The mystery of the statistics

It’s one thing to get praise from your family and friends or colleagues for a job well done. There is real meaning there. Seeking validation from a bunch of strangers on the internet?
I guess it's like a Jeep thing and you'll never get it. One reason I do it is because people will know my name and hopefully that'll help when I attempt to do this for monetary reasons. And I don't just mean writing erotica and smut... I write other things. My friends and family, save for one, all know I write and don't care. I have one or other two reasons, but I don't think you're the type of person I need tell those to.

Many of the comments seem to suggest that I thought people should be getting approval and comments for their “one hand” stories from their family and friends. Of course not. No one among your family and friends wants to read the perverted degenerate smut that is Literotica. Not even to give you the attaboys you feel that you so richly deserve.

What I was suggesting is that it is sad that people need to be validated by a community of masturbating idiots. In an ideal world, a community of family, friends and coworkers would provide support and validation of yourself as a worthy individual. It is clear that the real world has failed many people.
No, it's sad that the concept of comraderie seems to be a foriegn concept to you. You must be one of those I don't need nobody but me type people. Getting praise from our readers in this hobby is no different than any other hobby. Not everybody is clout chasing and it simply feels good when other people like your stuff. I'm a part of a cycling group and a few have expressed that they like one of the bikes I built. I built it for me, not for praise. Shit dude, it's just fucking nice to be appreciated, how hards that to understand?

Actually, I think this is a counterproductive attitude. I'm pretty sure I've benefited, overall, from having just one name and never using an alt. People who read my comments in this forum check out my stories. Some think they suck, sure, but on balance the feedback has been positive and there's no question in my mind that participation in this forum gets one's stories more exposure.
It sounds really fucking stupid to me.

You really don’t get the point of anonymity, do you? In my case I don’t give a fuck about the ratings, the comments, the views etc etc etc so it’s fine for the stories to be attached to some anonymous userid. Not like all these other smut Jane Austens and Ernest Hemingways!
It doesn't make you any less anonymous than using your main account- people still don't know who you actually are. Even I who use this name everywhere and have done so for near twenty years, am still just as anonymous as you and everybody else here. You may find my face and know my city/state... but you still don't know who I am outside of my post, pictures, and videos- other than my age, if one knew where to look. You sound foolish and paranoid using a fake identity to hide your other fake identity.

Why even publish stories here? None of that matters to you, fine, we don't care about that brag. Everybody has the options to dissable all of that. You seem to care more about why we allow/want those things, than we do about you not doing it. Clearly you want people to read what you write, or you just wouldn't publish at all. That high horse ain't that high.

I don’t understand why people are worried about view counts, ratings, comments etc. Really who gives a fuck? Do you write the stories for yourself or for some imagined reaction that you hope you are going to get?
The question I have is: If it means nothing and you are writing only for yourself, why even publish them? There is only ONE reason to publish here, to allow others (as many as possible) to read them. And the majority who do are interested in the reaction of those readers via comments and scores. Yes some obsess about it and some are more lackadaisical, but few turn off the comments and scoring even though they can.

It's a truth that the vast majority of us humans want some kind of recognition and accolades. It's just human nature. The warm fuzzies from a nice comment or a nice score is that accolade here.

Edit to add: I commented on your post above, but after reading through the rest of the thread I have another question and a comment.

If scores and comments don't really matter to you, why post stories under one name while commenting here under another? It appears you are afraid of repercussions from your comments in the form of low votes or denigrating comments.

And after reading all your posts on this thread the only comment I can add is: Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

Comshaw

Last edited:
Back