Unhappy Endings

Romance readers are also easily upset by mentions of anything beyond cutesy vanilla sex. They tolerate lesbian romance, but not gay male, and they’re not big on any sex outside the main relationship.

It’s a matter of personal preference how closely you want to pander to reader expectations. I sometimes go against them just for the sake of it, which is pretty immature but funny.

Free line for anyone to use:

But through it all, through all of her wide smiles and raucous laughter and jovial behavior at parties. Through all the quiet times with friends and those closest to her. No one saw her inner feelings, her most closely guarded thoughts. No one felt her deepest pains. Until the day they found her. And the note she left.

The sex is not centre stage enough for Erotic Couplings to work. And it's definitely not non-erotic. Any advice?

Erotic Coupling doesn't get a ton of readers, but to me it really feels like a "anything goes" category in some ways, and that even with a low amount of sex you might get a better response there. But if you truly feel like it's a Romance story, then it ought to go into Romance, regardless of how it will be received. That's my opinion, anyways.

However, if it works for your story, one thing you could try is to leave the ending somewhat vague. Implied sadness. I wrote a story in which it is implied that the main character dies on the final page, but it's not entirely obvious. (He's in a hospital bed and sort of sees an angel, and it's implied it could be either his beloved girlfriend, or an actual angel.) - This was well received and in fact some people sent me feedback asking for what was the "canon interpretation". 😁

Erotic Coupling doesn't get a ton of readers, but to me it really feels like a "anything goes" category in some ways, and that even with a low amount of sex you might get a better response there. But if you truly feel like it's a Romance story, then it ought to go into Romance, regardless of how it will be received. That's my opinion, anyways.

However, if it works for your story, one thing you could try is to leave the ending somewhat vague. Implied sadness. I wrote a story in which it is implied that the main character dies on the final page, but it's not entirely obvious. (He's in a hospital bed and sort of sees an angel, and it's implied it could be either his beloved girlfriend, or an actual angel.) - This was well received and in fact some people sent me feedback asking for what was the "canon interpretation". 😁
This is a good suggestion. I was considering that too - a melancholic but unresolved ending could be powerful. By the way, I took a cheeky gander at some of your stories and noticed you said your native language is Swedish. I wanted to say your prose is really strong, much better than lots of natively written work I see here. Good job!!

Free line for anyone to use:
I like it. Lifelike and tragic; if you haven't already you should write the rest of 'her' story. I'm sure it's worth telling.

A touching paragraph, although riddled with grammar and stylistic errors. ;)
Eh, grammar is malleable to authors. I thought it was quite good :) without changing any words I might make it:

"But through it all - through all of her wide smiles and raucous laughter, and jovial behavior at parties; through all the quiet times with friends and those closest to her - no one saw her inner feelings, her most closely guarded thoughts. No one felt her deepest pains. Until the day they found her -- and the note she left."

To answer the OP’s question, it is possible to have a romance with an unhappy ending. In Eddie’s Christmas Gift the unhappy ending is not foretold (as in Bramblethorn’s story) and one of the main characters is slightly flawed, but readers seemed to appreciate it anyway. Spoiler alert, there is admittedly a tiny positive twist at the end even though one of the main characters has died.

My story, "Throwin' Pennies in the Bay Pt. 02" ended this way:

"So, we're just going to end it? Turn it off just like that," I said, snapping my fingers.

"Sometimes, it's better to rip the bandage off than try to ease it off," Virginia said.

At that moment, our server came up to ask if we were ready to order. I looked at Virginia, who shook her head, and I said to the server, "We're not going to order anything. Just get me the bill for the beers, and we'll be going."

"Yes, ma'am," the server said as he picked up our menus and left.

"So, that's it?" I asked, turning back to Virginia and steeling myself for what was coming.

"Yes, Alex. That's it," Virginia said as she let go of my hand, picked up her purse, stood up, and walked out of my life. She never looked back.

I'll just throw a couple of names out there for consideration: Robert James Waller and Nicholas Sparks

Two of the most popular romance writers since the 90's and both with millions of their stories sold which did not have HEA endings. From "The Bridges of Madison County" to "A Walk to remember" and "Message in a Bottle", readers flocked to these types of romance stories in droves. They're not erotica, but neither are hundreds of the stories within the romance category here.

As long as you don't mislead readers, and you craft a story with a theme and characters that resonate with them, they will be accepting of a ending that isn't HEA. From the way that you describe your story, I believe that most readers would not be disappointed at the end. Not all, but most.

Audience expectations aside, I don't know why these things would constitute something not being a romance.

Can you elaborate on why it fits 'about as well as GM in Lesbian'?

Romance is the focus: the love (and progression of that love) between two characters is the focus.
Romance is a specific genre of fiction. You're talking about something that you think is romantic, which others may or may not agree with, and that's different. Romantic stories are probably welcome in about any category.

