Quasi called an author out.

bluerubberone

Virgin
Not sure if I did wrong or not.

Yesterday I read a story that I felt was written using a character chat AI. The story was kind of tough to read and longer than it needed to be (should have been a 3-4 page story instead of 5). It's a new author (2 weeks old) and was their first submission. I left a comment after getting through most of the story, letting the author know that while I enjoyed the type of material he was writing, I found it difficult to keep reading it because it was often circular and redundant when moving the story forward.

I also pointed out that some of the raunchier parts were longer groups of sentences, which felt like inputted material to help steer an AI. I also pointed out that some of the other areas felt much like "steering" was involved. I didn't mention how at times the story went off in odd directions for no reason or explanation. I also didn't point out that the characters felt shallow. I guess I could have added those in as well, but I didn't want to drag the comment on like I am right now.

Anyways, I am wondering if I was wrong to make that kind of comment to a new author? I was polite in my assessment, (which is much more than most can say in comment sections), but today I noticed the story has been removed. I have no idea if the site removed it or the author chose to. My comment never became public, so I don't know if the author even saw my comment, but I kind of felt bad.

Anyways, I am wondering if I was wrong to make that kind of comment to a new author? I was polite in my assessment, (which is much more than most can say in comment sections), but today I noticed the story has been removed. I have no idea if the site removed it or the author chose to. My comment never became public, so I don't know if the author even saw my comment, but I kind of felt bad.
Lit doesn't allow AI derived content. If the story was suddenly taken down, that means it was reported - if someone wants to delete one of their stories, it takes a while.

You describe the call signs for AI content, down to a T.

I wouldn't worry yourself - someone else had the same concern.

It's up to the author now, to make their case. If they know it's AI, they'll probably not do anything, and it will stay down. If it's genuinely their content, it's up to them to argue their case.

It's not necessarily the wrong thing to say if 1) your opinion had a sound basis, and 2) you believed what you wrote. Also, in a case like this I think you owe it to the author to be clear and specific about your grounds for your belief.

It's not necessarily the wrong thing to say if 1) your opinion had a sound basis, and 2) you believed what you wrote. Also, in a case like this I think you owe it to the author to be clear and specific about your grounds for your belief.

I didn't want to be right about my theory, because it was about material I specifically look for. So I was kind of hoping I was wrong and that my comment would help the author do a deep edit scrub of the story and resubmit it. I wasn't as specific as I could have been so I probably would owe an author that much, you are right. But if I am honest about it, I am really confident it was AI, and electricblue's info on how literotica works, basically confirms as much as the story was up only a day.

Lit doesn't allow AI derived content. If the story was suddenly taken down, that means it was reported - if someone wants to delete one of their stories, it takes a while.

You describe the call signs for AI content, down to a T.
Is there anywhere we could see an example of an AI story meant for Lit? I'd love to get more familiar with "the call signs." I don't think I can generate my own example. When I tried to get ChatGPT to write me some BDSM erotica, it got a bout two paras in and then said it could go further because there were rules about hurting people.

I don't think an author can get their stories taken down within a day--that the site process takes longer than that, so I'd think someone else had reported it and the site took it down independent of any comment you made on it.

Is there anywhere we could see an example of an AI story meant for Lit? I'd love to get more familiar with "the call signs." I don't think I can generate my own example. When I tried to get ChatGPT to write me some BDSM erotica, it got a bout two paras in and then said it could go further because there were rules about hurting people.
By "call signs" I mean the give-aways whenever you read current AI content: the repetition, the blandness, the complete lack of connective narrative logic after about six sentences, with an increasing Incoherence in between.

I've seen it in journalism, where presumably a human eye has done some editing, but even so, you could sense the fakeness and repetitive "argument". The fiction I've seen has been worse - it's the unrelated sentences that give it away pretty quickly, to my eye.

If the prompts are being written by weak writers in the first place (who can't be bothered writing their own creative content), then the results perpetuate their bad writing, and it quickly spirals into laziness, repetition, and illogical connections. There's a "feel" to it that I sense. Right now, that "feel" comes pretty fast - it's like the sophomoric story content here on Lit, after about 250 words, I'm out, I don't bother any more.

When AI fiction gets better, I might not be able to spot it, but everything I've seen so far has given itself away. It's so bland, is the best word I can think of. That, and the fictional logic fails.

I read it in college - and his own with Dennett, The Mind’s I think it was called.

Em
Not sure if I have that one. Maybe. Gotta check the dense scientific philosophy shelf. I like Consciousness Explained though. And The Language Instinct by Pinker.

By "call signs" I mean the give-aways whenever you read current AI content: the repetition, the blandness, the complete lack of connective narrative logic after about six sentences, with an increasing Incoherence in between.

I've seen it in journalism, where presumably a human eye has done some editing, but even so, you could sense the fakeness and repetitive "argument". The fiction I've seen has been worse - it's the unrelated sentences that give it away pretty quickly, to my eye.

If the prompts are being written by weak writers in the first place (who can't be bothered writing their own creative content), then the results perpetuate their bad writing, and it quickly spirals into laziness, repetition, and illogical connections. There's a "feel" to it that I sense. Right now, that "feel" comes pretty fast - it's like the sophomoric story content here on Lit, after about 250 words, I'm out, I don't bother any more.

When AI fiction gets better, I might not be able to spot it, but everything I've seen so far has given itself away. It's so bland, is the best word I can think of. That, and the fictional logic fails.
Yet someday, someday they'll build author replicants, and they will be very hard to spot. I'm pretty sure at least that I won't live long enough to see that.

A four-year life-span; that's the answer. And the Voight-Kampff test, of course.

(What were you doing on April 10, 2017?)

Looking at my story list, probably waiting for Jason Clearwater to write his next section of The Floating World, Part Four.
I was being tongue-in-cheek, I didn't think anybody would remember. I hadn't joined Lit yet, although I was writing some stuff for myself, so I can't pin it down. :unsure:

Regarding Blade Runner 1982: there are flying cars, but there are also vehicles on the streets. In one shot there is something that looks like a late 1950's Chrysler. I guess the land vehicles are for the proles? Although, it would be pretty expensive to get parts for a car that is about sixty years old.

Go to Cuba?
It was supposed to be 2019, which was four years ago. Assuming that in this alternative future, Cuba is still like it is now - yeah, I think they make the parts by hand because they can't get parts now. The cars are still there, I think.

There is also a GM "Old Look" bus from the 1950's that has been expanded with a section in the middle. I guess instead of "steampunk," we can call this "gasoline-punk," with a mixture of archaic and futuristic elements? There are also some guys walking around with 1980's punk hairstyles. :unsure: Anyway, amazing production design, yet very weird for its time.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/PM69X8/blade-runner-1982-scene-still-PM69X8.jpg

https://hips.hearstapps.com/amv-pro...ploads/2019/11/ATA110819bladerunner_img02.jpg

There is also a GM "Old Look" bus from the 1950's that has been expanded with a section in the middle. I guess instead of "steampunk," we can call this "gasoline-punk," with a mixture of archaic and futuristic elements?
That's known as diesel punk - it's a whole genre.

Whereas steampunk is more late English/French Victoriana, dieselpunk is 1930s with a strong Nazi vibe (as if the Ostland had become the alternate history). Some brilliant art work, you should check it out.

That's known as diesel punk - it's a whole genre.

Whereas steampunk is more late English/French Victoriana, dieselpunk is 1930s with a strong Nazi vibe (as if the Ostland had become the alternate history). Some brilliant art work, you should check it out.
I was pretty close with the word I made up, but I didn't know about about diesel punk. Thanks, I have to take a look at it.

Back