Need some advice on how to end my story.

I have been thinking about this for the better part of the day and I have come to the decision I'm going to follow what I think is best for the story. Both endings are going to invoke emotion, so I'm going to pick the ending I think is best. When you read the story, it will all make sense why both endings were equally as valid.

I'm not saying which one I'm choosing because I want to keep it a surprise.

As a reader, I don't like stories with multiple endings. To me, at best it demonstrates indecisiveness on the part of the author. At worse it demonstrates laziness and disrespect toward the audience.

I had originally planned for the monster of legend to sacrifice herself to save the main protagonist, completing the hero's journey.

If the resolution you seek is for the hero to eventually escape the island with the monster still a viable character for future stories maybe she can sacrifice something meaningful, but less permanent than her mortality. She could lose some of whatever power she possesses, or become isolated to the island by allowing him to leave it.

There are sites such as SudoWrite, that while technically AI, they don't write the story for you. You plug in what you have already written and they use AI to generate suggestions. The suggestions are directive and not written samples that can be used to complete the story, thus avoiding allegations of AI generated work.

There is no Literotica rule to prevent you including two endings to a story. Depending on how you handle it, readers may get confused.

Just a suggestion. Don’t have two headings Ending A and Ending B. Maybe instead have someone recount the ending and say that no one knows what really happened, but there are two stories told about it. Some say X, others say Y. That might be less jarring.

Emily
The notion of a sort of erotic Rashomon is nifty one, and I'm a bit surprised now you mention that, there doesn't seem to be much like that on here.

The story is your baby, but if it hurts you imagine how it'll hurt the readers. The best fiction makes us feel, and your story sounds like it'll stay with its audience. If it's thematically appropriate (and not just for shock), which sounds like the case, I would go for your original sad ending.

Back