Need some advice on how to end my story.

BlinkenLights93

Hopeless Romantic
I have a story I've been working on for a long time, but I am having difficulty with the ending. It's not because I don't know how the story will end, but because I had a specific ending in mind for a character and now that I've really gotten the character fleshed out and developed I am having difficulty following through with my original ending.

Without going into specifics into a yet to be released story, it dealt with a female monster of legend that would drag unsuspecting sailors down to their watery graves. She attempts to do the same with the main protagonist but discovers his innocence which resonates with things that happen in her past. She decides to spare him, and save his life instead and brings him to an uninhabited island. They develop a romance as the protagonist tries to find a way off the island.

The ending in question that I'm having difficulty writing is that I had originally planned for the monster of legend to sacrifice herself to save the main protagonist, completing the hero's journey. I have the written the ending which makes me emotional every time I read it. I fell in love with this character more than I thought I would and I really don't want it to be end for her character.

I have thought of another that's equally as emotional, but leaves her alive to continue their story in the future which I have already started thinking about.

My question is this: Is it possible to include two endings into the same story? Ending A or B, and let the viewers decide which way the story ends? If not, is it possible two release two versions of the story with an alternate ending? I really like both endings but I would prefer the one where she lives only because I didn't think I'd get this attached to the character.

There is no Literotica rule to prevent you including two endings to a story. Depending on how you handle it, readers may get confused.

Just a suggestion. Don’t have two headings Ending A and Ending B. Maybe instead have someone recount the ending and say that no one knows what really happened, but there are two stories told about it. Some say X, others say Y. That might be less jarring.

Emily

There is no Literotica rule to prevent you including two endings to a story. Depending on how you handle it, readers may get confused.

Just a suggestion. Don’t have two headings Ending A and Ending B. Maybe instead have someone recount the ending and say that no one knows what really happened, but there are two stories told about it. Some say X, others say Y. That might be less jarring.

Emily
This is a good idea but definitely doesn't fit the story. I was thinking of cutting the story right before and putting an author's note explaining the different endings and why I decided to do it.

There would also be an author's note in the very beginning explaining that there were two endings if I did that.

Stories with multiple endings have to be marked clearly (chapter number or name) so readers don't get confused by variations of the same story. Add a small Author's Note in the beginning for good measure. Write both endings as you see fit and make sure you mark chapters correctly in a chronological order.

Readers get pissed if a story starts confusing them out of nowhere.

There's no technical reason why you can't include two endings, but my advice would be either A) choose an ending and stick with it - it sounds like your original plan might be the more emotionally wrenching, which might make it more effective; or B) make it ambiguous: foreshadow that the monster might have to sacrifice herself, and have the action tending toward that way, and then write an ending where it's not necessarily clear that that's what happens. Option B will give you a chance to bring her back if you want to, and if you can work out a compelling way to justify it.

Personally, I'd go with option A. It irks me in a story when a writer seems to be setting up the death of a character, only to sort of fake it and keep them around. I would have that reaction, I think, with the alternate ending as well. I often feel that a writer wants to ramp up stakes to get the reader emotionally roped in, but then can't commit to following through.

I think anything where you hedge with the stakes of the story would have to be very compelling for it not to feel a little bit like a cop out. But that's not to say it can't be done.

I had struggled with the same conundrum. In the end, I've gone with just the happy ending.

No rule against multiple endings and no structure here for them, so do whatever you like.

Personally, I'd probably stick with ending A. Writing is about conveying emotion onto the page. It's difficult to do that if you don't feel those emotions strongly yourself when writing. If you have something that has you feeling that emotional then I would stick with it. Go for the emotion. So many authors here write stuff with little to no real passion on the page, so if you truly have that going on I would not waste it.

This is also some sort of magical creature, so who says that she couldn't be brought back to life somehow for a sequel? If Game of Thrones can kill characters and bring them back to life and millions of people eat it up, then so can you.

This feels like one of those situations where you just need to kill yer darling. But hey, what do I know? It's your story. You know it inside and out. I don't know it, so I really can't make that call. Only you know best.

I really like both endings but I would prefer the one where she lives only because I didn't think I'd get this attached to the character.

I'd go with the one you prefer. We all write stuff that we like but don't publish for various reasons. It's another example of "killing your babies."

There's no technical reason why you can't include two endings, but my advice would be either A) choose an ending and stick with it - it sounds like your original plan might be the more emotionally wrenching, which might make it more effective; or B) make it ambiguous: foreshadow that the monster might have to sacrifice herself, and have the action tending toward that way, and then write an ending where it's not necessarily clear that that's what happens. Option B will give you a chance to bring her back if you want to, and if you can work out a compelling way to justify it.

Personally, I'd go with option A. It irks me in a story when a writer seems to be setting up the death of a character, only to sort of fake it and keep them around. I would have that reaction, I think, with the alternate ending as well. I often feel that a writer wants to ramp up stakes to get the reader emotionally roped in, but then can't commit to following through.

I think anything where you hedge with the stakes of the story would have to be very compelling for it not to feel a little bit like a cop out. But that's not to say it can't be done.
What are your thoughts on creating an alternate ending story? I would really like to use this character for future stories and if I kill her off then I won't be able to do that. When I drafted this idea years ago I didn't have the hindsight that I do now about future stories. This was only going to be a one and done as a lot of my stories were but just like them, I found ideas for sequels.

What are your thoughts on creating an alternate ending story? I would really like to use this character for future stories and if I kill her off then I won't be able to do that. When I drafted this idea years ago I didn't have the hindsight that I do now about future stories. This was only going to be a one and done as a lot of my stories were but just like them, I found ideas for sequels.

Do those future stories have to be in chronological order? Is a prequel possible?

