What are you reading this week?

"The Best of Richard Matheson"
He's credited with inspiring Steven King, and wrote several Twilight Zone episodes. And a few of the stories so far definitely read like Twilight zone episodes. In a good way.

on my kindle: Coco Ma's Shadow Frost - good YA fantasy

my physical book: The Reincarnationist Papers by D. Eric Maikrantz - pretty good modern fantasy about a secret group of people who reincarnate every time they die remembering their past lives once they hit around eighteen. Half way through and enjoying it with no idea where it is going.

To the Land of Long Lost Friends, by Alexander McCall Smith

51m+dsBcM4L.jpg

and

My Sister, the Serial Killer, by Oyinkan Braithwaite

51gcFBRHprL.jpg

He's credited with inspiring Steven King, and wrote several Twilight Zone episodes. And a few of the stories so far definitely read like Twilight zone episodes. In a good way.

He also wrote I Am Legend, a book with a heavy influence on the modern post-apocalyptic and zombie genres. (And a great read, by the way.)

I'm currently reading David Gemmel's Rigante series, and on book 2 now, Midnight Falcon. It's a fantasy-esque re-magining of Celtic tribes warring with Rome in the upper reaches of the British isles ... at least, that's how it reads.

on my kindle: Coco Ma's Shadow Frost - good YA fantasy

my physical book: The Reincarnationist Papers by D. Eric Maikrantz - pretty good modern fantasy about a secret group of people who reincarnate every time they die remembering their past lives once they hit around eighteen. Half way through and enjoying it with no idea where it is going.

You might also enjoy "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August" by Claire North
The basic premise is similar, and I found the writing engaging, and the plot not what I'd assumed in the beginning.

He also wrote I Am Legend, a book with a heavy influence on the modern post-apocalyptic and zombie genres. (And a great read, by the way.)

I'm currently reading David Gemmel's Rigante series, and on book 2 now, Midnight Falcon. It's a fantasy-esque re-magining of Celtic tribes warring with Rome in the upper reaches of the British isles ... at least, that's how it reads.

Yeah, "i am Legend" is mentioned in the preface as one of the reasons the person who compiled the collection was so happy to be asked to do it. I've seen the movie, but not read the book.

I'll say this much, being about halfwaythrough, these stories by Matheson have not suffered from the same problem I've had with a lot of older scifi-ish stories. A lot of the classic scifi from the 60s etc seem dated and done to death, because in the meantime there have been so many newer stories built on the ideas, or tangential to those original ideas, or because the current reality and recent history have overtaken them. Even when I know I'm reading the first popular version of some now common scifi trope, it, well, still reads like a trope. (I'm sure that's heretical, hopefully Chloe won't mistake me for a target on her next troll hunt)

So far in the Matheson book, I've only read one story that seemed dated. The others have been weird enough or ambiguous enough that they seem timeless.

You might also enjoy "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August" by Claire North
The basic premise is similar, and I found the writing engaging, and the plot not what I'd assumed in the beginning.

Thanks for the recommendation - I have heard of that book, will have to check into it. Thanks

Hubby dropped a copy of 'The Eagle of the 9th' on me and told me it was a good read, try it and see. It's a story about the disappearance of the Legio IX Hispana in Britain so I think I'll read that next. I know the legion was last known to be in Scotland in AD120, then no records of it, and we have a recent movie of the book, with Channing Tatum, but I didn't know we had the book itself hanging around.

Hubby loves Romano-British stories and we have several other DVD movies set in the period, 'The Last Legion', a retelling of the Arthur story with Colin Firth (yum!), 'King Arthur' with Clive Owen, set in about 454AD, when the legions were withdrawing from Britain, 'Britannia' with Mackenzie Crook, and 'Boudica' with Alex Kingston, and 'Centurion' with Michael Fassbender and Olga Kurylenko.

Last edited:
Yeah, "i am Legend" is mentioned in the preface as one of the reasons the person who compiled the collection was so happy to be asked to do it. I've seen the movie, but not read the book.

The 2007-ish movie with Will Smith? It was an okay action flick on its own but (as is often the case), so much of the philosophical thrust of the book was left on the cutting room floor.

I hear you about the tropes, though ...

Hubby dropped a copy of 'The Eagle of the 9th' on me and told me it was a good read, try it and see. It's a story about the disappearance of the Legio IX Hispana in Britain so I think I'll read that next. I know the legion was last known to be in Scotland in AD120, then no records of it, and we have a recent movie of the book, with Channing Tatum, but I didn't know we had the book itself hanging around.

Hubby loves Romano-British stories and we have several other DVD movies set in the period, 'The Last Legion', a retelling of the Arthur story with Colin Firth (yum!), 'King Arthur' with Clive Owen, set in about 454AD, when the legions were withdrawing from Britain, 'Britannia' with Mackenzie Crook, and 'Boudica' with Alex Kingston, and 'Centurion' with Michael Fassbender and Olga Kurylenko.

In case he doesn't already know, get your Husband to check out the works of this author...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Scarrow

Many of his books are set in Roman Britain. I have read them all and they are very good.

I happen to live not far from the Antonine wall, the northernmost limit of Roman occupation of this Island. We have a fierce sense of pride around here in Glasgow, that the Romans gave up their push north, when they encountered us!

I am also aware of the argument that what was north of here isn't worth conquering!

For now, we will keep Hadrian's Eagle. Perhaps, in time they will send another "Germanicus", brave enough to come and look for it!

Lucifer: Book One.

