The mystery of the statistics

Anton25

Really Really Experienced
Looking at the numbers and wondering…how a story gets read? Is it when it is first published that it rockets into the sky…then after it is a new story it disappears into a sea of a million (?) stories..? Then it stays there …smouldering..til one lucky reader gets to read it?

And one other thing..we should vote and comment more! Don’t you think!

Stories get read when a) they are exposed in some way to potential readers, and b) there is something attractive or appealing about the story that makes the potential reader click on it and choose to read it.

Ways that stories can get exposure:

1. Appearing on new story lists.
2. Appearing on toplists.
3. Appearing on contest lists and notices.
4. Appearing on related stories lists.
5. Appearing on one's activity feed as a result of having followed the author of a story.
6. Showing up in search results when readers search by titles, tags, categories, text, etc.
7. Appearing on favorites lists of other authors.
8. Being mentioned in forums.

Ways that stories, once exposed, can draw interest:

1. A catchy title.
2. Effective use of tags and taglines.
3. A great story start with engaging prose, characters, and concept.
4. Good story subject matter that yields a high score.

This is an off-the-cuff, not complete list.

Sigh, I'll never get a 4.5 or Kallzallion reads. I'm stuck in the 3.50 4.4ish zone, and it's as depressing as the friends zone.

Looking at the numbers and wondering…how a story gets read? Is it when it is first published that it rockets into the sky…then after it is a new story it disappears into a sea of a million (?) stories..? Then it stays there …smouldering..til one lucky reader gets to read it?

And one other thing..we should vote and comment more! Don’t you think!
Write new stories and your back catalogue will always see movement.

Yes, there is a "first out the gate" response, which usually sets the story's score, but over time that story can get two or three times those initial views (without much of a shift in score).

Comment more - that would be nice, yes. One comment per thousand views is my bench-mark, which ain't much.

I don’t understand why people are worried about view counts, ratings, comments etc. Really who gives a fuck? Do you write the stories for yourself or for some imagined reaction that you hope you are going to get?

I don’t understand why people are worried about view counts, ratings, comments etc. Really who gives a fuck? Do you write the stories for yourself or for some imagined reaction that you hope you are going to get?
It's fun to play with numbers.

If you're only "writing for yourself", why bother publishing anything?

My philosophy is, once it's written, it should be read. Otherwise it's only solipsism - and if you're the only person inside your head, you don't need to write it anyway.

Because we are social creatures?

Because many of us have written for ages or since we were young and there were few outlets for *this* sort of material and to litmus test whether or not we write authentically on a fundamental human experience?

Yes, there are those who overdo accolade chasing here but the assumption that any interest in the statistics poisons the well of the art is also overdoing it.

For a wide swath of the writing populace here, I assume writing for yourself has to top the list simply b/c all the effort required and motivation to see a project to its end is mostly unsustainable by the promise of adulation alone (especial here where the vote system is archaic and reader interactions limited by subject matter)

Most of us write to engender a feeling in our readers. We discuss the metrics we are limited to b/c they are also can be the tools that help us figure out if we accomplished any of what we set out to do.

My "I write for me" drawer is therapeutic but also a god damn ghost town, population my singular crazy ass.
🤪

Because many of us have written for ages or since we were young and there were few outlets for *this* sort of material and to litmus test whether or not we write authentically on a fundamental human experience?

Yes, there are those who overdo accolade chasing here but the assumption that any interest in the statistics poisons the well of the art is also overdoing it.

For a wide swath of the writing populace here, I assume writing for yourself has to top the list simply b/c all the effort required and motivation to see a project to its end is mostly unsustainable by the promise of adulation alone (especial here where the vote system is archaic and reader interactions limited by subject matter)

Most of us write to engender a feeling in our readers. We discuss the metrics we are limited to b/c they are also can be the tools that help us figure out if we accomplished any of what we set out to do.

My "I write for me" drawer is therapeutic but also a god damn ghost town, population my singular crazy ass.
🤪
I guess it’s just me but I figure if I write for myself, I am never disappointed.

Most of us write to engender a feeling in our readers.
Yes, this. Most of my stories are exercises in empathy. Can I imagine the experience of a person I am not, doing a thing I have not? Can I give a compelling account of that experience to another person?

There's also a certain mountain-climbing aspect to it. Hilary, asked why he wanted to summit Everest so badly, replied, "Because it's there." At some level, I want the red H because red H's exist and I want to know that I can get them. Maybe that'll change once I have more of them.

I guess it’s just me but I figure if I write for myself, I am never disappointed.
It's a healthy attitude and if it's working, don't change a thing.

Just know there are as wide of a spectrum of authors (and their reasons) as there are people.

There's also a certain mountain-climbing aspect to it. Hilary, asked why he wanted to summit Everest so badly, replied, "Because it's there." At some level, I want the red H because red H's exist and I want to know that I can get them. Maybe that'll change once I have more of them.
Water keeps you alive. Too much of it will kill you.

Writing (and life) is about keeping a healthy balance. If red H tracking isn't otherwise hampering/altering your creativities, track away.

Many are very binary in their discussions on this topic. It has always confounded me as it's very much a gray area and most navigate it not in either extreme.

It's a healthy attitude and if it's working, don't change a thing.

Just know there are as wide of a spectrum of authors (and their reasons) as there are people.
True but they all seem bummed out by their views, their ratings and all that stuff. All I see are people complaining and trying to figure out they can manipulate things to get higher scores. They remind me of people in college who don’t learn anything except scrounging for grades. That’s what it’s all about????

I see writing and publishing as a communicative act. I want to say what I want to say, but I also want others to hear it, or read it. That matters to me.

The more people I can reach who like my story, the better. It gives me pleasure to know I've done that.

I've never bought into the notion that you either write for yourself or write for others. It's a false choice. You can do both without compromising anything.

View counts vs. date for some of my stand-alone stories:

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 2.33.48 pm.png
Yes, you get a rush of readers when it first goes up, especially in the first couple of days on the New Stories list. After that it slows to a trickle, but that trickle keeps on going; every year or two will get about as many views as in that first week. If you're posting other stories, or if your story gets into a contest or a top list, that will help its readership too.

And if people liked your story, they may come back to re-read every so often. I think one of my commenters mentioned re-reading one of mine every couple of years.

Mmmm I checked out your profile! No stories you have written?

Some people like to be appreciated. It drives some people to write more. A little clout is nice, even if you aren't writing for it. Most of us write for ourselves in a way. I tell the stories I wanna read, and share with others.

It's like getting that attaboy, slugger with the hair ruffle... didja get that as a kid, did it make ya happy when popa came home after a 14hr shift at the plant, and ya brought him that beer; "attaboy, slugger", and shooed you away to watch the sports highlights. Did it make ya happy?

🤪
Lit has been around close to 25 years so I think the "few outlets" argument sailed a long time ago. There are authors here who have had lit since they began writing and have always known it.

The write for me expression is not to be taken literally-at least in my opinion-to me it means I write the stories I want to write and how I want to write them and from there great if people enjoy them, but if they don't, at least I held true to my idea rather than pander to others.

Back