Do those future stories have to be in the same quote-'universe'? Like the original Aeon Flux cartoons, she dies in half of them.

She's a mythical creature. Could she be brought back to life?

I fell in love with this character more than I thought I would and I really don't want it to be end for her character.
Maybe have her sacrifice her immortality, to live and eventually die in the world, but she can be with her lover?

That aside, you (and presumably the readers) being in love with a character is not a good reason to not kill her off. If she's not the MC, it can be a very effective ending if the MC benefits from it, but is torn by the loss.

Do those future stories have to be in chronological order? Is a prequel possible?

Do those future stories have to be in the same quote-'universe'? Like the original Aeon Flux cartoons, she dies in half of them.

She's a mythical creature. Could she be brought back to life?
The way the story is written, no. She has limited immortality. She doesn't age but can still be killed by normal means.

I don't see two endings here. The monster making up for the blood she shed by sacrificing herself to save another is thematically the most likely option.

We all fall in love with our characters but always have to choose what's right for the story. Your initial instinct was correct. There's no need to complicate things unnecessarily with multiple endings.
The story makes it clear the sailors in question were not men of good character. They were pirates, some attempted to force themselves on her, others tried killing her, none of them were good men. The MC was the only innocent person she's ever seen.

Maybe have her sacrifice her immortality, to live and eventually die in the world, but she can be with her lover?

That aside, you (and presumably the readers) being in love with a character is not a good reason to not kill her off. If she's not the MC, it can be a very effective ending if the MC benefits from it, but is torn by the loss.
Unfortunately that's not the way the story is written. Her immortality comes from her blood as it's magical/enchanted. Her blood plays a pivotal role in the story.

Thank you all for the advice. I have decided I'm going to follow through with the character's death, but I will also be writing the alternate ending. I will consider releasing it in the future as an alternate ending if the readers want it. I will leave an author's note at the end, saying that I created an alternate ending where the female character lives, and if people request it I will release it.

One thing I have to take into consideration is I'm not really getting the reader's perspective on this, I'm getting the perspective of authors who also read things. Most people want a happy ending and this story would be an emotionally negative story in the end. That's why I'm ultimately conflicted and after writing this character I want to explore other things with it.

Last edited:
Just one person's opinion, for what it's worth.

Pick an ending and go with it. Kill the character or don't. But two endings is just wishy washy.

Commit and stand by it.

I think it's an interesting idea. Given that this is a fantasy story, you could potentially play around with alternate realities, or write in some device for changing reality in some way. You run the risk of generating that same impression of undermining your story's stakes and impact. But if done well it can be landed.

The speculative fiction world is rife with that sort of thing. I'm thinking of Buffy's sister Dawn, written in several seasons in; there's the Star Trek reboots that conveniently give themselves a clean slate with some sci-fi gymnastics. And of course the world of comic books where people come back from the dead all the time, sometimes with new identities and/or shoehorned explanations, sometimes just... not. When writing fantasy you get to make your own rules.

If done well that sort of thing can be particularly satisfying. If not, that's fine too. You might get a couple eye rolls from readers who aren't buying it, but in the end you get to write all the stories you want to write.

Pick an ending and go with it. Kill the character or don't. But two endings is just wishy washy
The problem is I'm getting 4 different answers and not really a concise direction. I'm being told, kill her off, don't kill her off, write multiple stories and do one that you think is best.

I can only speak for myself but if it ever comes down to pleasing the audience or pleasing myself, I'm choosing myself every time. The story is more genuine that way.

I can only speak for myself but if it ever comes down to pleasing the audience or pleasing myself, I'm choosing myself every time. The story is more genuine that way.
If I do that I'm choosing exactly the opposite of what I'm being told to do here lol

Have you considered splitting the difference? Write the ending so that it's up to the readers to decide if she lived or died.

Have you considered splitting the difference? Write the ending so that it's up to the readers to decide if she lived or died.
Not really because the ending is definite. He either escapes the island because of her sacrifice or he chooses to stay with her if she lives. It would be emotional either way but the one where she lives will be a very happy ending. His journey and hers will come full circle and they'll realize that they have everything they need, and he won't want to return to civilization. If she dies, he will be able to escape the island through means I'm omitting for now because the story isn't released.

No rule against multiple endings and no structure here for them, so do whatever you like.

Personally, I'd probably stick with ending A. Writing is about conveying emotion onto the page. It's difficult to do that if you don't feel those emotions strongly yourself when writing. If you have something that has you feeling that emotional then I would stick with it. Go for the emotion. So many authors here write stuff with little to no real passion on the page, so if you truly have that going on I would not waste it.

This is also some sort of magical creature, so who says that she couldn't be brought back to life somehow for a sequel? If Game of Thrones can kill characters and bring them back to life and millions of people eat it up, then so can you.

This feels like one of those situations where you just need to kill yer darling. But hey, what do I know? It's your story. You know it inside and out. I don't know it, so I really can't make that call. Only you know best.
Star Wars killed Darth Maul and Emperor Palpatine and Boba Fett but through various mechanisms, brought them back to life. Nobody liked it. They died as they were supposed to. They brought Ripley back after she sacrificed herself in the Alien franchise. If they bring back Tony Stark for another iron man it will invalidate the hero's journey that he took. Anytime that happens is unsatisfying. If the sacrifice is the emotional conclusion that should be it.

IMHO

I like the idea Emily suggested of an outside observer recount both endings with ambiguity but you made it clear that won't work

I guess I would tell the original story with the emotional death ending and then write another chapter with Title and author's Notes making it clear that this is an alternate story continuation. Basically say "he mourned her death, but what if...." and then continue with your characters. I don't know the story of course but maybe you could use ending B and use your emotional ending A for the second story or the end of the saga wherever that is....

Last edited:
Back