When your story makes you emotional

MediocreAuthor

You can call me "M"
I just finished writing a LW story (yes I've gone insane) and in writing it, I got so emotional that I literally cried. I cannot begin to explain to you how strange this is for me. I very seldom cry at media I consume. I cannot remember the last time it happened, but it happened while writing this story.

The story is about a woman who plots against her cheating husband and her best friend... and one scene, while brief, literally brought me to tears. (For the record, to my knowledge, I have never been cheated on {not even when dating} nor have I ever even considering cheating, so I have no idea where this huge flood of emotions came from).

Has this ever happened to you?

I'll get a little teary when writing/reading certain scenes where I am in the characters' heads in a difficult moment, especially those moments where the story seems to be writing itself.

I'm writing a story where a guy finds out his wife has decided to sell him into slavery to pay back all the money she got caught embezzling. (This is an alternate-universe setting where this is legal.) He doesn't even get to say goodbye to his daughter. The sale closes tomorrow and they don't want her distracted going into finals week at college. He doesn't know if his new owner will ever let him visit or call or even write. So he writes her a letter for his wife to give her after finals.

I teared up a bit when I first wrote that scene. I didn't feel that much re-reading it the next day. We'll see how it affects readers.

Im in the middle of my first series. Up to the final chapter of a young couple exploring their sexuality together.
I literally cannot go through and proofread it to post it because every time I do I tear up with tears of joy for this couple.
So kind of the opposite of everyone's experience here.
(Link to series here: https://www.literotica.com/series/se/sparks-of-love The chapters are numbered wrong, but they're listed in the right order)

I cried when I finished Do Not Try This Alone. They were a lovely but imposible (since incestuous) couple that had to end with her saying “This can’t go on. So, goodbye.” Just as he was going off the deep end and planning for some sort of HEA.

I had a similar scenario with the third and final part of my Caring For Carrie series.

Dad and daughter finally fully consummate their incestuous relationship, yet both realize it will be fleeting and must eventually move on from it, for both their sakes.

Not a SAD ending really, just bittersweet.

Wouldn't say I cried. But I felt for both of them, absolutely.

This is apparently far more common than I realized. I'm glad that I'm not the only one.
Yep, as @TarnishedPenny noted, if you aren't emotionally invested enough in the story and characters to show a bit of emotion, it's probably not ripe for release. I might have proof-read that last chapter I posted on Sunday a dozen times, but it still hit the feels every time. Then you hit Publish, and then you get this comment, and it's mission accomplished:

"I definitely teared up when she says 'I want them to know what you meant to me'"

I had a similar scenario with the third and final part of my Caring For Carrie series.

Dad and daughter finally fully consummate their incestuous relationship, yet both realize it will be fleeting and must eventually move on from it, for both their sakes.

Not a SAD ending really, just bittersweet.

Wouldn't say I cried. But I felt for both of them, absolutely.
Yep, sounds very analogous. Except in my case I made the reaction assymetrical. Father begins to lose it and starts to plan for daughter being "the one", just as daughter decides "it obviously can't be, we are playing with fire here, and are way out of our depth, so goodbye." There was even a ring, given but obviously rejected, involved.

Yes. My first story is about a divorced woman who was sexually neglected for a long time. When her son's best friend shows up to help her pack, they sort of seduce each other and have a whirlwind romantic affair. In the end though, they have other lives to get to and stop short of falling for each other. Which they realize is just two steps away, if they aren't careful. It fits the story and I'm happy with it, but it makes me a little sad.

I have to admit, I often get a lump in my throat when reading the conclusion of some of my own stories. Which makes me hope that the readers will get a little emotional, too. Then I know I've done my job and given them something that hopefully tugged at their heartstrings.

Last edited:
I'm showing this thread to my husband when he wakes up in the morning. He teases me that I am the only person that cries from reading stories on lit.
Good to know y'all at least cried for some of the same characters also.

Definitely. I was gutted writing the Christmas break goodbye scene towards the end of my New Man series, and there have been more than a few books I published elsewhere that really got to me. Neighbors in particular was just me bleeding all over the damn page throughout its second story.

Back