The mystery of the statistics

Stories get read when a) they are exposed in some way to potential readers, and b) there is something attractive or appealing about the story that makes the potential reader click on it and choose to read it.

Ways that stories can get exposure:

1. Appearing on new story lists.
2. Appearing on toplists.
3. Appearing on contest lists and notices.
4. Appearing on related stories lists.
5. Appearing on one's activity feed as a result of having followed the author of a story.
6. Showing up in search results when readers search by titles, tags, categories, text, etc.
7. Appearing on favorites lists of other authors.
8. Being mentioned in forums.

Ways that stories, once exposed, can draw interest:

1. A catchy title.
2. Effective use of tags and taglines.
3. A great story start with engaging prose, characters, and concept.
4. Good story subject matter that yields a high score.

This is an off-the-cuff, not complete list.
Cheers!

Some people like to be appreciated. It drives some people to write more. A little clout is nice, even if you aren't writing for it. Most of us write for ourselves in a way. I tell the stories I wanna read, and share with others.

It's like getting that attaboy, slugger with the hair ruffle... didja get that as a kid, did it make ya happy when popa came home after a 14hr shift at the plant, and ya brought him that beer; "attaboy, slugger", and shooed you away to watch the sports highlights. Did it make ya happy?
It’s one thing to get praise from your family and friends or colleagues for a job well done. There is real meaning there. Seeking validation from a bunch of strangers on the internet?

It’s one thing to get praise from your family and friends or colleagues for a job well done. There is real meaning there. Seeking validation from a bunch of strangers on the internet?
Interesting analogy because for me, family is obligated to support you(okay, supposed to be, I was raised by wolves) whereas strangers owe you nothing and if you get a positive reaction from them its unbiased.

Lol, I do not post my stories under this userid. That way there is no connection between anything I post here and my stories. I don’t have a death wish!

Actually, I think this is a counterproductive attitude. I'm pretty sure I've benefited, overall, from having just one name and never using an alt. People who read my comments in this forum check out my stories. Some think they suck, sure, but on balance the feedback has been positive and there's no question in my mind that participation in this forum gets one's stories more exposure.

Well it is just another sphere . And better. You dont want to share your sex stories to your parents, do u?

Actually, I think this is a counterproductive attitude. I'm pretty sure I've benefited, overall, from having just one name and never using an alt. People who read my comments in this forum check out my stories. Some think they suck, sure, but on balance the feedback has been positive and there's no question in my mind that participation in this forum gets one's stories more exposure.
Likewise SimonDoom

Lol, says the guy I have on ignore.

Interesting analogy because for me, family is obligated to support you(okay, supposed to be, I was raised by wolves) whereas strangers owe you nothing and if you get a positive reaction from them its unbiased.
So you think the opinions of morons jerking off in a frenzy are worth more than those friends and family who are closest to you? Ok, then.

So you think the opinions of morons jerking off in a frenzy are worth more than those friends and family who are closest to you? Ok, then.
Here's a newsflash shitstain, many people here write this material without the knowledge of friends and family, so the only comments they're getting are from people they don't know.

But at least you accurately described yourself as a moron jerking off in a frenzy.

So you think the opinions of morons jerking off in a frenzy
An incredibly biased oversimplification of readership.

Do some (many?) use Lit solely for sexual release? Sure. But the very nature of many highly rated works here (and authors) speaks to a broader spectrum of readership (and reasons) for engaging with the stories we publish.

Some of the smartest people I've come across in writing circles have been here and, even if they use Lit for that purpose, it doesn't discount what they say after the O fog has lifted.

(if their post are this coherent IN O fog, JFC am I not of the same species AT ALL) 😜

friends and family who are closest to you?
Many of us aren't so fortunate to have normal, supportive close relations. (through no fault of our own)

That forced closeness (along with the social pressure of idealizing "family" by those who have normal ones) can make their significant flaws a serious net negative when strangers can mostly be relegated (through distancing) to a neutral at worst.

The idea of writing smut stories to get a reaction from my family and friends is pretty damn funny. None of them have ever read what I write (as far as I know), and it's going to stay that way.

Like Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire, with regard to the reception to my erotic stories, "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."

Many of the comments seem to suggest that I thought people should be getting approval and comments for their “one hand” stories from their family and friends. Of course not. No one among your family and friends wants to read the perverted degenerate smut that is Literotica. Not even to give you the attaboys you feel that you so richly deserve.

What I was suggesting is that it is sad that people need to be validated by a community of masturbating idiots. In an ideal world, a community of family, friends and coworkers would provide support and validation of yourself as a worthy individual. It is clear that the real world has failed many people.

Well, yes, actually, in terms of biased reaction, friends and family do come below morons jerking off in a frenzy (who don't represent all strangers who read the stories).

Also, asserting you write stories but just not under the name you are posting under is so much meaningless huffing and puffing, as it can't be verified.

Well, yes, actually, in terms of biased reaction, friends and family do come below morons jerking off in a frenzy (who don't represent all strangers who read the stories).

Also, asserting you write stories but just not under the name you are posting under is so much meaningless huffing and puffing, as it can't be verified.
No, it can’t be verified because that would connect this id with the one I post stories under. Eventually I will just junk this userid as well.

No, it can’t be verified because that would connect this id with the one I post stories under. Eventually I will just junk this userid as well.
The point is that it's a waste of breath to claim stories written if they aren't connected to the account you're posting the claims in. A waste of effort. Unless, of course, your accounts are cross-noted in profiles, as I do.

Back