I've never seen a comic book character feel so dangerous just...walking around and talking. Sure there's the aspect that he is (mostly) the Biblical Satan, but he can also pass for any type of human man with an intimidating presence, who means what he promises. I always read further to see what he does next.

As for non-picture books, I also got The Pillars of the Earth for Christmas.

The 2007-ish movie with Will Smith? It was an okay action flick on its own but (as is often the case), so much of the philosophical thrust of the book was left on the cutting room floor.

I hear you about the tropes, though ...
There was also an earlier 1971 flick, The Omega Man, with a surprisingly good Charlton Heston in the lead role. Post apocalypse America filmed in (then) current day LA. I suspect not much set dressing was needed. According to Wikipedia, the movie included one of Hollywood's first inter-racial kisses, with Rosalind Cash, who went on to do a bunch of TV.

On my kindle: Patrick Rothfuss' "The Name of the Wind.". Generally I don't like to read a series until it is complete and Name is twelve years old and still no third book in sight, but I've heard so many people rave.

physical book: Brian Freeman's "Deep, Deep Snow." Really good small town detective story.

I recently finished Silvia Morena-Garcia's amazing "Mexican Gothic.". What a twisted, freaky book. One of those up all night reads. Easily see how it was Goodread's horror novel of the year.

Poems Of The Great War 1914-1918 - Luigi Pirandello

An anthology of the War Poets, with offerings from Seigfried Sassoon, Wilfred Owen, Rupert Brooke, Isaac Rosenberg, Ivor Gurney, Thomas Hardy and others. Beautiful, hopeful, poignant, sometimes somber, but always heartbreaking stuff, especially from Owen and Brooke, who were killed in action, and Sassoon, who was decorated for bravery for his actions on The Western Front. Sassoon's 'The Last Meeting' is one of the most poignant poems I've ever read, his tribute to his friend killled in 1916

Last edited:
Once I finish Undercover Kitten latest of the Second Chance Cat mysteries by Sophie Ryan I'm going to start the new Clive Cussler Fast Ice both were released Tuesday.

Revisiting one of my favorite-and criminally underrated horror novels; Wolfen by Whitley Streiber.

Legend of Hell House is in my all time top five horror novels

Flanagan, the director who did Haunting of Hill House and Bly Manor on Netflix needs to adapt this haunted house epic into a series as well.

Legend of Hell House is in my all time top five horror novels

Flanagan, the director who did Haunting of Hill House and Bly Manor on Netflix needs to adapt this haunted house epic into a series as well.

I haven't read Wolfen, but I should get around to it. I liked Strieber's The Hunger. He was a pretty decent writer, and then he got into the Alien abduction stuff.

Everything I've read by Matheson has been good. He was a great one.

I'm reading the memoirs of Barry Sonnenfeld. He's directed some good movies, some not so good, but before that he was the cinematographer on the first few Coen Bros. movies. Kind of interesting how he ended up doing that.

Last edited:
I haven't read Wolfen, but I should get around to it. I liked Strieber's The Hunger. He was a pretty decent writer, and then he got into the Alien abduction stuff.

Everything I've read by Matheson has been good. He was a great one.

I'm reading the memoirs of Barry Sonnenfeld. He's directed some good movies, some not so good, but before that he was the cinematographer on the first few Coen Bros. movies. Kind of interesting how he ended up doing that.

Yeah, WS went off the deep end a little.

The movie adaptation of Wolfen was good as well, but kind of tanked because it came out around the time as America Werewolf in London and the original Howling.

Never heard of Sonnenfield, I read pretty much strictly horror and always have. Matheson has some iconic stories, including I am Legend, the ending of which seriously pissed me off :eek:

Highly, highly, highly recommend this book:

"Topping from Below" by Laura Reese

The author writes romance novels and some thrillers, but this is under a psuedoname. It's very hardcore, as noted if you check the reviews on it.

It's about a woman named Nora whose sister is killed. She suspects who did it, tries to get an answer out of the guy after he's cleared by police. Ends up in a hardcore sexual relationship with him to get the info she wants.

It's a mystery/erotica. It's also the most hardcore writing I've seen in a mainstream publication because it includes details on beastiality and pissing and other things.

Great writing and psychology to it.

Trace Elements by Donna Leon

81t2W0GWxzL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

and

Bertie Plays the Blues by Alexander McCall Smith

81bpnObwijL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

There was also an earlier 1971 flick, The Omega Man, with a surprisingly good Charlton Heston in the lead role. Post apocalypse America filmed in (then) current day LA. I suspect not much set dressing was needed. According to Wikipedia, the movie included one of Hollywood's first inter-racial kisses, with Rosalind Cash, who went on to do a bunch of TV.

And before that, Vincent Price's 1964 "Last Man On Earth".

Me, currently: "Exit Strategy" (book 4 of Martha Wells' "Murderbot Diaries") and "The Duke Who Didn't" (Courtney Milan).

Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler.

Just before that, The Forward Collection. Five short novellas in sci-fi. N.K. Jemisin, Andy Weir, Paul Tremblay, and two others I can't remember.

And before that, Vincent Price's 1964 "Last Man On Earth".

Me, currently: "Exit Strategy" (book 4 of Martha Wells' "Murderbot Diaries") and "The Duke Who Didn't" (Courtney Milan).

Vincent had the original, but I loved Omega Man....probably because of the oh, so cheery end where he's impaled by the spear bt lives long enough to pass off the antidote.

I am Legend's ending pissed me off because the MC had all these guns, then decided to just let the vampires take him....meh. That's why I liked OM version better at least he went down trying.

Back