The definition of "Romance" was quoted to me by DreamCloud. Check the all-time top list in Romance to figure out who he was. In a Romance, two people who don't know each other at the start of the story meet and find they have a mutual interest in each other. They struggle through obstacles to build a relationship, and they live happily ever after -- or at least, happily for now. The definition used to specify a heterosexual couple. It doesn't now.

The definition came from the Romance Writers of America, and they've changed the exact wording since then. Also, other organizations have somewhat different definitions. I think what they have in common is that a Romance is about building a relationship. Endings may vary.

Putting your story in the wrong category is the easiest way to guarantee a poor reception for your work. Romance might be the worst category for misplaced stories. Last Summer, 8letters posted a summary of scoring results by category. One thing that stood out to me was how the number of "punitive" votes varied from category to category. Punitive voting (my term) forms peaks in the number of 1* votes that is otherwise inconsistent with the vote distribution. From comments I've seen, they're meant to punish the author for story content.

Punitive votes were more common in Romance than in other categories -- possibly in all other categories, though I didn't make a quantitative comparison. They're common because the Romance readers include category police who down-vote misplaced stories. Explore the range in that category at your own risk.

Romance is a small category, both in the number of stories posted and in the number of readers you're likely to get. You're probably better off posting your story to a different category. Mature might be an alternative, but I've never had much success there.

I tried an unhappy ending early on. I still think it was a pretty good ending, but it drew a lot of unhappy comments and a low score. Okay, there's writer's integrity and all that, but there's also making people feel good. I won't try to inflict another Moby Dick (the original, get your mind out of the gutter) on them again.

So I have some experience in this, I also love an inconclusive or unhappy ending. I write some happy endings (because, everything in moderation) but there is a noticeable difference I feel in how well they do score/favorites, view wise.

Take my most recent Misadventures of Cupids Bow which is one of my favorite stories I’ve written of late, those who did enjoy it enjoyed it a lot, but has relatively low scores. I suspect, for a Valentines Day story, it is chaotic, and ends in chaos/unhappy ending.

Now take Conscripting a Brothers Heart also what I thought was a decent story, got low scores. But thankfully a few left feedback on it saying that it “felt incomplete”. I suspect because the ending was not entirely happy, and infact sees the pair going different ways in life.

NOW, take Maternity Hall Pass a story I expected to get worse scores because of the themes of pregnancy, some infidelity, etc. but instead became one of my higher scoring works. In my mind because the ending is happy and the pair in it are together and loving.

Bottom line, I think the Lit audiance for sure favors happy endings. Not to say my writing is perfect and there couldnt be other reasons for the 3 above cases. A bad ending can do just fine, but I think its a harder road if that matters to you.

Putting your story in the wrong category is the easiest way to guarantee a poor reception for your work. Romance might be the worst category for misplaced stories. Last Summer, 8letters posted a summary of scoring results by category. One thing that stood out to me was how the number of "punitive" votes varied from category to category. Punitive voting (my term) forms peaks in the number of 1* votes that is otherwise inconsistent with the vote distribution. From comments I've seen, they're meant to punish the author for story content.

Punitive votes were more common in Romance than in other categories -- possibly in all other categories, though I didn't make a quantitative comparison. They're common because the Romance readers include category police who down-vote misplaced stories. Explore the range in that category at your own risk.

Like I said, the only reason to not put this in Romance is to protect the score.

All other literary reasonings point at Romance.

I'd say go ahead and put it in romance. Romance is a theme and a tone, not any set ending. I've written one Romance and it has a twist ending. Based on comments and rating, I'd judge it was received well. No one complained about the ending.

No, the reason to keep it out of Romance is that it fits better into other categories.

I disagree. Going by what the author has told us about the plot, the main focus is the emotions of the characters and their feelings for one another beyond carnal lust. Again, going by the author's description there seems to be no incest, no group, no supernatural, no BDSM, no toys, heck not even anal, and even if there was an incidental mention of any specific kinks it seems that they would hardly be central to the story.

This story seems to tick all of the boxes for Romance except for the HEA which is not a mandatory box to tick. All of the other categories pertain to kinks so there is no other appropriate category for a vanilla story, so it's Romance or EC and it ticks more than enough boxes for Romance so that is where I would personally put it.

This is a story focused on the emotions and feelings of two characters that love each other. Tell me how that's not Romance.

I disagree. Going by what the author has told us about the plot, the main focus is the emotions of the characters and their feelings for one another beyond carnal lust. Again, going by the author's description there seems to be no incest, no group, no supernatural, no BDSM, no toys, heck not even anal, and even if there was an incidental mention of any specific kinks it seems that they would hardly be central to the story.

