What are you reading now?

Nightmares & Dreamscapes - Stephen King

It's one of his short story collections and I'm just finishing up The Night Flier which I think is one of the better tales in the book (the movie of the story is pretty good too)

Slogging through Moby Dick. It has wonderful moments. Perhaps it's the language I'm having issues with. I don't know, I just can't get into it and keep reading. But I'll make it through it sooner or later.

Prince Lestat - Anne Rice.

This copy is autographed by Anne, one of my all time favorite authors. I was so happy I got to meet her a few years before she passed… I still remember the day vividly. I swore I was going to throw up on her I was so nervous. 😂

I just started The Sinful Lives of Trophy Wives. By Kristen Miller..

It’s moving pretty slow, I’m hoping it picks up..

Wise Blood, this is my second reading, still not loving it. While I find it an interesting study of two people trying to come to grasp who they are and what they believe, like all of O'Conner's work, the characters are unlikeable. Taking each chapter as a singular tale, it's great writing. For me, as a novel, following the thread of Hazel Motes's journey to 'salvation' is a difficult concept. Perhaps, not being Catholic, I don't understand how blinding your self is a proper act of contrition and penance for murder.

A Prayer for the Crown-Shy by Becky Chambers. Like all her books, it’s engaging. This one is also very short. A good quick read to pick up at the library.

The book fits into the “solar punk” subgenre which presents optimistic views of the future of life here on earth. It’s a rejection of the endless stream of dystopian future stories.

Just finished re-reading Mirrorshades, the Cyberpunk anthology. Some gems in there from a lit point of view, like Snake Eyes, where a couple of characters have neural implants that end up allowing their lower, reptile brains come to the fore, resulting in blacked out animalistic sex and ransacking of the kitchens and the garbage cans... Or Solstice, where the guy had a clone of himself created, but with the XY swapped out for XX by doubling his X, and then raised her as a sort-of daughter and eventually lover, and lost his shit when she got into a relationship of her own.. In Stone Lives a woman had dermal implants that made glowing lines running all through her naked skin.. In Rock On, a Synner is a person who brings music from their bandmates together through feeds into their brain, in a kind of neural group sex type scenario, and one who wants to quit is forced to do it, making it kind of like mind rape.. And of course there's the one where a guy gets turned into a mermaid//person...

Now on to The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian... Looking forward to Belit.

I'm reading the forums.

Yeah...

I'm having yet another moment where I can't find a story to read, so I'm flipping through browser tabs to various websites and reading what people are saying here and there in hopes of something catching my interest. It's not really working...

Donna Leon, Give Unto Others

and

Anne Perry, Triple Jeopardy

(Both authors have died within recent months)

New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson. Another novel about a future that’s not dystopian, at least not totally. Sea level has risen to flood coastal cities.

It‘s a long one and I’m about halfway. Very good so far.

I've finally just started Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, after having heard about it here and elsewhere.

New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson. Another novel about a future that’s not dystopian, at least not totally. Sea level has risen to flood coastal cities.

It‘s a long one and I’m about halfway. Very good so far.
If you like Kim Stanley Robinson, then the Red/Green/Blue mars books are fantastic (though Red Mars is best). Also, I cannot praise "The Years of Rice and Salt" highly enough - without giving too much away it's an alternate history based on the premise that the Black Death killed Europe stone dead.

9780006511489-uk.jpg

For myself, currently working my way through the "Chronicles of Amber" by Roger Zelazny

712jKiOBHXL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I've finally just started Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, after having heard about it here and elsewhere.
Oddly enough, for the same reasons as yourself, I just finished my first one. Can't remember the last time I laughed out loud so many times over one book.

Guards! Guards!

(And when I first heard 'Discworld' mentioned, I had figured it to be some sort of Ultimate Frisbee series.)

0062225758.01._SX360_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

If you like Kim Stanley Robinson, then the Red/Green/Blue mars books are fantastic (though Red Mars is best). Also, I cannot praise "The Years of Rice and Salt" highly enough - without giving too much away it's an alternate history based on the premise that the Black Death killed Europe stone dead.

9780006511489-uk.jpg

For myself, currently working my way through the "Chronicles of Amber" by Roger Zelazny

712jKiOBHXL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
I read the Amber series decades ago and enjoyed it. It had a refreshingly smart-alecky and somewhat cynical tone which I was unaccustomed to, having recently finished reading Tolkien, whose writing is very earnest.

Jay Aury's Villain for Hire, a really fun superhero (or supervillain) erotica novel. It's playful harem smut, well-written and polished, and I'm enjoying it.

Re-reading Reindeer People by Piers Vitebsky. He is an English anthropologist who went to Siberia over the course of a few summers in the 90s/early2000s to spend time with the reindeer herding tribes. Absolutely fascinating stuff about a culture and place which is otherworldly to virtually all of us.

Wrapping up Duleigh's Enchantress.

A wonderful piece of Discworld fiction. Fits right in. There has always been a bit of raunchiness in Pratchett's work (Miss Va Va Voom and her feather dance spring to mind) and Duleigh captures the Disc spirit wonderfully.

Read the Romance of Lust, a 19th-century erotic novel. I thought it would be a fun read. It wasn't. It was a struggle to read, and while some parts were erotic, a lot of the eroticism was exactly the same as the last one it was a shame the writer didn't have a copy and past function. I never saw so many Thrust, Wet-Warm, Lubricity, well-lubricated, plumbed cunt, and the like in my life.

Back