What are you reading now?

I love John Sandford's books, unfortunately, unlike James Patterson, he doesn't write a book a week...so I've taken to re reading them..since he has probably written somewhere near 50 of em. Although I guess I've read all of them ...but thanks to being old, I don't remember what they were about...so I have many many books I'm looking forward to reading.....now in large print.
I'm reading "Broken Prey"

Oddly enough, for the same reasons as yourself, I just finished my first one. Can't remember the last time I laughed out loud so many times over one book.

Guards! Guards!

(And when I first heard 'Discworld' mentioned, I had figured it to be some sort of Ultimate Frisbee series.)

View attachment 2236794
I'd recommend Mort next, and the introduction of Death as a character (you won't regret it).

I just finished Terry Pratchett's The Color of Magic, the first Discworld series novel. What a hoot. I kept saying, "Wait . . . what?" to myself the entire time reading it. It reminded me a bit of the Hitchhiker's Guide books by Douglas Adams with its madcap humor and reluctant-hero protagonist.

Next up is something totally different--JG Ballard's Crash, a novel about people with a sexual fetish for car crashes. I saw the movie years ago and was intrigued enough to want to read the book.

Both Flesh and Not : Essays by David Foster Wallace

0316224111.01._SX360_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Hadn't discovered this one: an intelligent series of musings on literature (including a guffaw of a book-review), creative writing seminars, tennis, television, and (for writers) a chapter 'Twenty-four word notes' that makes one think about word choices.

Void Moon by Michael Connelly

Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt

Triple Jeopardy by Anne Perry

(but not particularly enthusiastic about any of them)

For shits and giggles, I'm rereading some of the Hop-along Cassidy books. I had to download them, as my father's books were stolen in a break-in years ago.

I'm going to refrain from the smart-ass comment that just burst into my head upon reading your comment.
Marcel Proust's seven-volume novel, "In Search of Lost Time."

It had been gathering dust in the basement for decades. I started it as a teenager but never quite finished. Now, I'm giving it another shot. I'll be occupied for months.

I just started Steve Brusatte's The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs. I've always been a dinosaur fan, so it should be fun.

Marcel Proust's seven-volume novel, "In Search of Lost Time."

It had been gathering dust in the basement for decades. I started it as a teenager but never quite finished. Now, I'm giving it another shot. I'll be occupied for months.
I've started this novel four or five times. I always fade somewhere in the orchard. It's either "great literature" or he's a self indulgent wanker who needed a stronger editor. I can never decide, but he does go on a bit.

New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson. Another novel about a future that’s not dystopian, at least not totally. Sea level has risen to flood coastal cities.

It‘s a long one and I’m about halfway. Very good so far.

Finished New York 2140. It was indeed long and it dragged because I failed to become immersed in it. It reads too much like a nonfiction prescription for how to improve the world. Interesting but not engrossing.

Now for something completely different, The Deep Blue Good-By by John D MacDonald. The classic first Travis McGee novel. Pure fun and a quick read.

I just finished Steve Brusatte's The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs and have begun his follow-up book The Rise and Reign of the Mammals.

"Sapiens A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari
Their analysis does not bode well for this planet...

Still reading the Rise and Reign of the Mammals. All the scientific names, most of them unfamiliar, are slowing me down.

Still reading the Rise and Reign of the Mammals. All the scientific names, most of them unfamiliar, are slowing me down.
Excellent book. Don't worry about the terminology, you will get the broad strokes of it.

Excellent book. Don't worry about the terminology, you will get the broad strokes of it.
That's my goal! I assume you read the dinosaur book as well? I read that first. As a lifelong dinosaur fan I was enthralled. But this one is interesting because there's much more of the story about mammals that I did not know.

Back