This story seems to tick all of the boxes for Romance except for the HEA which is not a mandatory box to tick. All of the other categories pertain to kinks so there is no other appropriate category for a vanilla story, so it's Romance or EC and it ticks more than enough boxes for Romance so that is where I would personally put it.

This is a story focused on the emotions and feelings of two characters that love each other. Tell me how that's not Romance.
Except that it isn't a Romance. As I said in my original post, readers in most any category on Lit will read and enjoy a romantic story. Readers in the Romance category expect the story to be a Romance. Yes there are variations and not every experience is the same.

We have categories so the readers can find stories they do want to read without wading through a lot of stories they don't want to read. Do readers a favor and put your story in the right category.

The story described in the OP may be romantic. Readers in Mature eat up romantic stories involving mature couples -- or at least, that's what I'm told. The story also sounds like one-on-one heterosexual sex, which makes it appropriate for EC. It could get lost in the wash in EC, but it may still get more views than it would in Romance. Romance doesn't have a lot of readers, and well-read stories in Romance are usually contest entries.

Re-reading, it sounds like a typical Lifetime or Hallmark Channel story.

Romance is a specific genre of fiction. You're talking about something that you think is romantic, which others may or may not agree with, and that's different. Romantic stories are probably welcome in about any category.

The definition of "Romance" was quoted to me by DreamCloud. Check the all-time top list in Romance to figure out who he was. In a Romance, two people who don't know each other at the start of the story meet and find they have a mutual interest in each other. They struggle through obstacles to build a relationship, and they live happily ever after -- or at least, happily for now. The [RWA] definition used to specify a heterosexual couple. It doesn't now.

Did it though?

My recollection was that RWA's original definition didn't specify heterosexual; in 2005 there was a proposal to add that requirement, leading to some pretty acrimonious discussion, and the idea got dropped.

Except that it isn't a Romance. As I said in my original post, readers in most any category on Lit will read and enjoy a romantic story. Readers in the Romance category expect the story to be a Romance. Yes there are variations and not every experience is the same.

I totally disagree. There is only one factor that makes this not romance, and that is the lack of HEA, and even that is not required for romance, only for the mostly expected rigid formula. It seems to have everything else but the HEA.

We have categories so the readers can find stories they do want to read without wading through a lot of stories they don't want to read. Do readers a favor and put your story in the right category.

So you advocate pandering to a category audience over writing what you are passionate about because that is exactly what you are describing - and not only that, pandering to those who don't want certain things rather than those who actually want certain things (your own words and emphasis). And why do people pander? One reason only: to protect the score and avoid negative feedback. You can do that if you want, no problem.

This also brings up the point that the categories on lit can be extremely restricting for those who wish to write to please a category audience. There are basically two approaches to publishing on lit. The first is to write to please a specific category audience (which is restrictive due to the limited and inconsistent structure of the categories - certain ideas just don't fall comfortably into any category and hence will never get written by pandering writers) and the second is to write the story that you are passionate about regardless of where it might fit and then worry about fitting it when it is done. It seems that the OP has chosen to write the story that they are passionate about and is now trying to place it. If the OP believes strongly enough that the story has enough Romance elements up front and center despite the lack of an HEA, then Romance is where it goes. If the OP is afraid of a lower score or negative feedback more than they believe in their story then they can run and hide in EC.

Did it though?

My recollection was that RWA's original definition didn't specify heterosexual; in 2005 there was a proposal to add that requirement, leading to some pretty acrimonious discussion, and the idea got dropped.
As DreamCloud described it to me, it was specifically heterosexual. By the time I read the definition on the RWA site, it wasn't specific to heterosexual couples.

So you advocate pandering to a category audience over writing what you are passionate about because that is exactly what you are describing - and not only that, pandering to those who don't want certain things rather than those who actually want certain things (your own words and emphasis). And why do people pander? One reason only: to protect the score and avoid negative feedback. You can do that if you want, no problem.
I advocate writing what you want to write, and putting it in front of readers who are likely to enjoy it.

Maybe the categories are a problem for you as a writer, but they aren't for you. They're for the readers.

There are actually only a few kinds of content that so polarize readers that they need to go to a category specific to that topic. Otherwise, most categories will accept a wide range of kinks. SF&F is probably the overall winner that way. They'll read about anything as long as it's SF&F. As near as I can tell, Romance is pretty restrictive.

I have a Romance that I posted to NonCon because it of its NonCon content, and because the sex was rough even after the NonCon element was resolved. NonCon is one of those polarizing aspects, and I figured the Romance readers wouldn't go for it even if it had a happy ending.

I wrote one sad story. And when I finished, I decided it will never see the light of day. One story I wrote just for myself.

I let my endings be whatever they are going to be--either because it's the most logical outcome at that point (it's often not an ending of anything but this particular story) or because it provides the highest surprise "twist ending" possibility.

Back