a drinking problem, well on his way to becoming an alcoholic if he doesn't do something soon. It may be the it was not the intention to write Hamish this way, but the signs are there. If you don't want him to have a drinking problem, then a little judicious rewriting may be in order at some point. Hamish can easily be cured of his drinking problem - just rewrite a few passages, and voila. Too bad it's not that easy in the real world.

MJ - I'd say if you know a lot of people who drink even more than Hamish, then you know a fair few folk with drinking problems. They may even be high-functioning alcoholics.

The following is from The Mayo Clinic in the U.S., a highly regarded medical institution in the U.S.:

"If you've ever wondered whether your drinking crosses the line into problem drinking or alcoholism, ask yourself these questions:

If you're a man, do you ever have five or more drinks in a day?
If you're a woman, do you ever have four or more drinks in a day?
Do you ever need a drink to get you started in the morning?
Do you feel guilty about your drinking?
Do you think you need to cut back on how much you drink?
Are you annoyed when other people comment on or criticize your drinking habits?

If you answered yes to even one of these questions, you may have a problem with alcohol."

Another source:
"Common signs and symptoms of alcohol abuse include: Using alcohol in situations where it’s physically dangerous, such as drinking and driving, operating machinery while intoxicated, or mixing alcohol with prescription medication against doctor’s orders." (I would include engaging in BDSM play as a situation where it's physically dangerous to use alcohol.)"

That's some very strange advice/feedback. I've never gotten anything remotely similar to that kind of thing.

I also edited a couple of comments when I first started posting. One was so homophobic [he didn't like that I had posted a gay incest story under Incest -- apparently two male family members having sex isn't incest -- go figure!] I could not let it stand -- I do not regret removing that one.

The other was just a negative comment that really never said anything. I regret removing that one only because there were a couple of supportive comments in response to it which now make no sense -- oops.

I have had a lot of this from writing incest stories with gay sex. I think incest is a bigger taboo than gay stuff, so I put all incest stories is in the incest category because I don't want to cause too much offence, but then you get loads of "this isn't in the right place, this is gay" comments anyway.

Comments like this:

SICK SHIT! I would of walked in with. 870 and there would of been some cock made into mince meat!

And my favorite, simply:

Face it, you're gay

As if I might not have realized that I'm turned on by men after writing a story full of gay sex!

I'm a fairly new writer (8 submissions) and it's always exciting to see when someone has commented, either public or via e-mail.

My favorite comment I received was this:

"I Am In Awe, A Terribly Hard...

...Subject to make work, and you've made it so tender, with so much empathy, you are an inspired author! Thank you for sharing this absolutely incredible story, and please write more, I'll read it anytime you find you have the time to write it!"

I don't know why this one stands out for me. It was a comment on my story about a transgendered son who fell in love with his/her mother after a terrible accident involving the abusive father/husband. This particular story has 8 comments at the moment, all good, but for some reason, this one stands out. I don't think of myself as an incredible author, but it's nice to see people enjoying what I write.

I have two comments on two other stories that just make me think, why even bother reading and/or commenting at all?

One was on a second chapter in a series I'm writing. The comment was:

"oh how you have fallen

the first story was so good. i can't enjoy this incest shit"

It's a transsexual/alien story and the first part was just about a girl meeting an alien and having sex with her. In the second chapter she has sex with her mother. Now, I can understand if it turned people who liked the first chapter away, but I clearly stated before the story started that there was incest involved. I just don't understand why you would read it in the first place if you don't like incest.

Another comment I received was on a story about love between two sisters and a part of the comment was this:

"...WARN THE READERS WHEN POSTING LEBIAN SEX IN THE INCEST AREA. that is why there is a subtitle use it properly."

Now, if the title has the words "two sisters" in it and the story begins by telling that the main character falls in love with her sister, I don't know how you wouldn't see lesbian sex coming. Because two sisters having sex is clearly not incest to this person.

Back