The Ancient and Secret Order of Anon E. Mouse

Salacious_Scribe

is writing 1 handed
One of my kids had to read The Lottery by Shirley Jackson for school. Since I liked the story when I read it decades ago, I reread it and then reviewed his paper on it. I learned a few things...

Apparently these trolls have been around for decades. This is a quote from Shirley Jackson after The New Yorker published it in 1948....

One of the most terrifying aspects of publishing stories and books is the realization that they are going to be read, and read by strangers. I had never fully realized this before, although I had of course in my imagination dwelt lovingly upon the thought of the millions and millions of people who were going to be uplifted and enriched and delighted by the stories I wrote. It had simply never occurred to me that these millions and millions of people might be so far from being uplifted that they would sit down and write me letters I was downright scared to open; of the three-hundred-odd letters that I received that summer I can count only thirteen that spoke kindly to me, and they were mostly from friends. Even my mother scolded me: "Dad and I did not care at all for your story in The New Yorker", she wrote sternly; "it does seem, dear, that this gloomy kind of story is what all you young people think about these days. Why don't you write something to cheer people up?"​

So don't worry about troll comments. Even great writers deal with them.

Something I found interesting... In a later work titled Come Along With Me Ms. Jackson said

Curiously, there are three main themes which dominate the letters of that first summer—three themes which might be identified as bewilderment, speculation and plain old-fashioned abuse. In the years since then, during which the story has been anthologized, dramatized, televised, and even—in one completely mystifying transformation—made into a ballet, the tenor of letters I receive has changed. I am addressed more politely, as a rule, and the letters largely confine themselves to questions like what does this story mean? The general tone of the early letters, however, was a kind of wide-eyed, shocked innocence. People at first were not so much concerned with what the story meant; what they wanted to know was where these lotteries were held, and whether they could go there and watch.

I honestly couldn't tell you which of the bold statements above I find more disturbing. :eek:

I honestly couldn't tell you which of the bold statements above I find more disturbing. :eek:

I didn't find any of that disturbing. The ballet surprised me.

So what does this have to do with anonymous? I expect that most of her letters came with a return address and were probably signed. At the very least, they would have had a postal stamp for where they originated.

I've never understood the complaints about anonymous comments on Lit. I've had signed comments that were as annoying as anything I've gotten anonymously, and some of my favorite comments have been anonymous.

Wow! I love reading about Shirley Jackson getting hate mail for writing one of the most iconic, beloved short stories of all time. (I have actually been trying for years to write an erotic tale highly influenced by The Lottery, which I've never quite been able to get to work.)

I think the thing I love the most about this is that a person would have to read that story, then be so outraged, confused, frightened and emotionally overwhelmed that they would go through the trouble of writing out by hand how upset they were, tracking down the postal address of the writer, walking to the post office, buying a stamp and sending it. It's so much more effort than simply typing "WHORE!" into the comment box and pressing send.

The Lottery scared the shit out of me (in an eye-opening way). I've never heard it characterized as "beloved" before, though.

Wow! I love reading about Shirley Jackson getting hate mail for writing one of the most iconic, beloved short stories of all time. (I have actually been trying for years to write an erotic tale highly influenced by The Lottery, which I've never quite been able to get to work.)

I've had the same idea for years. There was even a thread in the story idea forum a few years back about this. I've gone as far as adding it to my list of ideas.

1-Trolls have been around forever in one form or another, but true Anymouse was born with the internet which is why there are so many more of them and they are so nasty.

2-since there have been trolls there has been whining about trolls.

"The story has been dramatized several times and subjected to much sociological and literary analysis, and has been described as one of the most famous short stories in the history of American literature."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lottery

And yet, I've never heard of it. Makes me think of 'The Wickerman' though.

I would think the Lit version would be less ... ya' know. ... and more where the selected would provide more Lit type services to the masses.

Twas ever thus. Sheridan's play The Critic pokes fun ar critics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C...ed is a,act to be his finest piece of writing.

Ovid complains about critics.

Ovid reports criticism from people who considered his books insolent. Ovid responded to this criticism with the following:

Gluttonous Envy, burst: my name’s well known already
it will be more so, if only my feet travel the road they’ve started.
But you’re in too much of a hurry: if I live you’ll be more than sorry:
many poems, in fact, are forming in my mind.[

Somewhere n an undiscovered cave there is an amazing prehistoric painting of the great mammoth hunt, rendered in incredible detail, and a stone-age troll has drawn a cock underneath it.

Back